Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rusty502
  • 1 Post By sparkeater79
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I am still not crazy how my Note 10.1 uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    I clear cache and it only goes down to 1.8ish. But just a few minutes later it is back up to 2.4ish. When rooted and running custom roms does this tablet still use so much ram? It just seems like i am not doing much so why does the thing run so close to maximum? This tablet has outrageous specs, i hope Sammy can get it right with an update. I am trying to not root so soon, but i may have no choice. Do you lose any features when running custom roms? I am not well schooled in the art of mobile technology but i am informed and up to date with a thirst to learn more. Any ideas....

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Are you having performance problems? If not, don't worry about it, Android will clear ram as it needs it, your note has plenty, it will manage it just fine on its own.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    And, yes you will lose some things such as s pen function with custom roms, you will also trip knox, which may cause problems in case of a warranty claim.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,469 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,961 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Not to mention that Knox has been doing a wonderful job at blocking the flashing of custom ROMs.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,469 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,961 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeater79 View Post
    I clear cache and it only goes down to 1.8ish. But just a few minutes later it is back up to 2.4ish. When rooted and running custom roms does this tablet still use so much ram? It just seems like i am not doing much so why does the thing run so close to maximum? This tablet has outrageous specs, i hope Sammy can get it right with an update. I am trying to not root so soon, but i may have no choice. Do you lose any features when running custom roms? I am not well schooled in the art of mobile technology but i am informed and up to date with a thirst to learn more. Any ideas....

    Posted via Android Central App
    You could try to clear up some RAM by disabling applications. But in Android's case, empty RAM is wasted.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    And, yes you will lose some things such as s pen function with custom roms, you will also trip knox, which may cause problems in case of a warranty claim.
    It depends what ROM you install. AOSP ones will not have S Pen and multi-window. I don't know it anybody has made such a ROM for this tablet. There is CleanROM on xda, I'm running it last 2 weeks. It's based on stock so all the good things are available. Very stable and fast. And yes, rooting affects knox, do it at your risk.


    BUT, you don't have to do it in order to use less RAM. Unused memory in Android is wasted memory. OS manages RAM well, you should not wary about it. There are many posts about it here and on xda.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Thanks for the info. I searched for a topic along these lines , I just didn't word it right. I am happy to hear that my worries are not necessary. I do experience lag, and hope it will be cleared up soon. When I use my droid dna every screen, every app, everything I do on it is faster. I know it is a phone but it is a year older than my tablet......

    Posted via Android Central App
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,469 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,961 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeater79 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I searched for a topic along these lines , I just didn't word it right. I am happy to hear that my worries are not necessary. I do experience lag, and hope it will be cleared up soon. When I use my droid dna every screen, every app, everything I do on it is faster. I know it is a phone but it is a year older than my tablet......

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks for the follow up.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  
    GeekCop's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Not to mention that Knox has been doing a wonderful job at blocking the flashing of custom ROMs.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Which is why as soon as I rooted my Note, I went into Titanium Backup and froze Knox.
  11. #11  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,469 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,961 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekCop View Post
    Which is why as soon as I rooted my Note, I went into Titanium Backup and froze Knox.
    Does that freeze the bootloader portion of Knox?
  12. #12  
    GeekCop's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Does that freeze the bootloader portion of Knox?
    It seems so. When I first rooted my Note, I got the warning icon in the status bar from Knox. Once I froze it, it went away. I rebooted and it didnt reappear.
  13. #13  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,469 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,961 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: I am still not crazy how my note uses 2.41 of 2.71 ram. does root and custom rom help?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekCop View Post
    It seems so. When I first rooted my Note, I got the warning icon in the status bar from Knox. Once I froze it, it went away. I rebooted and it didnt reappear.
    Cool. Hope it works for flashing ROMs.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
  2. POP up on my Note 3
    By Stewby85 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 06:18 PM
  3. Kk launcher someone help me out here.
    By delta7 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM
  5. Data is being used while using wifi
    By xonq in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions