Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By monsieurms
  • 1 Post By dianehelen
  • 1 Post By charles777
  • 1 Post By IWTFSYBN
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Gmail icon nowhere in sight?

Hi...I'm now unpacking and playing with my spanking brand new Note 2014.

So far, so good, but some odd twitches.

I usually have a Gmail icon on my home screen. Damned if I can find one. There's no problem putting one in the bar of the pull out multi screen.And there is no problem using Gmail. But I can't find a way to put a Gmail icon on the home screen! I do see the regular stock "mail" icon, but that's not the same thing, although I suppose I could adapt it.

Any advice?
    charles777 likes this.

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Gmail icon nowhere in sight?

This came up the other day. Look in your app drawer for the google folder, it's in there with the other Google apps. Hope that helps

ENJOY your new cool device :-D
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    monsieurms likes this.

That will be me tomorrow at this time... I have been trolling the Canada Post tracking site lol
    I don't think I will sleep well tonight and I have a feeling I might have to leave work early tomorrow
    monsieurms likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    This came up the other day. Look in your app drawer for the google folder, it's in there with the other Google apps. Hope that helps

ENJOY your new cool device :-D
    Aha. I will check that out. I did see that they had some bundled folders in the app draw! Tricky.

---I also noticed 2 other things.
    a) There is no power light to tell you when it's done charging, evidently. Oh, well.

b) It would not read my 64gb SD card that worked perfectly in the ASUS or with my desktop card reader.

c) The charger looks identical to my S4 charger. Of course, the tablet battery is 3x the size of the S4 battery. I guess that means a lot of longggg charges if worn down.

So, I had to reformat it in the tablet and now it works fine, but of course now I have to set it up all over again. Clenching teeth. But the tablet is amazing. Its screen is actually a hair bigger than my Asus Transformer, yet it looks so small, compact and it's so light and easy to handle. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    Aha. I will check that out. I did see that they had some bundled folders in the app draw! Tricky.

---I also noticed 2 other things.
    a) There is no power light to tell you when it's done charging, evidently. Oh, well.

b) It would not read my 64gb SD card that worked perfectly in the ASUS or with my desktop card reader.

c) The charger looks identical to my S4 charger. Of course, the tablet battery is 3x the size of the S4 battery. I guess that means a lot of longggg charges if worn down.

So, I had to reformat it in the tablet and now it works fine, but of course now I have to set it up all over again. Clenching teeth. But the tablet is amazing. Its screen is actually a hair bigger than my Asus Transformer, yet it looks so small, compact and it's so light and easy to handle. Amazing.
    .... and you are OFF to the wonderful world of learning to love your Note ,

As for the charger/charging. If the tablet is off, and you are charging it, when you tap the home button, it will light up a battery indicator to show you how much it is charged. Also I think the S4 charger is different, tho cant confirm. My S4 charger charges my S4 just fine but will not charge my Note or my 7" Tab for that matter. Maybe someone can confirm this.

There have been some issues reported with the 64g SD cards. Also, if you do format a card on a PC make sure not to format with NTFS, Android wont/cant read that. You can use Xfat, that works fine.

Keep reading this forum, lots of cool stuff you can learn/discover about what it can do and what apps enhance the experience
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Hmmm. A reply I posted sort of got lost. Maybe too many quote marks.

Anyway.....I used the S4 charger with the tablet last night. Seemed to work on the tablet. I switched to the 2014 charger today and used that on the phone. That worked too. I may as well use the 2014 charger--if anything it is a touch newer, but they look pretty similar. DIdn't time them or do anything scientific.

I was in some of those threads on the SD card issues. It's annoying that it worked on Asus but not Samsung, but definitely--formatting it IN THE TABLET is important. You can't go wrong there. It's working reliably now.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    Anyway.....I used the S4 charger with the tablet last night. Seemed to work on the tablet. I switched to the 2014 charger today and used that on the phone. That worked too. I may as well use the 2014 charger--if anything it is a touch newer, but they look pretty similar. DIdn't time them or do anything scientific.
    I read in one of the threads that the S4 charger does indeed work, but it takes longer to charge... it was a member's observation, nothing scientific

Ok so now I'm confused (nothing new for me ;-) ). My s4 charger gets a red x when on my note or tab but charges the phone just fine. I called Samsung , who I don't really trust 100% anyway, but the person I spoke to said the s4 charger won't charge the tablets. BUT, unless I have all these cables mixed up already, the s4 charger from my husband s4 does work for the tablets too. What I did for now is just switch that cable with the one I have that does not work for the tablets. Now I have 4 cables in a 4 port usb wall plug and I can use any available cable to charge my phone, note, tab, and bluetooth SoundPop speaker all at once or individually as needed.

I may call Samsung again to get a 2nd opinion
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Can only say---I did it, so the S4 charger definitely works for the tablet. It charged from about 53% to 85% (when I took it off and switched out with the regular 2014 charger). The S4 charger did get a bit warm, but the tablet battery is so big, charging is going to take longer than I usually see with the S4. NB: the S4 charger cable didn't seem to charge at all connected to USB, only with the actual S4 charger-wall outlet.

The only noticeably slower part of the charging that I can attest to---granting that I made no tests or measurements---was when (with the 2014 charger!) it got to around 95% and then slowed down. I presume that is deliberate to stop from overcharging the battery.

At the moment, I am using the Tablet charger for both the S4 and the tablet. That seems to work fine, too.

I know it won't make sense to you and you will insist they charge differently, but really, S4 and Note 10.1 2014 are THE SAME CHARGER. At the same max current output, there should be no difference on weather you use the phone or tablet's charger, it will charge the same way, at the same speed, in the same time. The cable, however, IS different and that might make a difference.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I know it won't make sense to you and you will insist they charge differently, but really, S4 and Note 10.1 2014 are THE SAME CHARGER. At the same max current output, there should be no difference on weather you use the phone or tablet's charger, it will charge the same way, at the same speed, in the same time. The cable, however, IS different and that might make a difference.
    Well, that's what I was thinking. They both have 2 amp output, but I did notice that the tablet charger says 5.3 volts and the S4 charger only 5.0. I do not know the significance, if any.

Hey guys,

Is there a way to place a Gmail icon on my home page, rather than opening the drawer and clicking it from there? ie 1 click versus 2?

(First world problem, for sure!!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by IWTFSYBN View Post
    Hey guys,

Is there a way to place a Gmail icon on my home page, rather than opening the drawer and clicking it from there? ie 1 click versus 2?

(First world problem, for sure!!!! )
    Hi, can you find your Gmail icon in your application drawer ? Depending on your launcher, it would either be in a Google folder as mentioned above, or in your drawer as a separate icon. Just push and hold the icon and then drag it to your Home screen.

of course. long press the icon in your app drawer and drag it to your home screen

Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    Hi, can you find your Gmail icon in your application drawer ? Depending on your launcher, it would either be in a Google folder as mentioned above, or in your drawer as a separate icon. Just push and hold the icon and then drag it to your Home screen.
    Cheers, that's the first thing I tried! When I long press the Gmail Icon (or indeed any of the other 11 Google icons) a small message pops up "You can reposition or remove shortcuts that are in folders by tapping Edit", but the icon itself cannot be moved.

I guess my problem is figuring out exactly where this 'Edit' is to tap.

I just feel so dumb by asking these questions, I really can't figure this out...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    of course. long press the icon in your app drawer and drag it to your home screen
    Doesn't do anything, just brings up that message I've noted above
    Last edited by IWTFSYBN; 01-24-2014 at 10:56 PM.

OK, I managed to get my Gmail icon on the home screen, but this is what I had to do.

Tap Menu -> Edit. Then long press the Google drawer icon and drag it to another screen.

With the Google drawer now being on the other screen, single tap it to open it up and display the 11 icons. Then long press the icons you want to move to the screen and drag them there.

It's as if the Google drawer is locked down on the main screen? It behaves as I expected it should have, when on another screen apart from home.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I got it to work!
    charles777 likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    BTW, I have an EasyACC 5v, 2.1 amp output battery pack originally advertised as compatible for the S4 (and produced before the 2014 Tablet existed). I was talking to them about it and they said it was fine to charge the battery pack with the Note 2014 charger, and vice versa. However, in testing this out, using the 5.3 volt charger to charged the battery pack was fine. No problem. Using the EasyACC 5.0 volt battery pack to charge the 2014 5.3 tablet, however, was not so fine. It worked, but it went at about 40% of the speed of the wall charger. Maybe that was just an issue of wall charger vs battery pack, but it seemed a lot slower than when using it to charge my S4 (yes, I know the 2014 has a larger battery...), which is what I originally got it for.

I also did note that using the 5.0 S4 charger to charge the 2014 Tablet resulted in a verrrry long charge, and the charger was getting pretty warm during that period, too. That was only a 50% charge. I'm wondering what would've happened if I had used it for 90% or whatever.

I admit a lot of this was potentially subjective, and I had no way to take actual measurements.

On the whole, though, I think the 5.3/2 amp charger (which I've been now using exclusively for both S4 and 2014) works fine for everything. But I'm not sure the reverse, using the S4 5.0 charger for the 5.3 tablet, is quite as true, with speed perhaps being an issue.

N.B. On the icon issue that popped up again, I didn't have to go through any of that. I just long pressed as always once opening the folder.