Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dianehelen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it S-note that pops up when cover is opened? And Flipboard re: the news screen?

Hey===I've really been liking that convenient notepad/weather/calendar that pops up before you get to the lock screen and when you open the cover on the case. (whatever that feature is called...) But is there any way to operate it from within the tablet without closing the cover and starting over again? Minor point I guess, but I would have some use to it. I was thinking it was s-note, but I'm not sure I can prove that.

Also, just out of curiosity, I'm assuming it's Flipboard that results in the news stories that show up when you move your finger from bottom to top? Can it be configured from that app?

Default Re: Is it S-note that pops up when cover is opened? And Flipboard re: the news screen?

Sorry to disappoint you, but you can't access the lockscreen calendar/note/weather thingy... it pulls data from your Calendar and Weather app, and saves the quick notes onto S-Note, but unfortunately the nice app in the lockscreen can only be accessed there and only with a smart cover.

As for the news app that opens when you swipe up in the Home Screen, it's not Flipboard but it's powered by it. It's called "My Magazine" and it's a part of Samsung's TouchWiz environment. You can configure the news it displays very similar to Flipboard but, unfortunately, if you already have a Flipboard account you can't sync it with this one (great oversight on their part, if you ask me).
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is it S-note that pops up when cover is opened? And Flipboard re: the news screen?

Thanks for the info. However, I don't actually see an app called "My Magazine." Is there a way into it that I'm missing? (I love the feature, btw, which I hadn't expected....but I suspect I can configure to be loved even more. )

There are two ways of getting to it. One (unless you're using a 3rd party launcher or you disabled it from the Settings) is to swipe up while in a Home Screen. Another is to go to the App drawer and find it there; in the tablet, if I recall correctly, it's buried into a Samsung folder or Note Plus folder or something like that.

Once you're in the app, click the menu button and it'll take you to the settings where you can configure which news you want to flip through, just like Flipboard.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    There are two ways of getting to it. One (unless you're using a 3rd party launcher or you disabled it from the Settings) is to swipe up while in a Home Screen. Another is to go to the App drawer and find it there; in the tablet, if I recall correctly, it's buried into a Samsung folder or Note Plus folder or something like that.

Once you're in the app, click the menu button and it'll take you to the settings where you can configure which news you want to flip through, just like Flipboard.
    No, My magazine isnt in the appdrawer, only way to access it is through as u said, swipe up or Home button (if set it that way in settings) (somehow changing to Home button and it still opens when I swipe up).
    One of many things I dont like about Sammy, integrate too much of craps things and no where to finds in appdrawer or disable it. Ex. S finder also cant be find in appdrawer anylonger, except long pressing menu button to bring it up and it dont find anything I search for. -.-
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ok, thanks for all the pointers. Found it.

And after all that effort, the only setting that seems to be changeable in terms of content is what country you get news from. Yawn. I was hoping to be a bit more targeted than that, but...oh well. It's a cool feature, one of the many pleasures of this tablet. It would be nice if this feature were a little more high powered, though.
    Last edited by monsieurms; 01-29-2014 at 07:21 PM.

You know.. a tablet of this power, versatility, and features, is an evolving product. Perhaps as user input contributes there will be updates to accommodate these ideas
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    monsieurms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    No, My magazine isnt in the appdrawer, only way to access it is through as u said, swipe up or Home button (if set it that way in settings) (somehow changing to Home button and it still opens when I swipe up).
    One of many things I dont like about Sammy, integrate too much of craps things and no where to finds in appdrawer or disable it. Ex. S finder also cant be find in appdrawer anylonger, except long pressing menu button to bring it up and it dont find anything I search for. -.-
    Umm... yes it is! I just saw it, opened it... it's there :P hehe Are you sure you didn't hide it or something?

Nope, I really dont have My Magazine app in appdrawer and just flipboard (if that is what u mean?). Maybe I got HK SM-P605 version and its different. (since it didnt comes with extra s-pens tips, so sammy decide to not incl My Magazine app in appdrawer too) :P
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Fwiiw, it is not in my app drawer, either

Posted via Android Central App

Wow... So weird. I don't see why they would 'hide' it from the drawer if you can access it with the swipe action... but stranger things have happened. As for the extra tips, I don't want to sound negative, but I read somewhere that a sure-fire sign that you got a knock-off tablet was to check for the extra tips. Again, if this is a 'local' version I might (hope!) be wrong...

Wow... So weird. I don't see why they would 'hide' it from the drawer if you can access it with the swipe action... but stranger things have happened. As for the extra tips, I don't want to sound negative, but I read somewhere that a sure-fire sign that you got a knock-off tablet was to check for the extra tips. Again, if this is a 'local' version I might (hope!) be wrong...
    HK version doesnt comes with extra tips. But it doesnt matter, I prefer pay 599Euro, instead 800Euro that cost in mine country.

Galaxy Note SM-P605

HK version doesnt comes with extra tips. But it doesnt matter, I prefer pay 599Euro, instead 800Euro that cost in mine country.

Galaxy Note SM-P605
    My P605 was shipped here to Canada from HK and I did not receive the extra tips either. I do have the My Magazine in my App Drawer though

Is it S-note that pops up when cover is opened? And Flipboard re: the news screen?-2014-01-30-16.42.14.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    My P605 was shipped here to Canada from HK and I did not receive the extra tips either. I do have the My Magazine in my App Drawer though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-30 16.42.14.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	394.7 KB 
ID:	102750
    The mysterium still unsolved then...
    Well I just solved it and coz u use Nova Launcher. Try switch back to TW and see if u can find it in appdrawer.

Galaxy Note SM-P605

The mysterium still unsolved then...

Galaxy Note SM-P605
    Yes, looks like the same build number... I was asking over on XDA if I would still get OTA or Kies updates for my tablet since I am using it in Canada... I have not received any at all so I'm wondering if I will be forced to root if I want to get the 4.4 update in a few months. Nobody has an answer for me yet.

Is it S-note that pops up when cover is opened? And Flipboard re: the news screen?-2014-01-24-03.15.55.jpg

When the update hits the country it comes from, it should be available for your model (mine's an US model being used in Mexico...so far three updates, all done at home). Worst case scenario, you'd be forced to update via Kies, not OTA.

PS: I switched to TW and My Magazine is there. Unused since I prefer Flipboard hehe but it's there. I can't recall, though, if it originally came inside a folder...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    Yes, looks like the same build number... I was asking over on XDA if I would still get OTA or Kies updates for my tablet since I am using it in Canada... I have not received any at all so I'm wondering if I will be forced to root if I want to get the 4.4 update in a few months. Nobody has an answer for me yet.
    If on stock, we will get updates when its aviable OTA or KIES and doesnt matter where u live at.
    My coworker at work got a Note 2 HK version and he got 4.3 update. Before it were released here in Sweden. If with root, then wont get any OTA update and also can always dl HK stockfirmware and flash it with Odin. So nothing to worry about.

Galaxy Note SM-P605
    Thanked by: