Will the Note 10.1 work for me? Pen questions for editing documents

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I am considering buying a Note 10.1 for the s pen feature, but want to ask users here if it will work well for my work flow.

In my work, I review and edit lots of manuscripts. These are either in Word (which is convertible to PDF) or in PDF format. I typically print the documents (usually about 25-50 pages) and mark them up with a pen. I then hand my handwritten notes on the manuscript to the intended person or use them to edit the document myself in word (if I am marking up my own document.)

I would really love a tablet which could replace pen and paper both for reading and for marking up documents and saving the PDFs marked up back to PDF to share and archive. Is the Galaxy Note 10.1 for me? Is it comfortable enough for these purposes? What software would I be using to read / markup PDFs that are 25-50 pages long?

I have an iPad 2 which, although well loved, has failed to replace paper. 1) I don't enjoy reading PDFs on it sufficiently. I guess that is because I own a pre-"retina" model and would be solved by a newer high-resolution device and 2) marking up PDFs is almost worthless on the ipad because of lack of a good stylus and appropriate software.

Would the 10.1 be a good purchase for me? Other there other devices I should consider for reading / marking up PDFs?

Thanks.

prince_totoro

May 15, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I use it for; it's why I bought it. I convert all dox to PDF, mail them to samsung note (others have pointed out that other techniques, such as Dropbox, may be more convenient), mark them up using Repligo PDF reader and my S pen, then mail them back to my colleagues. I went through ~400 pages over the Christmas break this way. Pretty happy with it.

Don't waste time trying to do a document markup using the s pen directly in Polaris for Word documents for your colleagues..... It's like trying to teach French to pigeons - leaves both you and the pigeons frustrated.

I'd be interested to learn if anyone had ever figured out how to do S-pen mark up directly on Word documents using QuickOffice, Kingsoft, etc so that others could then see what you had marked up....I was not able to find one that worked, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a solution out there! :)

Christopher

PS I'd love to use a Surface Pro 2 for a month to see what advantages would exist by staying in the Microsoft ecosystem and using their Wacom pen. Looks neat!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Repligo PDF reader and my S pen, then mail them back to my colleagues.

have you been able to mail the marked documents to your Note and see the mark up on the attached pdf files? when I do that I see the un. marked document. but oddly if I open that same email on my Windows machine, Outlook, the attachment does show the markup, any idea what's going on, or what I am missing?

prince_totoro

May 15, 2011
Visit site
That's funny, I noticed the same problem, too once two weeks ago and it bugged me to death. I had been pretty casual about where I was saving my files and which version I was opening.....so what I started to do was the following, and this has worked extremely reliably since then.

When I receive a PDF in my email program to edit as an attachment, I immediately save it to emulator/o/documents (or something like that - I chose the standard "documents' directory" that we all have access to). Then I immediately close my email program and open Repligo, and have it open the same file from that same directory. Its file navigation tools are clunky but workable. And I always overwrite the same file with the marked up PDF. Then when I want to send my colleagues a copy, I simply attach that file to an email that I send out from my Samsung Note.

Other PDF markup programs exist - foxit, EzPDF - I found Repligo had the features I wanted (palm rejection etc) but it's not perfect either. If you find a better one, do tell.

christopher

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
no it's not a file issue at all. When I email a marked up file, the email goes to my Gmail account. I get that email on the the gmail app on the tablet, and the exact same email on Windows pc, Outlook email client. opening it on the tablet with any pdf reading app (other than repligo) the mark up does not show. When I open the email on the pc I do see the markups.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I totally stopped carrying notepads since getting my Note. I even keep forgetting a pen.There are a few options for annotating PDFs. If dumping paper is your goal the Note is a great way to help get there.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I cracked the code :-D

Here is the issue. All of the usual suspects to read pdf on the tablet, polaris, kingsoff, kindle, for whatever reason do not see the markup, BUT when I downloaded and choose the Adobe reader, the markup IS visible. No idea why, but this is the problem and solution. This is why the markup was visible when opening the same document from my pc,because it opens it with full Adobe Acrobat,