Galaxy Note 10.1: screen shattered in "soft" drop

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Please contact Samsung first, as the other poster said, who shattered the glass, Samsung has no problem replacing it. Maybe PM that poster, and asked what they said to SAmsung to get the replacement in process. Cant hurt to start there, before thinking of investing more money

Her name is April920

Wow, Samsung will repair/replace damage from a fall? I would think the warranty would only cover mfr defects or malfunctions. I'll be very impressed if they take care of this for you. I hope you get it back soon
Oh Yea I had to send pics of the screen, they told me it's covered under warranty.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
You never know, I fell off of a roof, probably 18 to 20 feet onto a sidewalk, bumps and scrapes, but no broken bones, my younger brother tripped and fell in the snow and broke his leg in three places.... like I said, it's all in the landing...

Ha, for all that matters, several times I have went airborne at 100mph+ crashes in motorcycle roadracing and come out with just soreness. However, we all should realize that these are exceptions rather than the rule!

DJMasterJ

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel your $199.00 (to repair) pain. I had the exact situation happen to me. My Galaxy 10.1 2014 slipped off the desk and fell flat and it shattered the screen. I got to play with my tab for only 3 days before it slipped. If you do not have a accidental warranty on the device, Samsung will charge $199.00 to replace the screen. It will take about two weeks and shipping is free. Samsung has one repair facility in the U.S. in Plano TX. You will need to call 1-800-SAMSUNG to get started. Once you have a repair ticket number you can track the progress via Samsung support web site. BTW, no local repair facilities have the new LCD part yet. Samsung support did an excellent job for me and I now have a square trade warranty on mine now.

SheTeck

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You say you bought it from Amazon. Contact Amazon via their General help, online chat and ask their advice. Not sure if I'm just lucky, but every time I request their assistance, they amaze me (in a good way) by the lengths they are prepared to go to to keep me happy. Good luck.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for all the very helpful responses. I'm going to check with Amazon but sounds like I'm probably going to spend $199/send to Samsung for replacement screen . . . Better than $599 to replace the whole device, though! (That's the current Amazon price, although I paid $499 on December 8) And I'll buy the warranty from Four Square

Now about the case (since I don't want to go through this again) - does anyone know if the otterbox cover for 10.1 Samsung tablet fits the 2014 edition? Oddly, I've been unlucky in finding an answer to this question so far. If no, please give me your recommendations for the best protective case. Thanks again, all

Posted via Android Central App

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again for all the very helpful responses. I'm going to check with Amazon but sounds like I'm probably going to spend $199/send to Samsung for replacement screen . . . Better than $599 to replace the whole device, though! (That's the current Amazon price, although I paid $499 on December 8) And I'll buy the warranty from Four Square

Now about the case (since I don't want to go through this again) - does anyone know if the otterbox cover for 10.1 Samsung tablet fits the 2014 edition? Oddly, I've been unlucky in finding an answer to this question so far. If no, please give me your recommendations for the best protective case. Thanks again, all

I would contact otterbox and ask, customer service is outstanding, I'm sure they will respond quickly.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I would contact otterbox and ask, customer service is outstanding, I'm sure they will respond quickly.

Um, I should have thought of that. D'oh! ;-) Customer service is closed now, but on the questions section of the otterbox website, it says that the otterbox Samsung 10.1 case will NOT fit the 2014 edition (as dimensions are smaller than 2012 Note 10.1). Bummer!

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So here's the update on my shattered screen. I shipped it to Samsung on January 19th and it was returned to me today by UPS, January 30th. They charged me $199 to replace the screen. In the interim, my experiences with Samsung customer service were less than satisfactory.

However, far more troubling: First, my S-pen is missing. It was included when I sent it to Samsung for repair. Second, the original box is nearly destroyed. I sent it in the original box that was in pristine condition. This was not caused by UPS as the UPS shipping box was in perfect condition. Third, the tablet will not turn on. I have it on the charger now. But it was totally dead on arrival. It will be interesting to see if after charging for a few hours, it comes back to life.

Considering that I have now invested $700+ and quite a bit of time in this tablet, I am not a happy camper at this moment.

To top it off - assuming the tablet does come back to life at some point - I still will be afraid to use it or bring it with me anywhere. Since apparently there are no protective cases available that will fit this particular tablet when the screen is remarkably fragile.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That is very troubling :-(

Have you talked to them about these issues? The charging, I guess it's a wait and see. But the missing S pen, is indeed disturbing. Those things are not cheap. As for the destroyed box, that just sounds like carelessness, also troubling.

I'm so sorry you had to have your enjoyment of this tablet so corrupted by all this.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
That is very troubling :-(

Have you talked to them about these issues? The charging, I guess it's a wait and see. But the missing S pen, is indeed disturbing. Those things are not cheap. As for the destroyed box, that just sounds like carelessness, also troubling.

I'm so sorry you had to have your enjoyment of this tablet so corrupted by all this.

Hi Dianehelen, it took forever, but finally I submitted an online repair ticket for the latest problem. I find the repair dept website has issues. Last time, I ended up calling in my problem (shattered screen) due to being unable to get past the login screen in the repair ticket window (my Samsung devices are all registered for warranty purposes, had no problem registering, just when trying to create a repair ticket!) But calling the repair dept also took a long time (was on hold for 30 minutes)

The tablet has been on the charger for 4.5 hours now. Nothing. It's totally dead. The charging indicator doesn't even come on.

I'm so frustrated! Thanks to the advice of another poster here, I do have a wonderful Chromebook that's working just perfectly for my needs at school. (That's why I originally bought the tablet, for nursing school). But I'm sitting here looking at a $700 paperweight right now. Argh

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am not normally a fan of the add on warranties and I am usually covered by my credit card. However seeing this post is making me think maybe I want to go ahead a purchase one in this case. I have dropped a touchpad on several occasions and never had a problem. It does not look like the Note would hold up as well.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I am not normally a fan of the add on warranties and I am usually covered by my credit card. However seeing this post is making me think maybe I want to go ahead a purchase one in this case. I have dropped a touchpad on several occasions and never had a problem. It does not look like the Note would hold up as well.

I sure wish that I had purchased one. I've had many phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops etc. over the years going back to the first personal computers in the 1980's. I'm not at all rough on my gear (to the contrary, in fact). I'm still flabbergasted that the screen shattered in the first place!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am so surprised at the shatter too. Almost seems like your unit had a defect to begin with. Mine has slid off my lap, in the case, onto a laminate floor and was fine. Tho after hearing about yours, I'm extra extra careful. Tho it could just be a bad angle.My son's brand new iPhone, had it less then 24 hours, dropped from a very low table, onto the ground and shattered. He did have Apple care so it was replaced for $99

Either way, troubling and sad for you, combined even worse with the new problems it's been returned with. :-(

Kac03

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I got a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition for Christmas, I love it so much. Well just now had a "soft drop" from my seat in my car to the floor of my car and the darn thing shattered!!! All I can think is it hit just right in the corner of the screen. I even had it in a case. Makes me sick. I've had 2 iPads and 3 iPhones that have survived myself and 3 young kids dropping them and not once breaking a screen. I love my new tablet but if it can't even handle a very soft drop onto a carpeted floorboard, I'm not sure how safe I feel about even using it without fear of a drop. Good luck to you, I hope you get it fixed, I know this is a lot of investment. :-\

robbielyn

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I understand Samsung wanted Super sensitive touch for this tablet but in a case and so drops and we are paying 600 for it? That is not good at all to hear.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I got a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition for Christmas, I love it so much. Well just now had a "soft drop" from my seat in my car to the floor of my car and the darn thing shattered!!! All I can think is it hit just right in the corner of the screen. I even had it in a case. Makes me sick. I've had 2 iPads and 3 iPhones that have survived myself and 3 young kids dropping them and not once breaking a screen. I love my new tablet but if it can't even handle a very soft drop onto a carpeted floorboard, I'm not sure how safe I feel about even using it without fear of a drop. Good luck to you, I hope you get it fixed, I know this is a lot of investment. :-\

Many people (friends, family etc.) have suggested that my tablet's "soft" drop was not totally flat. In other words, everyone seems to think that somehow or another it landed on a corner, or on a side, twisted a little bit, etc. - less than flat. I can understand the natural tendency to think that must have happened. I'm here to tell you I watched it happen right in front of me, with good lighting and I had my eyeglasses on.

I have replayed it in my head over and over again. I am absolutely convinced just as much now, as I was when it first happened, but this was a totally flat drop. This tablet did not land on the corner, on a side, or anything else. It landed quite flat on all fours, so to speak. It was inside its case. (Granted, it was a Poetic case, but unfortunately that's about the most case you can buy for this particular version of the tablet.). As it fell, it landed totally flat. It definitely did not land on a corner. There is no twisting or turning or anything else occurring in the fall. Just a totally gentle fall, cradled in its case. An ever-so-soft "woosh" sound escaped as the soft Poetic case made contact with the solid surface, confirming the very gentle nature of the fall.

Honestly at this price point, we have the right to expect a product that is sturdy enough to withstand normal and predictable use, circumstances and environment. Or at a minimum, Samsung should be providing the option to purchase a decent protective case for this tablet. This is really quite an outrage in my opinion. I'm frustrated and disappointed. One of the reasons I'd continued to update and post about my experience is the hope that other readers are alerted to the problem and proceed accordingly. In my case, if I had the option to do it again, I would not have purchased this tablet knowing the delicate nature of the glass and unavailability of a real, protective case (like an otterbox). As great as the tablet is in terms of specifications & performance, it is of no use to me in real life if I can't take it out of the box for fear of having it shatter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever get back with them on the doa tablet you got back after paying for the repair, and the missing s pen

They sent me a repair ticket and I shipped it to them last night. I did not have time to call customer service today. You can only speak with a live person by phone between normal business hours, M-F. Anyhow, I was in school all day during regular business hours and did not have time to call them. Of course it being the weekend, no one will be available to speak with me tomorrow or the next day. And the "live chat" feature on the Samsung website is someone in another country just reading screen prompts. I tried using the live chat feature twice and both times the person I was chatting with told me to call customer service during normal business hours, Monday through Friday (after wasting my time getting a lot of preliminary information). I will try to call on Monday if my schedule permits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol