Why are tablet speakers on the back?

KCP6030

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps someone here knows why manufacturers of 10-inch or larger tablets keep putting the speakers on the back of the device. We've used the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 2 and the Google Nexus 10 which both had speakers on the front at the edge of the bezel. I haven't seen any new versions from (Tab or Note) that again have speakers on the front.

Do they need someone to tell them that humans do not have their ears in the palms of the hands?

Kevin

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would guess that in order to have decent (but not too expensive) speaker components in a tablet, they need to be facing the rear in order to accommodate their size. Speaker components that would fit in the bezel of most tablets might not be big enough to produce good sound, or the ones that do produce good sound might be too costly.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why they do that. That is one of the reasons that I loved my original 10.1. I thought the new 10.1 2014 would be effected by having them on the side, but it doesn't seem to effect the sound at all.

My wife has the ipad air, and while it does have better speakers, having both of them on the same side completely ruins the sound. I have two ears and they are on each side of my head. Listening to music or watching movies on the ipad drives me absolutely crazy!

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why they do that. That is one of the reasons that I loved my original 10.1. I thought the new 10.1 2014 would be effected by having them on the side, but it doesn't seem to effect the sound at all.

My wife has the ipad air, and while it does have better speakers, having both of them on the same side completely ruins the sound. I have two ears and they are on each side of my head. Listening to music or watching movies on the ipad drives me absolutely crazy!

I agree, having the speakers on one side of any device is the biggest killer of a quality sound experience you can get.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
If you want sound quality, use earphones (wired or bluetooth) or ear buds.... Micro speakers will never give quality to do music justice...

Dale

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
If you want sound quality, use earphones (wired or bluetooth) or ear buds.... Micro speakers will never give quality to do music justice...

Dale

Correct, it's just a little nicer when speakes have seperation on a device.

KCP6030

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I have resorted to earbuds from time to time. But sometimes I'm just browsing the Internet and come upon a video that I want to view/hear while there's a bit of background noise going on. In those instances, I'm not too inclined to dig out the earbuds. When I've had a 10-inch Tab with the speakers on the side, I've had to cup my hands around the speakers or stick small Post-Its on either side to direct the sound at me. The positioning of the speakers on the front is usually sufficient in improving the sound in these circumstances. This, of course, makes me hesitant to buy any newer tablets that don't have front-facing speakers. I guess I just find it annoying.

Kevin

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have resorted to earbuds from time to time. But sometimes I'm just browsing the Internet and come upon a video that I want to view/hear while there's a bit of background noise going on. In those instances, I'm not too inclined to dig out the earbuds. When I've had a 10-inch Tab with the speakers on the side, I've had to cup my hands around the speakers or stick small Post-Its on either side to direct the sound at me. The positioning of the speakers on the front is usually sufficient in improving the sound in these circumstances. This, of course, makes me hesitant to buy any newer tablets that don't have front-facing speakers. I guess I just find it annoying.

Kevin
^This is what I was to lazy to type out. Who the hell wants to dig out ear buds then have to detangle them just to hear a few seconds of audio once in a while. It's more of a pita than it's worth really.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Is someone complaining about the SIDE speakers of our tablet? Or someone think they're on the back? I was very impressed by the SIDE speakers of our tablet and just another reason for choosing the GN/2014. I have a BT Jawbone Jambox if I really want a deeper richer sound but I'm super impressed with the tablet's sound. I fact, it has better stereo separation than my Jambox.
I'm a little confused here since our tablet has side speakers :confused:

KCP6030

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Is someone complaining about the SIDE speakers of our tablet? Or someone think they're on the back? I was very impressed by the SIDE speakers of our tablet and just another reason for choosing the GN/2014. I have a BT Jawbone Jambox if I really want a deeper richer sound but I'm super impressed with the tablet's sound. I fact, it has better stereo separation than my Jambox.
I'm a little confused here since our tablet has side speakers :confused:

The speakers I'm talking about on the left & right sides of the tablet, but because of the tapered angle of the sides toward the back (which certainly doesn't point toward the front), I refer to them as being on the back.

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The speakers I'm talking about on the left & right sides of the tablet, but because of the tapered angle of the sides toward the back (which certainly doesn't point toward the front), I refer to them as being on the back.

they may not face forward, but the sides are not tapered at all, the speakers do not face backwards at all. They truly do face sideways... When speakers are on the back (as you wrote), it is very different than on the side.... As monikakm was trying to point out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks