Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Note 10.1: screen shattered in "soft" drop

Sadly, my tablet slid off the counter and dropped in the floor today. I've only had it for 6 weeks . . . It was in a protective case and it landed completely flat. Honestly, when it fell, I thought, "geez, it's a good thing it's in the case and didn't land on a corner or sideways or anything"

I truly did NOT expect any damage . . . So I was completely shocked when I picked it up and opened the case and the glass was shattered. It has never been dropped before, so there were no latent cracks or anything like that

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else had their screen shatter unexpectedly? I'm really still in shock about the whole thing.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-12-2014 at 06:32 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: screen shattered in "soft" drop

Btw it was in a Poetic leather case

Default Re: screen shattered in "soft" drop

Oh Nooooooo :-(

someone posted the same thing a week or so ago. it's still under warranty, so they will replace. but what a bummer
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

Default Re: Galaxy Note 10.1: screen shattered in "soft" drop

Quote Originally Posted by mrspatmore View Post
    Sadly, my tablet slid off the counter and dropped in the floor today. I've only had it for 6 weeks . . . It was in a protective case and it landed completely flat. Honestly, when it fell, I thought, "geez, it's a good thing it's in the case and didn't land on a corner or sideways or anything"

I truly did NOT expect any damage . . . So I was completely shocked when I picked it up and opened the case and the glass was shattered. It has never been dropped before, so there were no latent cracks or anything like that

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else had their screen shatter unexpectedly? I'm really still in shock about the whole thing.

So sorry to hear that
    I have a feeling that all these slim, svelte cases (mine included) from companies like Poetic, Moka, rooCASE etc. really offer very little protection from drops... they are great for propping up a tablet but that's about it. Hope you get your tablet back soon !

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

What do you mean they will replace it, dianehelen? Please tell me that this means I don't have to buy a new one! It would be replaced even though it did off the counter? I bought it from Amazon, btw . . . And I just looked it up. I bought it 34 days ago

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I wanted an otterbox case but didn't think the otterbox version for 10.1 (2012) would fit this model - 10.1 (2014 edition)

I have otterbox for my phone (Samsung Note 3) and I love it

Otterbox cases fit very, very snugly.

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

I never dropped my note 2014 while I had it, but I dropped my nexus 10 plenty of times ( at home and in a thin poetic case) and never had problems. Though I'm short so maybe my drops weren't as far or because of different glass. Sorry! Sucks to think you're protected and have this happen.

Sent from my LG-V500 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mrspatmore View Post
    What do you mean they will replace it, dianehelen? Please tell me that this means I don't have to buy a new one! It would be replaced even though it did off the counter? I bought it from Amazon, btw . . . And I just looked it up. I bought it 34 days ago

check out this post

Shattered screen
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for the link, dianehelen. I'm still confused because the Samsung warranty expressly disavows coverage for accidents, misuse, etc

I guess it can't hurt to try

Honestly, I'm still shocked that it cracked because I've dropped plenty of other phones and tablets (under far worse conditions) with no damage at all

If you are honest, they won't Fix it under warranty, nor should they, it was not a manufacturing defect, but you can contact them and ask, I hate that it happened to you, and I hope it works out.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thank you everyone for the replies. The reason that I posted here at all is that it just seems so darn weird that the screen completely shattered in this "soft" drop (for lack of better word). This is my first Samsung tablet but I've been a smartphone/tablet user for years and I've had plenty of *real* drops with little or no damage.

If this is indicative of the quality of a non-defective Samsung tablet, I'm not at all sure that I'm going to buy another one. Despite the fact that I really loved the performance and features!

For any potential buyers of this tablet reading these posts, I would suggest getting a warranty from Square Trade that includes Accidental damage. I paid $99 for 2 years. It's sold on ebay, Amazon and on the Square Trade website.

In 2 years time I will either upgrade to the latest & greatest 16 core 4K tablet with mind reading tech and 16gb of RAM or I'll buy a thick gel cushioned case for this one.

I know how you feel, but it's all about the landing, you could have dropped it from 15 feet without a scratch if it landed a certain way, but, the bigger the screen, the easier it will break.

Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    So sorry to hear that
    I have a feeling that all these slim, svelte cases (mine included) from companies like Poetic, Moka, rooCASE etc. really offer very little protection from drops... they are great for propping up a tablet but that's about it. Hope you get your tablet back soon !

That is one of the reasons I ordered Tempered Glass Screen protector for my 10.1 2014.. I got Temp Glass on my Note 3.. Love it...I wonder if a Temp Glass Protector would have saved the OP's screeen??

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    If you are honest, they won't Fix it under warranty, nor should they, it was not a manufacturing defect, but you can contact them and ask, I hate that it happened to you, and I hope it works out.
    I think one should get a warranty that includes "accidental drops"...Going to asked that question when I picked up mine...

Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    So sorry to hear that

I will be double-casing mine. Just like I do with my Note 3. First in a slim case on my Note 3, than a wallet type case. On my 2014, it will be a Poetic type keyboard case and that will go in another case.

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    I think one should get a warranty that includes "accidental drops"...Going to asked that question when I picked up mine...
    Yeah, I wish I had gotten an "accidental deer collision warranty" on my 2 week old car....lol
    boudicca00 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    That is one of the reasons I ordered Tempered Glass Screen protector for my 10.1 2014.. I got Temp Glass on my Note 3.. Love it...I wonder if a Temp Glass Protector would have saved the OP's screeen??
    You never know, I fell off of a roof, probably 18 to 20 feet onto a sidewalk, bumps and scrapes, but no broken bones, my younger brother tripped and fell in the snow and broke his leg in three places.... like I said, it's all in the landing...

I'd be shocked if this was covered under warranty. I worked at a tablet/phone repair retailer. We've fixed the 10.1 note, but not the 2014 version. Nobody has the screen/digitizer out yet. Our vendors have no listing. Even Ebay has no listing. But don't give up. Wait a few months. Parts will become available. You can get it fixed for about $150.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Blackbeagle, thank you for this info. A friend said he could replace the glass for $200 but he must have been looking at the 2012 replacement glass. I don't think the replacement glass for the 2014 edition is available yet. Meanwhile, I've got to decide whether to buy another one. I paid $499/16gb model on December 8. Now it's $549 on Amazon.

To the other poster, thanks for the info about Four Square warranty . . .sure wish I had known about it earlier. :-(

Lastly, does anyone know for sure if the otterbox for Samsung 10.1 fits the 2014 edition?

Please contact Samsung first, as the other poster said, who shattered the glass, Samsung has no problem replacing it. Maybe PM that poster, and asked what they said to SAmsung to get the replacement in process. Cant hurt to start there, before thinking of investing more money

Her name is April920

Wow, Samsung will repair/replace damage from a fall? I would think the warranty would only cover mfr defects or malfunctions. I'll be very impressed if they take care of this for you. I hope you get it back soon
    Oh Yea I had to send pics of the screen, they told me it's covered under warranty.
    Thanked by:
    mrspatmore likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    You never know, I fell off of a roof, probably 18 to 20 feet onto a sidewalk, bumps and scrapes, but no broken bones, my younger brother tripped and fell in the snow and broke his leg in three places.... like I said, it's all in the landing...
    Ha, for all that matters, several times I have went airborne at 100mph+ crashes in motorcycle roadracing and come out with just soreness. However, we all should realize that these are exceptions rather than the rule!

I feel your $199.00 (to repair) pain. I had the exact situation happen to me. My Galaxy 10.1 2014 slipped off the desk and fell flat and it shattered the screen. I got to play with my tab for only 3 days before it slipped. If you do not have a accidental warranty on the device, Samsung will charge $199.00 to replace the screen. It will take about two weeks and shipping is free. Samsung has one repair facility in the U.S. in Plano TX. You will need to call 1-800-SAMSUNG to get started. Once you have a repair ticket number you can track the progress via Samsung support web site. BTW, no local repair facilities have the new LCD part yet. Samsung support did an excellent job for me and I now have a square trade warranty on mine now.
    Thanked by:
    mrspatmore likes this.

You say you bought it from Amazon. Contact Amazon via their General help, online chat and ask their advice. Not sure if I'm just lucky, but every time I request their assistance, they amaze me (in a good way) by the lengths they are prepared to go to to keep me happy. Good luck.
    Thanked by:
    mrspatmore likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Thanks again for all the very helpful responses. I'm going to check with Amazon but sounds like I'm probably going to spend $199/send to Samsung for replacement screen . . . Better than $599 to replace the whole device, though! (That's the current Amazon price, although I paid $499 on December 8) And I'll buy the warranty from Four Square

Now about the case (since I don't want to go through this again) - does anyone know if the otterbox cover for 10.1 Samsung tablet fits the 2014 edition? Oddly, I've been unlucky in finding an answer to this question so far. If no, please give me your recommendations for the best protective case. Thanks again, all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast