Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    I'm just curious as to whether anyone has tried to grade papers on their Galaxy Note 10.1? I like having that ability to circle items and make notes on the screen with the s-pen. I have the Note 3, but I've been thinking about splurging on the 10.1 for grading and research purposes. I'm hesitant because of it's a pricy device. Any thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,592 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokie_prof View Post
    I'm just curious as to whether anyone has tried to grade papers on their Galaxy Note 10.1? I like having that ability to circle items and make notes on the screen with the s-pen. I have the Note 3, but I've been thinking about splurging on the 10.1 for grading and research purposes. I'm hesitant because of it's a pricy device. Any thoughts?
    How are you thinking of having students turn in their 'papers'?
    Not saying it's a bad idea, just kicking the idea around and hopefully working out some kinks before they are problems.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    My students already turn their short papers through a web-based system. They submit them as "word" attachments that I can download to my computer via a website. In the past, whenever they've had a major assignment, I've asked them to turn in a hardcopy so that I can write comments directly on the paper. This semester, I've decided to get them to turn everything in online. (I've been having some trouble with my hands. It makes it difficult for me to flip through pages. I'm relying a lot on dictation software and a trackball mouse right now. That being said, I seem to have less trouble with my hands when I use the stylus on my Note 3 than when I use a keyboard.)
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    if you have digital Word docs, notating and grading with this Note will be an absolute joy. You can export the word doc to pdf, then hand write your notes and/or add text annotations with s-pen, and send the pdfs back to the students. A great app for this is RepliGo Reader.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    if you have digital Word docs, notating and grading with this Note will be an absolute joy. You can export the word doc to pdf, then hand write your notes and/or add text annotations with s-pen, and send the pdfs back to the students. A great app for this is RepliGo Reader.
    I haven't tried RepliGo yet. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out on my phone. I've been trying exPDF Reader, but we currently have a love/hate relationship. I was thinking of trying Kingston Office for grading Word docs, but maybe that isn't the best option.
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,592 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    I like kingsoft. The free version allows editing of documents, but I am not sure if it would do well in how you want it to work.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Do you mean Kingsoft Office? That's what I use, but I export the word docs to pdf to annotate.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Oops. I meant Kingsoft. You can tell that I'm a newbie to the device, eh? I actually could ask students to submit their papers at PDFs. That wouldn't be a big deal.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokie_prof View Post
    Oops. I meant Kingsoft. You can tell that I'm a newbie to the device, eh? I actually could ask students to submit their papers at PDFs. That wouldn't be a big deal.
    That would make it even easier. But even if a word doc, export to pdf is very easy
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    The old s note would let you import word pdf documents into it to edit. I haven't found any way to do that in the new s note. But it would be a great idea. The new 10.1 definitely has thepower to do it.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    here is a screenshot of sample pdf file, annotated with Repligo PDF
    Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?-screenshot_2014-02-08-12-32-49.jpg
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Okay so you can import pdf files into snote but the quality goes to crap.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    here is a screenshot of sample pdf file, annotated with Repligo PDF
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-08-12-32-49.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	103956
    Do you maintain the high quality file when you move the PDF back over to the PC? I know that is a disaster with S Note. I tried that and couldn't even read my PDF when I moved it.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffwhite18 View Post
    Okay so you can import pdf files into snote but the quality goes to crap.
    some pdf files seem worse than others. my issue with doing it that way, is I can't seem to find where to access the tools to change color and thickness of the freehand writing tools in s note, when working on an imported pdf. they are clearly available in a regular note in s note, but not when is a pdf, weird
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokie_prof View Post
    Do you maintain the high quality file when you move the PDF back over to the PC? I know that is a disaster with S Note. I tried that and couldn't even read my PDF when I moved it.


    in Repligo Yes! :-), in S note not so good
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    After importing the pdf, open it, click the top right corner on the pencil to edit, then click on the pen image in the top left corner and the pen editing tools will appear.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffwhite18 View Post
    After importing the pdf, open it, click the top right corner on the pencil to edit, then click on the pen image in the top left corner and the pen editing tools will appear.
    Boy I must be having a senior moment, here is my cycle of importing pdf into s note

    Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?-screenshot_2014-02-08-14-13-54.jpg
    Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?-screenshot_2014-02-08-14-14-07.jpg
    Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?-screenshot_2014-02-08-14-14-17.jpg
    Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?-screenshot_2014-02-08-14-15-05.jpg
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    That looks like adobe reader. It's a little weird, but after writing on the screen select save. Then click on what you just wrote and a menu will appear. You can then select the thickness and color of the writing. The next time you write a note it will use those settings.

    On the subject of adobe reader, it looks the same as repligo. If you pay for it adobe reader gives you the option to export to word documents as well. Does repligo do anything that Adobe Reader doesn't or am I missing something.
    Last edited by geoffwhite18; 02-08-2014 at 01:42 PM.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    HUH think I just realized part of my problem. When I import a pdf while in the S note app, it appears to be opening it in Adobe reader.

    So now to figure how to get the import to work to be opening in s note.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffwhite18 View Post
    That looks like adobe reader. It's a little weird, but after writing on the screen select save. Then click on what you just wrote and a menu will appear. You can then select the thickness and color of the writing. The next time you write a note it will use those settings.
    Ha! yep just realized this myself
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Doing this with Lecture Notes by adding an additional layer to preserve the original document is so easy. Give Lecture Notes a try first. Easy to import/export pdf files. Far exceeds the other applications.

    Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

    My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Ok. When you select import inside of snote, don't click on the file itself. Select the button on the right. It took me a minute to figure that out as well.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Ya oook that's a really annoying process . I get it now, but that's why I way prefer Repligo
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffwhite18 View Post
    Ok. When you select import inside of snote, don't click on the file itself. Select the button on the right. It took me a minute to figure that out as well.
    ahhhh the old radio button selection!

    Thanks for educating me :-D
    NOW I SEE the standard s note tools

    Duhhh senior brain, needs more wine today

    Still prefer Repligo for pdf edits
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger#IM View Post
    Doing this with Lecture Notes by adding an additional layer to preserve the original document is so easy. Give Lecture Notes a try first. Easy to import/export pdf files. Far exceeds the other applications.

    Via my Note 3
    Others have also said they like Lecture Notes, I may have to give that a look too
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Grade papers on Galaxy Note 10.1?

    I decided to give the 10.1 a whirl for grading. So far, I think I really will be able to grade papers using Kingsoft Office. The version that came installed on the tablet didn't allow annotation, but if you go to the Kingsoft website, you can download a version that is made specifically for Note devices. It doesn't allow for annotation on PDFs, but it allows you to write comments on Word documents. Initially, I had trouble getting my handwriting to work properly in it, but I think it just gets confused when I lift my hand while writing. It needs you to leave the stylus on the screen until you've finished a word. I've also downloaded Repligo for PDFs.
    Thanked by:

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung Galaxy Core forum
    By galaxycore in forum AndroidCentral.com - Site News, Feedback and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
  2. The S5 and the Galaxy Gear
    By Golfdriver97 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
  3. Clock Time Incorrect on Nexus 7
    By stevectpa in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 11:48 AM
  4. note 2 contact name problem
    By Chungbeom Kim in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 11:33 AM
  5. on but screen black for LG Spectrum
    By stng65 in forum LG Spectrum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Posting Permissions

B