Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dianehelen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recently came into some money, and I need your help to make a decision

Have about 1500 to spend, and I am looking at either getting a macbook pro, or alternatively, purchasing the note 10.1 2014 and the low end macbook air for 1000,and forking over an extra 100 for the 8gb version.

I am a student, in desperate need of a new computer that does not run Windows becuse I can't deal with its crap anymore. I need a device that I can take notes on, as well as a device that I can read the notes on, and manage my calendar as well as other things on.

I currently have a Nexus 7 2012,but it just doesn't pack a punch, it doesn't have enough ram to do the things I need from it, but I plan on keeping it as a secondary tablet, for watching and listening to podcasts mainly.

The note looks perfect and out of that and the macbooks, I'm most interested in the note. However, it is extremely expensive. I do not want to spend $550 to get the thing, I don't feel it's worth that price, but becuse of Samsungs crap ware, the 16gb apparently has nearly half it's storage taken up by the os. So I need the 32 if I choose to get the device. And I would pair it with a macbook air so that I can take down notes, and basically use it for when I need to use a computer.

But I am still not sure if I should go this route, or just get a macbook pro retina.

Or I can get a macbook air and a 16 gb ipad. Although I'm really not interested in an ios tablet, I would love to have a 10 inch tablet with am hi Def screen for Netflix.

What should I do guys? Is the note worth 550$? Should I get an ipad instead? Or should I just get a macbook pro?
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Recently came into some money, and I need your help to make a decision

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Have about 1500 to spend, and I am looking at either getting a macbook pro, or alternatively, purchasing the note 10.1 2014 and the low end macbook air for 1000,and forking over an extra 100 for the 8gb version.

I am a student, in desperate need of a new computer that does not run Windows becuse I can't deal with its crap anymore. I need a device that I can take notes on, as well as a device that I can read the notes on, and manage my calendar as well as other things on.

I currently have a Nexus 7 2012,but it just doesn't pack a punch, it doesn't have enough ram to do the things I need from it, but I plan on keeping it as a secondary tablet, for watching and listening to podcasts mainly.

The note looks perfect and out of that and the macbooks, I'm most interested in the note. However, it is extremely expensive. I do not want to spend $550 to get the thing, I don't feel it's worth that price, but becuse of Samsungs crap ware, the 16gb apparently has nearly half it's storage taken up by the os. So I need the 32 if I choose to get the device. And I would pair it with a macbook air so that I can take down notes, and basically use it for when I need to use a computer.

But I am still not sure if I should go this route, or just get a macbook pro retina.

Or I can get a macbook air and a 16 gb ipad. Although I'm really not interested in an ios tablet, I would love to have a 10 inch tablet with am hi Def screen for Netflix.

What should I do guys? Is the note worth 550$? Should I get an ipad instead? Or should I just get a macbook pro?
    I'd go the two devices route. A tablet and laptop combo would be great. I'm just missing the tablet; shame none of my professors allow note taking with electronics
    Anyway, a Macbook Air and iPad would be ideal for syncing across the platform, so you can start a Keynote on one and finish it on the other. Just things like that would make it easier to use both
    The Note is cheaper than the iPad, but TouchWiz makes the specs irrelevant. Hate to say it, but I'm actually recommending going all Apple here

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Recently came into some money, and I need your help to make a decision

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I'd go the two devices route. A tablet and laptop combo would be great. I'm just missing the tablet; shame none of my professors allow note taking with electronics
    Anyway, a Macbook Air and iPad would be ideal for syncing across the platform, so you can start a Keynote on one and finish it on the other. Just things like that would make it easier to use both
    The Note is cheaper than the iPad, but TouchWiz makes the specs irrelevant. Hate to say it, but I'm actually recommending going all Apple here

Yea that's one of the things I'm worried about, going full apple. Becuse I also have a phone upgrade that I can use now, and was planning on getting either the note 4 or the iPhone 6 . but I know whatever phone I get will probably be dependent on the tablet I go with.

If I go with the ipad, I miss the stylus, as well as the apps I bought on Android. But I also don't have to get the 32gb just to make sure I have enough space to download apps or podcasts, since I will practically have 0 bloatware.

The note 10.1 2014 seems more equip for taking notes, and highlighting notes, while the ipad really doesn't do a whole lot for me, outside of the good screen and compatibility with the Mac. But 550 for a 32gb note seems excessive, I'd rather pay 50$ less
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Yea that's one of the things I'm worried about, going full apple. Becuse I also have a phone upgrade that I can use now, and was planning on getting either the note 4 or the iPhone 6 . but I know whatever phone I get will probably be dependent on the tablet I go with.

If I go with the ipad, I miss the stylus, as well as the apps I bought on Android. But I also don't have to get the 32gb just to make sure I have enough space to download apps or podcasts, since I will practically have 0 bloatware.

The note 10.1 2014 seems more equip for taking notes, and highlighting notes, while the ipad really doesn't do a whole lot for me, outside of the good screen and compatibility with the Mac. But 550 for a 32gb note seems excessive, I'd rather pay 50$ less
    If $550 for a 32gb 10.1 2014 is excessive, try finding a used or refurbished on.. The GroupOn has the 16gb ones for $389.. Most likely the 32gb one will appear and be in the low $400 range. Should be a win win for you..
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1/2014/32gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3/32gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4/16gb/Black
    Samsung Galaxy Gear Black

Sony MDR 1RBTMK2
    Harman Kardon BT
    74, old, dirty and fast!!

hi. don't forget u can get the 16gb note and get 64gb sd card and apps now on this tab go to so card. so u can hv plenty of space to use.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by robbielyn View Post
    hi. don't forget u can get the 16gb note and get 64gb sd card and apps now on this tab go to so card. so u can hv plenty of space to use.
    Really? So I can put any SD card on it and it will be recognized and I can run apps off of it? I that you couldn't do that on Android.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    If $550 for a 32gb 10.1 2014 is excessive, try finding a used or refurbished on.. The GroupOn has the 16gb ones for $389.. Most likely the 32gb one will appear and be in the low $400 range. Should be a win win for you..
    I buy used things like video games all the time, but I don't trust used or refurbished hardware

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Really? So I can put any SD card on it and it will be recognized and I can run apps off of it? I that you couldn't do that on Android.
    You're right, you can't do it. It's up to the app developers to support the cards, and even if they do, only a very small amount of the app is stored on the card

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

You're right, you can't do it. It's up to the app developers to support the cards, and even if they do, only a very small amount of the app is stored on the card

Oh ok. Well at the least I should be able to download podcasts directly to the SD card right?

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Oh ok. Well at the least I should be able to download podcasts directly to the SD card right?
    I think you can, but I think you have to download it onto the internal storage first. Then you can move them to the external SD

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I think you can, but I think you have to download it onto the internal storage first. Then you can move them to the external SD

Alright thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I buy used things like video games all the time, but I don't trust used or refurbished hardware
    Then you are going to have drop the whole thing out your pockets! Or you could wait for it to become outdated, then I'm sure it will be closer to what you want to spend!

Sony MDR 1RBTMK2
    Harman Kardon BT
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Then you are going to have drop the whole thing out your pockets! Or you could wait for it to become outdated, then I'm sure it will be closer to what you want to spend!
    Yea, it may be best to wait on the table in the meantime and just pick up the 8gb ram air for 1100

thank for the correction.

You complain about a over expensive tablet. But you'll go out and but a mac book air for over 1000 bucks, which are not worth that crazy price. I don't see your logic.

Sent from my SM-P600

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by sirtaugs View Post
    You complain about a over expensive tablet. But you'll go out and but a mac book air for over 1000 bucks, which are not worth that crazy price. I don't see your logic.

Sent from my SM-P600
    A laptop can do a lot more than the tablet, and it's not as expensive as some others out there.

Sent from my SM-P600
    The reason you don't see any logic, is because there is none!

Sony MDR 1RBTMK2
    Harman Kardon BT

How about investing the money? Or if you feel the need to purchase something (and I understand that feeling) purchase the Note 10.1 2014 and invest the remainder. Just because you come into some money does not mean you have to spend it.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Sent from my SM-P600
    I hate Windows, and I understand there is a price to be paid to get with another operating system that I like

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by AMG_Roadster View Post
    How about investing the money? Or if you feel the need to purchase something (and I understand that feeling) purchase the Note 10.1 2014 and invest the remainder. Just because you come into some money does not mean you have to spend it.
    I desperately need to replace my computer, and I need a second tablet to take over some of my first tablets duties

This is coming from a macbook pro guy...bought the fall 13" pro retina and love it. Had a Vaio with Windows 8 and hated it...this was my first mac computer and loved it...never going back to Windows. On the phone and tablet end, I have a iPhone 5 and have been looking for a tablet for work. Was thinking about getting either a iPad mini or the Note 8.0 but checked out the 10.1 2014 edition when I was at Best Buy and fell in love with it. I've only had one less than 48 hours but am slowly figuring it out and finding more and more useful tools that the iPad just doesn't have. The S-pen is amazing...i had a iPad 2 with the bulky stylus and hated it. The S-pen feels natural and there is so much customization with Android. Best tablet i've had in a while. I'm now on the fence about upgrading to the iPhone 6 when it releases in the fall or switching to the S5 when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by ALborntoride View Post
    This is coming from a macbook pro guy...bought the fall 13" pro retina and love it. Had a Vaio with Windows 8 and hated it...this was my first mac computer and loved it...never going back to Windows. On the phone and tablet end, I have a iPhone 5 and have been looking for a tablet for work. Was thinking about getting either a iPad mini or the Note 8.0 but checked out the 10.1 2014 edition when I was at Best Buy and fell in love with it. I've only had one less than 48 hours but am slowly figuring it out and finding more and more useful tools that the iPad just doesn't have. The S-pen is amazing...i had a iPad 2 with the bulky stylus and hated it. The S-pen feels natural and there is so much customization with Android. Best tablet i've had in a while. I'm now on the fence about upgrading to the iPhone 6 when it releases in the fall or switching to the S5 when it comes out.
    I just LOVE when an Apple person peeks out from the bushel and tastes what it's like to have access to the WHOLE fruit bowl

If you love the Note, you will also love the s5.
    Welcome to the delightfully OPEN and custom world of Android
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    Thanked by:
    charles777 likes this.

Only a very small portion of the app is stored on the device memory with the majority of it being put on the sd card. That's the great thing about apps on sd, you can put a whole bunch of apps on device while only taking up a couple of mb's of space.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by ALborntoride View Post
    Thanks for your input, I'm leaning toward the note 4 or iPhone 6. Also considering waiting for the note 10.1 2015 because maybe that will have some type of integration with the note 4.

Went to a best buy today, saw an ipad air, and was not impressed. Played with the note, it had no stylus because it was a display model, but it was smooth and impressive