Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dianehelen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default App similar to splashtop

I think splashtop is really great on the note 10.1 but the app does crash more often than I'd like and you have to pay to access your desktop from any other network. Is there anything similar to splashtop that's a little more reliable and allows you to access your desktop on any network?

Default Re: App similar to splashtop

What are you trying to accomplish? Just accessing your desktop or viewing media?

If you have a Windows Professional OS and just want to access the desktop, the Microsoft Remote Desktop app is fantastic on the Note, especially with the SPen and a split and undocked keyboard.

if your desktop is windows 7 pro, you can use the native rdp on the desktop and Microsoft's free, very awesome Android client app

edit: ;-) Cobra and I posted the same thing/same time
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish? Just accessing your desktop or viewing media?

If you have a Windows Professional OS and just want to access the desktop, the Microsoft Remote Desktop app is fantastic on the Note, especially with the SPen and a split and undocked keyboard.
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm guessing it won't work with that? Ultimately the goal will be to view media. Splashtop tends to lag playing HD content over my home network, not sure if that's common or not. I'm hoping to play HD content flawlessly over any network.

Don't bother with Splashtop for network media playback. Share the media folder in Windows and use something like ES File Explorer and browse to the SMB share. MX Player or Dice Player will play most video file formats, although you will need a plugin for DTS audio.

What kind of video files are these?

ya Windows home prem does not support rdp. But if it's just a matter of getting to you files, with a good File mgr app, I love Astro File, you can hook into your home network.

here is a screen shot of my desktop folder home, as seen from my tablet from Astro file

App similar to splashtop-netw.jpg.jpg
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Don't bother with Splashtop for network media playback. Share the media folder in Windows and use something like ES File Explorer and browse to the SMB share. MX Player or Dice Player will play most video file formats, although you will need a plugin for DTS audio.

What kind of video files are these?
    That's what I have been doing and it's served me well. However I'm only able to access the shared folder while on my own wifi network. I wouldn't be able to access these files from anywhere else.

Mostly mkv.

haha cobra! we have to stop meeting like this and having the same ideas :-)
    Cobravision likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superjoe95 View Post
    That's what I have been doing and it's served me well. However I'm only able to access the shared folder while on my own wifi network. I wouldn't be able to access these files from anywhere else.

Mostly mkv.

ahhh true. What about Team Viewer?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    ahhh true. What about Team Viewer?
    I'm not familiar with team viewer. Is it in the play store?

yes, it's another client/server duo. One install on your pc, client on the tablet. I use that with some of my clients who don't have pro level Windows
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

yes, it's another client/server duo. One install on your pc, client on the tablet. I use that with some of my clients who don't have pro level Windows
    Am I limited to just my home wifi network or would I be able to sign in from anywhere?

anywhere. I log into a variety of machines from anywhere I am.

check out their website:

http://www.teamviewer.com/
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

anywhere. I log into a variety of machines from anywhere I am.

check out their website:

TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings
    Sold! I'll defiantly give it a try this weekend.

Using Pocket Cloud.

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.