Shattered screen

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a shattered screen also. Amazon wouldn't do anything as it has been more than 30 days (I don't blame them). I was unable to get the Samsung online repair ticket to work, so I went old school and called via land line. Bottom line is they will not quite me a repair price, but I did send it to them anyway. I paid $499 originally and have had it since 12/8 - just over a month before the screen shattered. Current price on Amazon is $569. I'm not buying another one. I'll pay up to $200 to get the screen replaced but that's it - even though I love this tablet. I'm still dumbfounded that the screen shattered on a "soft" drop, when it was in its case. Also since otterbox doesn't make a case for the 2014 edition, the protective case options are very limited. Overall, I'm bummed! Otherwise, I love Samsung. I have a Note 3 phone (in otterbox case!) and it rocks.

Posted via Android Central App

Wow. That's weird Samsung had my tab for 5 days. My screen was badly shattered. There was a one day delay due to ups

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So will Samsung repair the screen for the 200 like they did did April?

I installed the Samsung care app. There was a message to contact customer care. When i called they stated because of physical damage i have to pay $199 which they had already fixed the screen i had to pay it.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So will Samsung repair the screen for the 200 like they did did April?

Sorry dianehelen, there was a typo in my post. I meant to say, "Samsung will not quote me a price for the repair." There was a glitch in the Samsung website, so I had to call in my information. The customer service rep sent me a shipping label and said that a repair technician will contact me after they inspect it to tell me what it's going to cost to fix it. He could not or would not tell me what it will cost to replace the screen. He did say there are certain minimum charges of around $99 . . .

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry dianehelen, there was a typo in my post. I meant to say, "Samsung will not quote me a price for the repair." There was a glitch in the Samsung website, so I had to call in my information. The customer service rep sent me a shipping label and said that a repair technician will contact me after they inspect it to tell me what it's going to cost to fix it. He could not or would not tell me what it will cost to replace the screen. He did say there are certain minimum charges of around $99 . . .

Ahh ok, that makes sense then. Im sure it will be around the same, as its seems to be the same damage. Just kinda troubling that this very $$$ device, can shatter, so relatively easily.. I really have to be extra careful with it now, after seeing these 2 happen just within our small group. Im sorta sorry my time passed to get the sq trade warranty. Hope you get it fixed fast, and back in your hands :)

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
What really bums me out the most it's that I won't be using this tablet for the intended purpose (at school). My plan was to use it in class in lieu of my netbook. But knowing how delicate it is, I won't be throwing it in my rolling backpack with the 1000 lbs of books and gear they require for nursing school! I'm tempted to buy a Samsung ultrabook for school, but they are very pricey and the only way I'd get one is if I also bought the Four Square warranty, adding a few hundred more $$$ to an already expensive laptop. For the moment, I'll continue to use either my kinda slow Acer netbook or my kinda heavy 15" Dell. (We're required to bring a computer to all classes)

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
What really bums me out the most it's that I won't be using this tablet for the intended purpose (at school). My plan was to use it in class in lieu of my netbook. But knowing how delicate it is, I won't be throwing it in my rolling backpack with the 1000 lbs of books and gear they require for nursing school! I'm tempted to buy a Samsung ultrabook for school, but they are very pricey and the only way I'd get one is if I also bought the Four Square warranty, adding a few hundred more $$$ to an already expensive laptop. For the moment, I'll continue to use either my kinda slow Acer netbook or my kinda heavy 15" Dell. (We're required to bring a computer to all classes)

Check out Chromebook, I have one and absolutely love it. It's inexpensive

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Check out Chromebook, I have one and absolutely love it. It's inexpensive

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

That's funny - I was just researching chrome books!!!!! Which one did you buy, april920? If I get a Samsung chromebook, I'm wondering if the Samsung link/hub will work, I.e., will the Samsung chromebook share with my Note 3 phone and 10.1 tablet, and linked computers?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks monsieurms, kind of obvious when you explain it. My stock/native browser that came with the tablet, is set to show pictures, so still don't know why one pic shows but the other doesn’t?
Apologies again for the thread hijack.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the chromebook 11

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

Hi april920. Thanks for your info. I ordered the new Acer 11" chromebook with the touch screen. It's only been out since November, but got good reviews on CNET, etc. Not a lot of user reviews on it yet. Also on the advice from this forum (thanks everyone!) I've ordered the Four Square warranty.

Back on topic - I sent my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition with the shattered screen to the Samsung repair center in Plano, Texas at the beginning of last week. So far I have had no response at all. No acknowledgement of receipt of my tablet or anything. So I think I'm going to give them a call later today to find out what's going on.

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi april920. Thanks for your info. I ordered the new Acer 11" chromebook with the touch screen. It's only been out since November, but got good reviews on CNET, etc. Not a lot of user reviews on it yet. Also on the advice from this forum (thanks everyone!) I've ordered the Four Square warranty.

Back on topic - I sent my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition with the shattered screen to the Samsung repair center in Plano, Texas at the beginning of last week. So far I have had no response at all. No acknowledgement of receipt of my tablet or anything. So I think I'm going to give them a call later today to find out what's going on.

When you contacted Samsung via their website. You should have received an service repair invoice which contain a service ticket number. Therefore when u contact Samsung you would use that number each and every time you call. Do u have a pic of your device. It only took 5 days between the shipping and repair.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
When you contacted Samsung via their website. You should have received an service repair invoice which contain a service ticket number. Therefore when u contact Samsung you would use that number each and every time you call. Do u have a pic of your device. It only took 5 days between the shipping and repair.

hi april920, I was not able to get the repair ticket online - I uploaded my receipt, photos, etc. and filled out the online form 3 times. I would click submit and everything disappeared. I finally gave up and called in all of my info . . . they gave me a service # for the repair and sent me a packing slip and UPS shipping label by email. They said that I'd be getting a phone call or email from the repair department telling me what they were going to charge me to fix it. I sure hope that it's not more than $199!!!

Also thanks again for the tip about the Chromebook - mine just arrived (and I'm typing on it now) and so far, I love it! I did order the Acer model that has a touch screen. (https://www.google.com/intl/en-US/chrome/devices/acer-c720p-chromebook.html#ac-c720p)

This really is going to work just fine for my needs at school. My Galaxy Note 10.1 is never leaving home . . . way too fragile and expensive. :(

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the chromebook 11

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

Hi april920, I took your advice and purchased a Chromebook. It is the Acer 720p. it has a touchscreen as well as the keyboard . . .honestly this seems to me to be the best of both worlds (tablet and keyboard). It was not expensive -$299 on Amazon. I've been using it all week at school and it is absolutely perfect for all of my school requirements. Plus it's lightweight, boots up in 7 seconds, and the battery lasts forever. I don't even bother bringing my charger with me anymore. I was pleasantly surprised at the large number of apps available in the chromebook

thank you so much for your suggestion!

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi april920, I took your advice and purchased a Chromebook. It is the Acer 720p. it has a touchscreen as well as the keyboard . . .honestly this seems to me to be the best of both worlds (tablet and keyboard). It was not expensive -$299 on Amazon. I've been using it all week at school and it is absolutely perfect for all of my school requirements. Plus it's lightweight, boots up in 7 seconds, and the battery lasts forever. I don't even bother bringing my charger with me anymore. I was pleasantly surprised at the large number of apps available in the chromebook

thank you so much for your suggestion!

I am happy you are pleased with your chromebook. I will check out the Acer 720p

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Google Chromebook. I travel on two wheels, either motorcycle or bicycle.. So, lightness is a big factor..Chromebook is nice, and the battery is super. Like somebody said, it dam near last forever.. However, I relented, and I am passing down the Chromebook to my son, and the 10.1 2014 with a bluetooth keyboard case is taking over.. I think the 1gb of ram opposed to 3gb ram on the 2014, makes a big difference.. Also, don't talk about the screen..:D

Back to the 2014 10.1, Along with the keyboard case, I carry it in a sleeve too. Also, I have a screen protector, and I have a tempered glass screen protector ordered..

All of them are good light items..

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Right now I am carrying around my N7 2013 kind of scared to carry the Note right now. But my Note I use at home, when traveling and visiting Mom

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie