Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Uschiekid
  • 2 Post By spasell
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Galaxy Note 10.1: Heating up, lags, and clock stops working

Everything listed above has been happening to me almost daily. Works fine and then starts to get super warm, slows way down, and clock stops working. I look at programs running to see what might cause it but nothing really stands out other than all of Samsung bloatware standard.

Thinking of factory reset to fix it. Just cannot find out how to do it. Or maybe just wipe and start over. I did install all new updates when I got tablet back in November but never did a hard reset.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Default Re: Heating up, lags, and clock stops working

How long do you have it? I would think this is somewhat indicative of a bad unit and Id return it for another one. I have been using mine for 2 months and have never had a lag, or a heat problem and I use it around 12-14 hours a day.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

I don't think that is normal, but two things.

a) to factory reset: Go settings, General, Backup and reset, "Factory data reset".

b) Someone on this forum recommended "Battery Doctor"...I don't know if it's the best or most useful of similar apps, but when something was eating my battery or causing my processor to run on high, when it didn't need to, I was able to figure out the rogue app with Battery Doctor. You could try this and see if an app that shouldn't need high performance from the CPU is doing so (one programme that caused me to lose 25% battery in 20 mins one time was K-9 Email client. Normally it behaves, but it caused the tablet to run on high capacity, get pretty warm and ate the battery....this was when I hadn't even set an account up so it wasn't even synching or doing ANYTHING...after I killed the app, things went back to normal.)
    charles777 likes this.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I agreed on doing reset if yours is acting weird. If you are still within exchange period, I would consider making an exchange. Just in case there is a HW issue. One last thing, there has been some strange issues when the tablet mates with some tablet case with magnet. If you are using one try using without the case for a while after reboot the device. I have mine for few months now. I am using it at work and home. I love every minute using it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Ok. So I did factory reset 3 days ago and problem went away. So far so good. I didn't allow all my apps to be downloaded again and just did it manually. Crossing fingers.

Also the battery life has improved tremendously.
    charles777 and Uschiekid like this.

Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by spasell View Post
    Ok. So I did factory reset 3 days ago and problem went away. So far so good. I didn't allow all my apps to be downloaded again and just did it manually. Crossing fingers.

Also the battery life has improved tremendously.
    Factory reset tends to solve many issues. Even better that you are installing apps and updates manually. I bet it was an app or service that started to cause slowdown. Keep an eye on the device as you install apps. If the problem reoccurs try and associate it with the last update or app install.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Well I'm back to same issue again. Didn't download anything additional either. However I did notice what I think might be the issue. Tablet was running fine no issue no heat clock working. Then when I pulled the stylus out the clock froze, it started to heat up and clock stopped. I'll do more experimenting using this technique to see if this is it. When it happens I reset the tablet and it's fine until next day. When I place stylus back in and tablet is idle for few hour it seems to happen all over again.

I don't have enough information to prove this but I'll give it a shot.

It's a shame because I've actually went back to my iPad again out of frustration. I am hoping they offer the 4.4 upgrade and it provides a fix.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Also. Has anyone rooted this tablet? Wondering if it might be worth doing that to solve issue. Willing to experiment. I'm Director of Sales Enablement for my company and responsible for testing devices. Thought this might be a good one given stylus and note taking ability. Now it's not going to be considered unless I can get an answer on the issue or issues I've read about. Since my credibility is on the line I have to make an educated well tests and thought out decision