External HDD and Me

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
You could also use ES File Explorer to view the content inside the external USB Device. You should try formatting the device for FAT32. If you are using an HDD, it might need an external power source.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You could also use ES File Explorer to view the content inside the external USB Device. You should try formatting the device for FAT32. If you are using an HDD, it might need an external power source.

The main point of this post, was the OP has a HDD full of movies, etc, that is formatted NTFS. The suggestions were to save the data to another drive, reformat it fat32 or exFat, then recopy the data to it, so the Note can read it.

The latest idea was an app that seems to be able to read (but but write to) the ntfs hdd, so he can see , play, or copy(within the 4gb limit) his movies, etc

If the Note can't natively read the ntfs drive, ES file explorer, or any file mgr won't help

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi.
Just read the post on nexus. Will try later today and update u guys
YES it would be a total pain if i had to reformat everything or convert etc. This suggestion of nexus seems ideal. I dont need to write but just to read. I mean the word library itself suggests the act of reading

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
Just read the post on nexus. Will try later today and update u guys
YES it would be a total pain if i had to reformat everything or convert etc. This suggestion of nexus seems ideal. I dont need to write but just to read. I mean the word library itself suggests the act of reading

curious, have you tried it yet?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh thanks for posting back. Ive been waiting to hear this! VERY cool!

hehe see? iPad cant do THAT? heheheh

Off to the play store to invest my 4 bucks!

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Ur welcome. It was a no brainer...

Please note that this activity is a battery drai er since the tablet is providing power to the hdd. Thats the downside of universal usb. There can only be one hhahaha

Iconia hands down is ghe king of connections

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Please note that this activity is a battery drai er since the tablet is providing power to the hdd. Thats the downside of universal usb. There can only be one hhahaha

If you use a powered USB hub, it can handle several USB devices, and doesn't increase battery drain much.
The downside is it becomes much less portable.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Totally agree with Iconia/king of connections , loved my A500 because of that.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
There are powered stand alone HDD with usb port access..... I have 1 TB Seagate, but have not tried to access it yet.... USB is so versatile once you understand how to get around some software/format idiosyncrasies... Some really good information over on XDA forum about breaking out USB power with hubs to release table from having to power HDD..

Dale