What Do I LOSE by Using Nova Launcher?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I watched a video about putting Nova Launcher on GN 10.01 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AET7Dc5Apyw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

From what I can see it pretty much leaves things as it found it (stock). Looks like some of the grouped (stock) items are no longer grouped, My Magazine doesn't pull up from the bottom but I did see a link to it in Apps. What I want back is the stock weather window on the desktop Is that possible?

Are there any other differences?

Thanks,
Monica

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I watched a video about putting Nova Launcher on GN 10.01 2014

From what I can see it pretty much leaves things as it found it (stock). Looks like some of the grouped (stock) items are no longer grouped, My Magazine doesn't pull up from the bottom but I did see a link to it in Apps. What I want back is the stock weather window on the desktop Is that possible?

Are there any other differences?

Thanks,
Monica

This is Nova's (or any third part launcher) failing point. The Accuweather widget that came stock with the device is signed to TouchWiz (Stock) launcher. In my experience, no other launcher can utilize this widget.
However, I can suggest 1Weather. That widget offers more info (depending on how you set it up) and is customizable.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, like the above post says, that weather widget is TouchWiz's own, so Nova (or any other launcher) will not be able to use it. Same thing for some Calendar widgets that are TouchWiz-only. I think you also 'lose' hover preview of folders by using Nova and some app counters.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
You lose most of the lag and cartoonish theme. ;) (Sorry, too hard to resist)

In all seriousness, I really like Nova, use it on every one of my Android devices. And yes, you will lose a few features tied to TouchWiz as previously mentioned but you can so much more, IMO (and you can always find other widgets to replace the TW specific ones). If you use the paid version and install TeslaUnread, you can have unread count badges for a handful of apps, including Gmail and stock email, and can assign tasks/functions/apps to various gestures. When I had my Note 10.1, I assigned the Magazine app to an upward swipe to mimic the native functionality.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I too have been running Nova for so long it is a standard install for me. Not until I got the Nexus 5 have I declined getting Nova on my phone. Lately, though, I have been considering it.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I started using Nova with my Galaxy S4 and I haven't looked back... you can customize your screen anyway you like from the amount of app icons you can fit on a page, the size of the icons, removing the name below each one or even better, you can purchase really cool icon packs ! You can also modify the dock (infinite scroll, adding folders to the dock) and hide the notification bar. All that plus it speeds up scrolling :)

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

WinePress

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You lose the accuweather widget and s calrnder widget, but the worst thing about it for me is that you can not rearrange the icons in the app drawer, it sticks to alphabetical order which is terrible for me.

It forces me to use home screens as an app drawer.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I dont use Nova , I use Apex, the free version is great, but the paid version you get even more customizations. I think you can rearrange the app drawer icons as well

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I dont use Nova , I use Apex, the free version is great, but the paid version you get even more customizations. I think you can rearrange the app drawer icons as well

I was using Apex (free version) and it was working great until I tried adding some widgets (weather ones i was trying out), then it lagged like crazy...the only real lag i'd seen since getting my note. So I was just curious if you use widgets....and if yes, do you get lag?

I've switched over to Nova (free version for now) and it has no lag even with miliions of widgets in use (not that i plan to keep my home screens covered in widgets...i just was testing it out)

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I was using Apex (free version) and it was working great until I tried adding some widgets (weather ones i was trying out), then it lagged like crazy...the only real lag i'd seen since getting my note. So I was just curious if you use widgets....and if yes, do you get lag?

I've switched over to Nova (free version for now) and it has no lag even with miliions of widgets in use (not that i plan to keep my home screens covered in widgets...i just was testing it out)

hmm I use a few, which ones seemed to cause issues? I don't really find any lag

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
They were all weather app widgets i was trying out. Mainly Yahoo weather and 1Weather (i think that's the name..), didn't seem to matter which ones....with the same widgets on nova (and others), no lag. It was pretty drastic as soon as I added a couple widgets, not just switching homescreens, but a lot of things started to lag. Oh, well, I'm okay with Nova now, I just had seen you mention Apex in a few posts, so wondered if you had similar problems or just didn't use widgets.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Huh interesting. maybe I'll try nova. I've just used apex because I've used it before and was familiar with it.
It doesn't hurt to try :). I personally like Nova. Though enjoy pretty much all the launchers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I like Nova because it gets rid of lag and looks better to me and I use Android Weather widget because it gives more information.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Huh interesting. maybe I'll try nova. I've just used apex because I've used it before and was familiar with it.

I hadnt used android for too long before this tablet (just a crappy phone for a few months ...im an ubuntu girl at heart...too bad there isnt more options in phones and tablets) so I used the opportunity to try EVERYTHING I found interesting before resetting and only keeping what I liked best. There are things I like better about apex, but at least having weather widgets is important to me.....but if apex is working for you, thats great.

@srkmagnus @phoneaddict78...I'll give those apps a whirl...I like yahoo weather...only wish the app would work in landscape.

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yahoo weather works in landscape

not fully it doesn't. You can't change settings/access the settings menu or see most of the information on a city in landscape (ie scrolling down to find out the weekly info, etc).... In fact in landscape, it's fairly useless.... In portrait it has all kinds of useful info.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
not fully it doesn't. You can't change settings/access the settings menu or see most of the information on a city in landscape (ie scrolling down to find out the weekly info, etc).... In fact in landscape, it's fairly useless.... In portrait it has all kinds of useful info.

I concur... useless in landscape !
The Weather Network app also sucks for tablets.... you should see the pretty, well laid out interface they created for the iPads... we just get the stretched out phone versions.
Google should put pressure on all these companies to show some respect for Android tablets.
/endrant. :cool:

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Lose? Read previous posts again (and I agree with them all too)... You gain so much. Not mentioned is the customization ability that you get too... The manufacturers slow the OS down with their versions and yes, you lose their proprietary touches... but you speed the OS back up...

Posted via Android Central App
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)