Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default External HDD and Me

I've got several ext HDD ranging from 320gb to 1tb and its full to the brim with hd films.
    Why can't my note read it? Im using a USB OTG dongle and regular sticks work fine.
    My older Iconia A501 has no problem reading any of these.

Help!

Sent from my T753 using Tapatalk

Default Re: External HDD and Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Dvices View Post
    I've got several ext HDD ranging from 320gb to 1tb and its full to the brim with hd films.
    Why can't my note read it? Im using a USB OTG dongle and regular sticks work fine.
    My older Iconia A501 has no problem reading any of these.

Help!

Chances are your drives are formatted as NTSF, which tour Note can't read. I used an old 160GB drive and formatted it exFat. Then I copied the files I wanted onto it, and my Note reads them perfectly.

It doesn't have to be an old drive, but you will have to reformat it as exFat, so it will lose anything that is on it. You can then re-copy the files you want.

Unfortunately, there is no way to use any of your drives the way they are. But you can copy the files to your hard drive before reformatting, then copy them back.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well. My my, in this instance good ole iconia does the job flawlessly in reading 1tb ntfs drive (wd,toshiba)

Now how can i overcome this limitation on hd playback....

Sadly you can't. The Iconia (I had one too, loved the full usb port) was able to read it as it was not usb OTG like the note has. The suggestion above is about the best you are gonna get.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

That's odd... NTFS' patent is held by Microsoft and since it was not licensed for Android, the OS doesn't have support for it (That's why you have to format your drives in exFAT or FAT32, but the latter limits your files to 4GB chunks). If your Acer tablet works (and it's one of the Android models) probably Acer did license the drivers from MS and included them there. Interesting if that's the case.

I had a crappy archos which could READ NTFS drives via OTG but couldnt write. Maybe Microsoft allow this situation?

Interesting. Whichever tablet or phone reads NTFS drives either licensed the patent from Microsoft or implemented on their own without asking, but one thing is certain: Android does NOT support NTFS natively.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I watch movies from my toshiba 1tb drive when connected to the iconia. I then plug the a501 to the tv via hdmi. The only tbjng upsetting is iconia is outdated in it is only capable of 720p movies.
    Was a pretty cool setup until i started collecting fullhd movies

Too bad the P601 aint that flexible with hdd

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

I know it's a pain, but really, just format your drive with ExFAT and that's it... all your devices should be able to see them and the 4GB filesize limit of FAT32 is avoided. Now, as to where you'll be storing your 1TB of movies temporarily while you reformat your drive, well...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thx spooks...guess i gotta go buy another 1tb

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I know it's a pain, but really, just format your drive with ExFAT and that's it... all your devices should be able to see them and the 4GB filesize limit of FAT32 is avoided. Now, as to where you'll be storing your 1TB of movies temporarily while you reformat your drive, well...
    exfat is not a perfect answer either. While my 500 dollar note can read an exfat formatted drive, sadly my 2000 dollar Samsung (not so) smart tv cannot. The tv has 2 lovely full size USB ports, that can only read fat formatted drives. This baffles my mind. With my old Iconia I was able to easily hdmi connect it to the tv to watch a movie that was larger then 4gigs. I have yet to find a way to do this with the Note. After a few disappointing attempts for an hdmi adapter that worked, I gave up and just either use real player cloud, or, luckily most movies are under 4gigs. The one I miss, is my 8gig Stones 50th anniv concert.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

Hi everyone this is my first post in this forum and i am glad to tell you that even though the note 10.1 2014 cannot read ntfs drives out of the box, you can easily do it with an app called "Nexus media importer", its about four bucks on google play an works flawlessly, doesnt need root (there are other free alternatives but they do need root). I have tested this app with a samsung, toshiba an lg 1 tera Hdd, and i can play and transfer all files in the drives, movies, audio, documents, you name it, i can even play 20 Gb movies with DTS audio and external subs, and also .iso dvd rips, its awesome!!!

I guess I'm confused. Are you saying this app lets the Note read an ntfs formatted drive? How is that possible?

edit: hmm very interesting, it says it does read only for ntsb drives. but that certainly would fill a need to read stored media files from a big external hdd.

So you can't write to the hd, but that's ok, if you can read your media, movies, etc. I may have to give this a try
    Last edited by dianehelen; 01-27-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Mai Dvices will be happy to hear about "Nexus media importer". Four bucks is better than a new 1TB drive.

Yes, for ntfs dirves you can read and copy files to your android device with the 4gb size limit, what you cant do is transfer files from your note 10.1 2014 to the hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by MarrowK View Post
    Yes, for ntfs dirves you can read and copy files to your android device with the 4gb size limit, what you cant do is transfer files from your note 10.1 2014 to the hdd.
    Are you saying you can't copy files over 4g from a hdd to the note? But you can read/play them from the hdd?

Thats correct, for example, i transfer some music folders stored in a external hdd, and then i tried to transfer a 12 gb movie from the hdd to the note, the transfer started and the file stopped at 4 gb, the file was playable but of course incomplete, however i could "stream" or play the movie from the hdd just fine.
    Thanked by:

Maybe ..... But device may need to be rooted...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hj200.usbmount

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
    Maybe ..... But device may need to be rooted...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hj200.usbmount

Dale
    that's a totally different app than the one mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    that's a totally different app than the one mentioned
    Yes but maybe its time to try different app........

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

But that one needs rooting, the Nexus media importer, does not.

Global Posts
    4,052 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

You could also use ES File Explorer to view the content inside the external USB Device. You should try formatting the device for FAT32. If you are using an HDD, it might need an external power source.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    You could also use ES File Explorer to view the content inside the external USB Device. You should try formatting the device for FAT32. If you are using an HDD, it might need an external power source.
    The main point of this post, was the OP has a HDD full of movies, etc, that is formatted NTFS. The suggestions were to save the data to another drive, reformat it fat32 or exFat, then recopy the data to it, so the Note can read it.

The latest idea was an app that seems to be able to read (but but write to) the ntfs hdd, so he can see , play, or copy(within the 4gb limit) his movies, etc

If the Note can't natively read the ntfs drive, ES file explorer, or any file mgr won't help
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Hi.
    Just read the post on nexus. Will try later today and update u guys
    YES it would be a total pain if i had to reformat everything or convert etc. This suggestion of nexus seems ideal. I dont need to write but just to read. I mean the word library itself suggests the act of reading

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Dvices View Post
    Hi.
    Just read the post on nexus. Will try later today and update u guys
    YES it would be a total pain if i had to reformat everything or convert etc. This suggestion of nexus seems ideal. I dont need to write but just to read. I mean the word library itself suggests the act of reading

curious, have you tried it yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast