Can't Put Movies D/L'ed from Hub on Micro SD Card. Any Way Around it?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well this just sucks. Was going to spend my $50 and $25 credit on the Hub and Google Play on 5 movies and then use a micro usb to HDMI to watch on my tv. Then thought I better find out if that's doable. NO, it's not :( But I'm BUYING these movies, not renting them. Doesn't matter, still can't do it according to Samsung TS. But, maybe there's an app for that :) I bought the 16GB version for things like this. So does anyone know of an app that will allow me to MOVE movies from Samsung Hub and Google Play to my micro SD card (and have them play on my tv with a HDMI connection)?
Thanks

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well the first hurdle, is finding a cable/adapter to actually WORK for this tablet that lets you output to HDMI. There are a few threads with people (including me) talking about this and not finding great success. Samsungs pin configuration is different and a simple micro usb to HDMI wont work, you need a MHL one, then another little adapter. Samsung does sell one for this tablet, for 40 bucks. The next issue is SAmsung hub. I dont believe they even have the permissions on THIER downloaded content TO stream out to HDMI, ya I know really stupid and annoying of them. For Google play, you can get a Chromecast, pretty good device, and that will wirelessly send any Google Play contect with any TV with a USB port. I have 2 of these for my non smart TVs and while they have their limits, they do a reallly good job with what they can do.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Bumping this to show new solution to this

John Woo!

NAILED IT!

so you CAN infact move samsung donwloaded content to an external sd card AND play them from the card without being on a wifi connection. This is a pretty big deal, never before acknowledged and confirmed.

You have to as said to show the hidden .samsungvideo folder. Once you can see it, the video names are clear in the subfolder. Once you move them to an ext. sd, you have to use the Samsung video player to play them, and you have to navigate to My Video > personal > ext sd (and any sub folder from there)

Very cool update.

Now because of the DRM it can only play on the device it was dl'd from, but I don't think that's much of a problem for many just looking for a way to store a library of content

Thank you John Woo for uncovering the obvious that I and others somehow missed

But once you get there you can tap the desired video and it plays!

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I used a file explore to find the movies move them to my SD card. You won't see them or be able to play them through the hub. I don't use the samsung hub, so it didn't bother me.

Sent from my Note II

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I used a file explore to find the movies move them to my SD card. You won't see them or be able to play them through the hub. I don't use the samsung hub, so it didn't bother me.

Sent from my Note II

You Play them with the Samsung Video Player, the one that is a purple button with a white triangle on it.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It is my understanding that the movies downloaded form the Samsung Hub are DRM protected and once you move it to the SD card, it will not play. I originally bought the 16GB Tablet and went back and exchanged it for the 32GB just for that reason.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
It is my understanding that the movies downloaded form the Samsung Hub are DRM protected and once you move it to the SD card, it will not play. I originally bought the 16GB Tablet and went back and exchanged it for the 32GB just for that reason.

Not exactly true. We now know you can move dl'd movies to an sd card. And you can play them. But I believe you can only play them on the device you downloaded then to.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
But I believe you can only play them on the device you downloaded then to.
...at this point. I have faith that someone will figure out how to take it one step further and be able to convert those pyv movies
into something we can play on all our devices, tvs included. That just really makes me mad that we BUY a movie and are restricted
how and where we watch it. Before too long the industry will tell us that the movie you just bought is only good for 10 viewings!
That's not a problem for me as there have only been maybe 3 movies I've watched more than once, but my grandchildren like to watch them repeatedly.

- - - Updated - - -

But I believe you can only play them on the device you downloaded then to.
...at this point. I have faith that someone will figure out how to take it one step further and be able to convert those pyv movies
into something we can play on all our devices, tvs included. That just really makes me mad that we BUY a movie and are restricted
how and where we watch it. Before too long the industry will tell us that the movie you just bought is only good for 10 viewings!
That's not a problem for me as there have only been maybe 3 movies I've watched more than once, but my grandchildren like to watch them repeatedly.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Not exactly true. We now know you can move dl'd movies to an sd card. And you can play them. But I believe you can only play them on the device you downloaded then to.
Not really, just found out you actually can play purchased contents up to 5 devices. The drawback is, you need media hub installed and redownload the contents with same Samsung account.
As I understand, Samsung is locking the purchased contents with the Samsung account and not the device it used to purchase the contents.

Scroll down to Samsung Media Hub Q&A section:
What is the Media Hub HD application on my Samsung Galaxy S? II? : Sprint Cell Phones | Samsung

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech