After reading some reviews, I need help from all owners

HiMynameisMattyK

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I really want this tablet but I a getting discouraged from reviews I'm reading from reputable sites like Engadget and PC magazine. I've heard that the tablet lags a lot and it just isn't smooth in transition to switching apps. Is this true or have these issues been fixed? Any answers would be great. I don't want to drop the money on this tablet unless it is worth it. Thanks!

Ps. I'm looking into the Wifi only model

Posted via Android Central App

Soooperpigdog

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I suppose it all boils down to what apps you're going to be using.. I can't say i've noticed any lag at all, but i'm hardly a power user. What i would say is i do find it anoying that i cant uninstall/disable many of the bundled in bloat that Samsung seem to think we need. Yes i could root it and remove via Titanium (which i've done on many a phone), but i dont really want to root while it's still under warranty...
It's a wonderfull device, and i love using it...go on, get one!!

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I really want this tablet but I a getting discouraged from reviews I'm reading from reputable sites like Engadget and PC magazine. I've heard that the tablet lags a lot and it just isn't smooth in transition to switching apps. Is this true or have these issues been fixed? Any answers would be great. I don't want to drop the money on this tablet unless it is worth it. Thanks!

Okay, so you are talking about the Sammy Note 10.1, i have also hear such things from the various naysayers but i have purchased that device instead of all the criticism and guess what it seems to be working perfectly fine for me !! So, the moral is don't go with all the naysayer's do what you feel is right , take suggestion from others but do whatever you like to do not what other want you to do !! :D

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The sites are just blowing it up, it does sometime have noticeable lags and not like the sites say. Samsung had always release poor perfomance in the firsts releases and improve the perfomance by each update. So far it just has 1 update and 2-3 more updates will greatly improve the smoothness.
Like Ipad Air, alot peoples are complaining about lags, stuttering, crashes with iOS 7 and not a singel word mentioned about it at the sites. But still peoples are buying Ipad Air. iOS 7 had already 2-4 updates and still itsnt solved yet? Note 2014 have only 1 so far.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Two things to consider. A lot of tech sites are bias to some extent. Apple/Samsung haters and lovers. Pick your poison. Another is all the reviews you read are pre - release software or 1st version. Manufactures are shipping out new devices faster than the programmers can get software ready. There isn't a tablet out there that has software completely optimized for the real world at release. Between phones and tablets I've owned 6 Samsung products, most of which are Notes. And I can find a review on each and every one of them that states "it lags". Only one I have had lag issues with was S4. Tweaked a few developer options and disabled Google Now and no more lag. Samsung will take care of its Premier lines of devices or people won't buy them.

ATT N3

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have read some of those reviews too. Frankly I think they are really full of it. Lag? Whats lag? if it takes a nano second, or 2 nano seconds to open a certain app? Give me a break! This is a VERY dynamic and powerful tablet that is really in a class by itself. The VERY tiny bits of lags can be corrected with a few simple adjustments, readily availabe here or many other places on the net. . I AM a power user, NOT a gamer, I would say buy an Xbox if you want to play games. But if you want to surf the web, take and share notes, drawings, photographs, edit documents, edit photographs, watch movies, tv shows, email, do office type documents, have access to the entire world of productivity, and on and on and on, THIS is the best tablet you are gonna find.

Get the Note, check it out, IF you find you dont like it, return it.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I just received the tablet and I am still setting it up but I will give you my input.

Is there lag? Yes. However it is not horrible and does not ruin the device. If the lag bothers you root and install a custom ROM. I was not a big fan of my Galaxy S4 until I rooted it and installed Kitkat. The difference is night and day. Touchwiz is just not a well designed piece of software. Here is hoping the new Magazine UI is a significant improvement.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
. I've heard that the tablet lags a lot and it just isn't smooth in transition to switching apps. Is this true or have these issues been fixed? Any answers would be great.

Samsung touchwiz interface draws lag complaints all the time. To my mind, they are vastly overstated and if you hadn't read the reviews, you probably wouldn't even notice or care. You can turn off animations or root it, too. The device itself is blazing fast. Don't let stuff like this scare you off of the best tablet on the market. You know, not even super fast desktops are instantaneous on everything!

P.s. I haven't even noticed. On my S4, I had no problems, either. I finally turned off animations in developer options just because everyone kept saying to do so. The net difference was minor. If I hadn't heard all the complaints, I wouldn't have had any.

Go to a store. Play with it. See what you think.

VICNLYN

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

First, no device is perfect. I do notice that after the device has been on stand by for some hours, when you turn it on, it is a bit slow to react, just a bit slow. But, after a minute the engine turns on!!! So far, I don't have any problems and let me tell you people I used it A'LOT. I do a'lot of reading, which involves highlighting, taking notes (using multi window), importing docs to pdf, downloading books, maganizes, etc... My wife even suggested "let the machine rest..."

I'm constantly opening and closing business/productivity apps, and GN 2014 does a great job! Suggestion: goggle a youtube video on the tablet or go to a Best Buy and try it for yourself.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I just received the tablet and I am still setting it up but I will give you my input.

Is there lag? Yes. However it is not horrible and does not ruin the device. If the lag bothers you root and install a custom ROM. I was not a big fan of my Galaxy S4 until I rooted it and installed Kitkat. The difference is night and day. Touchwiz is just not a well designed piece of software. Here is hoping the new Magazine UI is a significant improvement.

One of the first things I did was download Nova Launcher so I don't have to deal with Touch Wiz. That helped with the lag, and makes the screens so much more manageable. .

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a great tablet but I suggest you get square trade accidental warranty 3 years for 96.00 if dropped it easily shatters
Where can you get the 3 year square trade with accidental for $96 other than Amazon? If you purchase it from Amazon, it's only good for products you purchase from Amazon.
OP, buy it, you'll be glad you did! :D Just be sure to do the upgrades and then a factory reset.

Shawn Waldo

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think they hit it on the head. Out of the box maybe a little lag, but I installed the updates they have out I notice very little if any lag have had one crashed app 1 time but the rest seem a peppy... I wouldn't say it's instantaneous but laggy? give me a break if you are worried about the reviews their build (software) is out of date now.. had mime about 2 weeks so far I find myself using it more than what I bought it for....

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Is this the perfect tablet? No, of course not. However I don't think you will find better on the market right now. To me it comes down to how quickly do you need/want a new tablet. If you need or want one today get this. If you can wait see if the Nexus 10 2 comes out or check out the new Galaxy tabs when they come out.

I would like it to be a bit smoother but I have not had any app crashes.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Love mine. No lags and also a Nova Launcher user on all my devices... No power/battery life issues as was in the reviews also. Have had 3 tablets- the first gen Galaxy Tab, the Tab 2, and now this note. BEST ONE YET, you will love the speed, the specs, the display and the S-Pen...

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Only time I encounter lag is when turning on the device from sleep mode...and it's not every time just here and there it'll take it a second or 2 rather than being instant. Other than that I haven't had any lag running games or the internet and I'm pretty bad about closing apps in the background so ill have 10 things going all the time

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
OK...here's the deal. I'm all for straight talk and none of the BS so here goes:

I bought mine 3 months ago after owning the last Note 10.1. Is there a huge difference? In screen clarity...YES. The screen is much brighter and clearer. But the downside is that it does lag. I don't care what others say about it. It does. I installed Nova launcher and it still lags. Is it annoying for a powerful tablet like this? Yes. But it's liveable. To me, it's not a deal breaker. Shame on Samsung for loading a bunch of crapware on there that diminishes the great potential of this tablet. But like I said, I'm going to live with it. Because I love the screen and I love to take notes with the S-pen. There isn't a device that's better in terms of screen clarity and the ability to take notes/draw/etc. like the GN10.1 2014.

Now those should be the only two reasons to get this tablet. If you don't plan on taking a lot of notes and don't make use of the S-pen, then don't buy it. It's too expensive. $500 for a tablet is a lot to ask. There's no value in it. Get the Nexus 10, Kindle HDX, hell, even an Ipad is a better buy.

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with most peoples comments, I purchased my Note 10.1 (2014) and as a long term user of Samsung devices, I expected there was going to be a slight bit of lag but I have hardly noticed anything to cause me concern, all devices whether they be Apple, Android or Windows will at some point suffer a bit of lag.

To me this is an excellent device with arguably the best 10" screen available on a tablet at the moment, the S-Pen features make using this device great for business, photo editing and general daily use.

If a 10" tablet is what you are looking for and don't want to go down the Apple route, then I would recommend buying this device.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
all devices whether they be Apple, Android or Windows will at some point suffer a bit of lag..

I would add that sometimes lag gets applied as a generic term for most everything. Earlier in the thread a poster was talking about the delay in coming out of standby, i.e., smart cover stuff. I think that is quite fast, actually, but if sometimes it takes an extra second, um, well, when my Laptop comes out of standby (let alone hibernation), how long does THAT take? Wayyyy longer than my tablet, for sure. Nothing is instantaneous all the time. What computing device is? Sometimes delays are the internet, 3rd party software, etc. The lag complaints are supposed to be centered around this supposed TouchWiz issue. That is a really, really minor issue. I haven't rooted. I see no problem at all. I haven't even bothered to turn animations off, as I did in my S4. There's just no issue that bothers me at all, let alone a deal breaker.

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
OK...here's the deal. I'm all for straight talk and none of the BS so here goes:

I bought mine 3 months ago after owning the last Note 10.1. Is there a huge difference? In screen clarity...YES. The screen is much brighter and clearer. But the downside is that it does lag. I don't care what others say about it. It does. I installed Nova launcher and it still lags. Is it annoying for a powerful tablet like this? Yes. But it's liveable. To me, it's not a deal breaker. Shame on Samsung for loading a bunch of crapware on there that diminishes the great potential of this tablet. But like I said, I'm going to live with it. Because I love the screen and I love to take notes with the S-pen. There isn't a device that's better in terms of screen clarity and the ability to take notes/draw/etc. like the GN10.1 2014.

Now those should be the only two reasons to get this tablet. If you don't plan on taking a lot of notes and don't make use of the S-pen, then don't buy it. It's too expensive. $500 for a tablet is a lot to ask. There's no value in it. Get the Nexus 10, Kindle HDX, hell, even an Ipad is a better buy.

Love the sentence on ipad is a better buy in terms of purchase value. In my my country of indonesia anything of apple related products be it chargers, casing, accessories will have an amazing price justfor being associated with that brand.

If your willing to dish out the cash for an apple product be prepared for a whole new world of expensive ecosystem.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci