Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Well, I call myself smart, because most of the time my picks are different, and being an older gent, people tell me that I am not acting my age!! Well, at 74, I take that as a compliment. The big boyish grin that came on my face as I was unboxing my brand new 32 gb GN 10.1 2014, was worth 20 times the $539 I paid for it today at Bestbuy. After reading this forum on the 2014 for a couple weeks, this was just what I wanted. Also, this forum help me make up my mind on whether to wait for a Pro too. No need for that, The 10.1 is perfect.

    I got a lot of info from around here before I chunked down my duckins. I got all the pros, and cons... I have a bluetooth keyboard case on it now, and both of them are charging. I had a brand new Sandisk Ultra 64gb Class 10 micro that I put in, let the Note format it, and that is ready for me to put my movies, pics and music on. From reading, I might have some issues with the bluetooth keyboard. I knew that before I purchased, so I am ready for that. All the updates were downloaded right away..Going to have to learn how to keep my wifee's little mitts off of it.. She has a S4 and a Nexus 7.. She is destructive too..
    Thanked by 2:
    msndrstood, Peaches36 and VICNLYN like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Good for you sir !
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Which BT keyboard did you buby? I have the Logitech K810 and have had ZERO issues with it and my GN/2014. Anxious to hear if you can put movies on your SD card. I had to download them in a creative manner to get them on my SD card and then transfer to the desktop to burn to a DVD. Congrats!

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Well, I call myself smart, because most of the time my picks are different, and being an older gent, people tell me that I am not acting my age!! Well, at 74, I take that as a compliment. The big boyish grin that came on my face as I was unboxing my brand new 32 gb GN 10.1 2014, was worth 20 times the $539 I paid for it today at Bestbuy. After reading this forum on the 2014 for a couple weeks, this was just what I wanted. Also, this forum help me make up my mind on whether to wait for a Pro too. No need for that, The 10.1 is perfect.

    I got a lot of info from around here before I chunked down my duckins. I got all the pros, and cons... I have a bluetooth keyboard case on it now, and both of them are charging. I had a brand new Sandisk Ultra 64gb Class 10 micro that I put in, let the Note format it, and that is ready for me to put my movies, pics and music on. From reading, I might have some issues with the bluetooth keyboard. I knew that before I purchased, so I am ready for that. All the updates were downloaded right away..Going to have to learn how to keep my wifee's little mitts off of it.. She has a S4 and a Nexus 7.. She is destructive too..
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Congrats in a wize purchase. And may I say it's nice to have another Baby Boomer era member here. Not alot of us, But we are proud proof that 60's and 70's somethings can have just as much tech savvy as the young whippersnappers. Also nice to not be the oldest here anymore ;-)
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    msndrstood likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Yes a smart purchase. The one that I bought in Dec was a Christmas present for my wife and she is very happy with it. I had read a lot of reviews and also spent time on this forum which is a great resource. I paid for the 16Gb version at Best Buy - internet purchase and pick up at store. When I got home I discovered that they gave me a 32 Gb unit. I suppose that I should have taken it back and demanded what I had paid for but it is a very long drive...........

    Looks like I may be in possession of 2nd oldest spot here or maybe about tied for that.
    Always nice sunsets on Welch Island, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Which BT keyboard did you buby? I have the Logitech K810 and have had ZERO issues with it and my GN/2014. Anxious to hear if you can put movies on your SD card. I had to download them in a creative manner to get them on my SD card and then transfer to the desktop to burn to a DVD. Congrats!
    It is a bluetooth keyboard and case. It is a Poetic Clone. I got it off Amazon.

    Amazon.com: IVSO Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

    On putting movies on my sd card is a snap. I take my dvds that I have purchased and covert them to mp3/mp4s and they go right on the sd card.. I have them on my Note 3 on a sd card too.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    I'm a baby boomer, but just barely 54

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Congrats in a wize purchase. And may I say it's nice to have another Baby Boomer era member here. Not alot of us, But we are proud proof that 60's and 70's somethings can have just as much tech savvy as the young whippersnappers. Also nice to not be the oldest here anymore ;-)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Oh ok. I bought the 16GB version since I could add a 64GB sd card. Well, ya can, but what they don't tell you is what you CAN'T put on the card, including movies. I planned on spending the $75 on movies for the grandkids. 5 movies would have nearly maxed out my tablet. So I was forced to get creative. Then found the 32GB version for $10 less than than I paid for the 16gb. I upgraded.
    QUESTION: CAN I CONVERT THE SAMSUNG HUB MOVIES TO MP3/MP4 AND THEN PUT THEM ON DVDs?
    And if so, can you tell me which software will do this? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    It is a bluetooth keyboard and case. It is a Poetic Clone. I got it off Amazon.

    Amazon.com: IVSO Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

    On putting movies on my sd card is a snap. I take my dvds that I have purchased and covert them to mp3/mp4s and they go right on the sd card.. I have them on my Note 3 on a sd card too.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    I'm a baby boomer, but just barely 54
    Hehhee you are a "baby" baby boomer.. I'll be the famous Beatles song age, my next birtdhay.. 64! Yikes!
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Oh ok. I bought the 16GB version since I could add a 64GB sd card. Well, ya can, but what they don't tell you is what you CAN'T put on the card, including movies. I planned on spending the $75 on movies for the grandkids. 5 movies would have nearly maxed out my tablet. So I was forced to get creative. Then found the 32GB version for $10 less than than I paid for the 16gb. I upgraded.
    QUESTION: CAN I CONVERT THE SAMSUNG HUB MOVIES TO MP3/MP4 AND THEN PUT THEM ON DVDs?
    And if so, can you tell me which software will do this? Thanks
    Probably not easily, as they are both pretty well hidden ON your device, as well as probably heavily DRM coded. Best 2 ways are still converting from DVDs OR the "other way" we have spoken about

    Edit: Hmm its early, only 1 cup of coffee so far, I just RE READ your question, about saving your Hub Movies TO DVD.. Im not sure about that. I might assume no, but I could easily be wrong about that. Id check with Samsung on that one, maybe..
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    First to all the baby boomers out there, you all got some sweet treats waiting for you after you pass 65. Life takes on a different level. Trust me, it is there. Just try to stay fit to enjoy it when it comes.

    Back to my Note 2014.. Ah, this keyboard case is sweet. I type at over 60wpm, and this keyboard is doing its thing.. It will be baby steps for me in learning all this new tech, and OS, but as of now, I am loving it big time. BTW, only been on the keyboard about 5 or 6 times, but so far no glitches. What do everybody use in place of a mouse?? I don't know how to highlight yet.. Something simple I know.

    On the movies. I don't deal with the downloaded movies/music. Instead, I used the purchased movies I already have or go purchased the ones I want. Then put them on my PC , the sd cards on my Note 3 and Note 2014. Ditto for my music too.

    I ran through holy h*ll trying to get some music that I had purchased, and ripped to my Zune from CDs.. Lost the CDs, and I couldn't get the music I purchased off the Zune. That was messed up.. So, until I get sharper, all my movies and music that I want, I will purchase the physical DVD and CDs, then I can put them on my Notes with no hassle.

    Ha, loving this Note.. Can't wait to take it with me on a fast motorcycle and/or fast bicycle ride..
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Now that you have used it a few days how is the speed etc?

    Sent from my HTC One
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Since all of you are mentioning Movies, I would like to ask you a question. I purchased a couple of movies that have digital downloads. After downloading them, I realized they are in WMA format. I downloaded handbrake and converted them to mp4. the problem is when I play the file, it is all jumbled up. Looks like a 60's trip on acid.
    Anyone have any suggestions for a novice on how to get these to play on my new Note, that should be here in on Friday!
    You were born an original , Don't Die a Copy
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Use a different converter. Or can you specify the settings in handbrake

    Sent from my HTC One
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Oh ok. I bought the 16GB version since I could add a 64GB sd card. Well, ya can, but what they don't tell you is what you CAN'T put on the card, including movies. I planned on spending the $75 on movies for the grandkids. 5 movies would have nearly maxed out my tablet. So I was forced to get creative. Then found the 32GB version for $10 less than than I paid for the 16gb. I upgraded.
    QUESTION: CAN I CONVERT THE SAMSUNG HUB MOVIES TO MP3/MP4 AND THEN PUT THEM ON DVDs?
    And if so, can you tell me which software will do this? Thanks
    So are you saying that movies won't play from a 64GB card but they will play from a 32GB card?
    You were born an original , Don't Die a Copy
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post

    ...What do everybody use in place of a mouse?? I don't know how to highlight yet.. Something simple I

    Ha, loving this Note.. Can't wait to take it with me on a fast motorcycle and/or fast bicycle ride..
    To highlight, long press , very easy.

    ahhh you are a biker dude ;-), that 'splains alot about your adventurous spirit :-). We (well my husband anyway) rides a 2008 ,Soft tail Anniversary special, after ME , it's the love of his life hehe

    Edit: Just been corrected by hubster, he rides a 2008 Anniversary Dyna Lowrider :-)
    Last edited by dianehelen; 01-22-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by Phalgun Gujjar View Post
    Now that you have used it a few days how is the speed etc?

    Sent from my HTC One
    To tell the truth, I am so in awe over the display, I haven't even noticed the speed. It moves fast enough for me right now, and I haven't even started doing some of the omissions that are listed to speed things up.. First off, I am dealing with 3 gbs of RAM, and a quad processor move super fast..With those credentials, it could be slow as molasses, and I would still feel good..
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    To highlight, long press , very easy.

    ahhh you are a biker dude ;-), that 'splains alot about your adventurous spirit :-). We (well my husband anyway) rides a 2008 ,Soft tail Anniversary special, after ME , it's the love of his life hehe
    Highlight press very easy... Okay, will do that..

    On the bikes, well they really don't go with my age.. ..Racebike (06 CBR600RR)Street bike/commuter (07 GSX R1000) That is me up front in my avatar.. Think I was 68 years old on that one..
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Highlight press very easy... Okay, will do that..

    On the bikes, well they really don't go with my age.. ..Racebike (06 CBR600RR)Street bike/commuter (07 GSX R1000) That is me up front in my avatar.. Think I was 68 years old on that one..
    Very cool ;-)! is your name Howard? that's my husband's name . We spent our youth watching motorcycle racing, Kenny Roberts fans
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    dsw1519 likes this.
  20. #20  
    msndrstood's Avatar

    Posts
    1,015 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Baby Baby Boomer here, 57. I'm loving the fact that my fellow boomers are tech geeks. I'm dragging my husband, 59, into the tech world, it hadn't been easy, but he does surprise me at times. I have the Note 3, and have him my Note 2. I'm keeping my eye on that12.2 Pro, I'm ready to ditch the Windows desktop and hoping the 12.2 will be a good replacement.

    My husband rides as well. He's getting ready to sell his '05 Harley Softail and is looking at the Triumph Thruxton, he'll be going back to his roots with Triumph. I used to ride but due to health issues I can't any longer, but we love going to the dirt track races. Cehoward, way to go, dude!

    Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

    Sent via Note 2
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Very cool ;-)! is your name Howard? that's my husband's name . We spent our youth watching motorcycle racing, Kenny Roberts fans
    Yup on the Howard.. I met Kenny Roberts back in the 70s, at Pocono Racetrack in PA. During that time I was pushing a 900 Kaw..I have a hard time telling peeps that I "road race" , no "drag race".. difference is night and day..

    Going to take some time and RTFM... that stands for "read the f------- manual" BTW, my son tried to sway me toward a high end notebook. I told him, that the 2014 does almost everything the high end note book does, and maybe more, along with being super light. They don't understand. Looks like the 2014 will take the place of my notebook, and most likely my main PC at home..

    On the LTE model. Do they sell them in stores??
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Yup on the Howard.. I met Kenny Roberts back in the 70s, at Pocono Racetrack in PA. During that time I was pushing a 900 Kaw..I have a hard time telling peeps that I "road race" , no "drag race".. difference is night and day..

    Going to take some time and RTFM... that stands for "read the f------- manual" BTW, my son tried to sway me toward a high end notebook. I told him, that the 2014 does almost everything the high end note book does, and maybe more, along with being super light. They don't understand. Looks like the 2014 will take the place of my notebook, and most likely my main PC at home..

    On the LTE model. Do they sell them in stores??
    Very cool, we may have been at the same race at the same time. We used to ride his Honda 750 . customed bored out to 900. from BRooklyn NY up to Pocono track to see Roberts , and others race. We even had our honeymoon in the Poconos. Moved to FL in 79, started going to Bike Week in Daytona. Are you stil living up north?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    Baby Baby Boomer here, 57. I'm loving the fact that my fellow boomers are tech geeks. I'm dragging my husband, 59, into the tech world, it hadn't been easy, but he does surprise me at times. I have the Note 3, and have him my Note 2. I'm keeping my eye on that12.2 Pro, I'm ready to ditch the Windows desktop and hoping the 12.2 will be a good replacement.

    My husband rides as well. He's getting ready to sell his '05 Harley Softail and is looking at the Triumph Thruxton, he'll be going back to his roots with Triumph. I used to ride but due to health issues I can't any longer, but we love going to the dirt track races. Cehoward, way to go, dude!

    Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Thanks much, and safe riding to you both..
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1/2014/32gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3/32gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Gear Black

    Sony MDR 1RBTMK2
    Harman Kardon BT
    74, old, dirty and fast!!
    msndrstood likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Very cool, we may have been at the same race at the same time. We used to ride his Honda 750 . customed bored out to 900. from BRooklyn NY up to Pocono track to see Roberts , and others race. We even had our honeymoon in the Poconos. Moved to FL in 79, started going to Bike Week in Daytona. Are you stil living up north?
    Ha, since I am the OP, I am ALLOWED to hijack..

    Small world. When I came to the Pocono Racetrack, it was somehwere between 75 and 78...I had pit passes, that's when I met Kenny Roberts on his dreaded TZ750. Also, met some guys doing production racing on the 900 Kaw. They were located in West Milford, NJ.. Took my 900 Kaw to them, they rebuilt it into a 1000cc monster...I had big fun back in 79 when Kaw came out with the 1000, and I was steady knocking them out with my secretlly bored 900.. Yes, the Honda 750 was the great machine that started it all.. BTW, I took a 145 mile hour get off on the 900 Kaw (street racing)back in 79..As luck would have it, just road burns.. Took a 22 year lay off from riding bikes. Came back in 2001 with a 01 GSX R1000, starting hanging with the youngsters on the mountains. Got real good at mountain carving.. Next level was doing trackdays on the racetrack..I was 65 years old when I first set foot on a race track. Gotta stop here, because this will turn into a small book..
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1/2014/32gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3/32gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Gear Black

    Sony MDR 1RBTMK2
    Harman Kardon BT
    74, old, dirty and fast!!
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Another SMART person picks the GN 10.1 2014, just got it today..

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Ha, since I am the OP, I am ALLOWED to hijack..

    Small world. When I came to the Pocono Racetrack, it was somehwere between 75 and 78...I had pit passes, that's when I met Kenny Roberts on his dreaded TZ750. Also, met some guys doing production racing on the 900 Kaw. They were located in West Milford, NJ.. Took my 900 Kaw to them, they rebuilt it into a 1000cc monster...I had big fun back in 79 when Kaw came out with the 1000, and I was steady knocking them out with my secretlly bored 900.. Yes, the Honda 750 was the great machine that started it all.. BTW, I took a 145 mile hour get off on the 900 Kaw (street racing)back in 79..As luck would have it, just road burns.. Took a 22 year lay off from riding bikes. Came back in 2001 with a 01 GSX R1000, starting hanging with the youngsters on the mountains. Got real good at mountain carving.. Next level was doing trackdays on the racetrack..I was 65 years old when I first set foot on a race track. Gotta stop here, because this will turn into a small book..
    Wow small world indeed. My Howard also took a 24 year break from bikes. After our son was born in '86, sold the red beast and for 24 years yearned for a Hog. A few years ago I made a deal with him ;-), we build our master suite addition to the beach house, I get my my walk in jacuzzi bath tub in my dream bathroom, he gets his Harley. The nano second between the deal offer and his YES answer, was faster than the speed of light. :-D, once a biker person, always a biker person hehe.

    here is "the baby" in case you are interested

    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy Note 10.1: Thinking about buying today. Need advise
    By Floridadomer in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 01:08 AM
  5. the camera screen was all black, non-functional.
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

B