SD card question

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
So i've had my 16GB note 2014 for about a week now and still loving it!!! My question is about the SD card though. Since i just got the 16Gb Note (couldn't really afford to go to 32Gb) I've debated about what size SD card to get. I've come no where near using the 16G I have right now but it may be an issue down the road. Since i'm still learning with Android and i've read where you can't download all apps to the SD card i'm wondering about if this option will become available once 4.4 is available for the Note. I saw where the Pro has 4.4 and has a option for downloading apps to the SD card. Is this something that is just for the Pro series or is part of 4.4?? A little confused about all the SD card cans and cants...lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Your Note 10.1 2014 CAN download apps to SD. The thing is (and they don't tell you this on the brochures, obviously) is that it's not up to Samsung to decide, it's up to the devs. App2SD was removed from Android a while back, and Samsung brought it back for its custom OS included in their phones (Nexus phones, for instance, don't have App2SD capabilities nor will they have again... plus, it seems, Nexus devices are done with SD card support at all). The thing is, since it's no longer a part of the CORE functions of Android, the developers don't make use of this. So, while some apps will let you move most of their data to an SD card if your system still supports it, the truth is most apps (and even more with time) don't let you move most stuff to SD card (mostly just extra downloads or files), and some, nothing at all.

But even so, I'd still suggest you run apps from internal memory, as it's faster and more reliable than SD Cards. You can, however, root and hack your tablet into 'thinking' that an SD card is also part of the internal memory so that app installations can go in there, too... But should your card fail or become corrupted, it only means trouble for the system, the app, widgets, etc.

I'd suggest you keep your SD card for media consumption only (pictures, movies, files, etc.).

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
An SD card is like money...you will never be upset at having more than you need. I would not consider anything smaller than 16gb and would recommend a 64gb. You may not need that much space on a daily basis but when you take a trip it is nice to be able to carry all the media you want with you. No need to worry about the quality of your internet connect, whether or not there will be wifi, etc. Prices are cheap. Just look for a card on sale. I think I paid $29 for a name brand 64gb Class 10 card.

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi
Since I have not used an SD card below, I am attaching an image of a card I found on amazon.com Is this OK to use with Note 10.1 2014 tablet?
sandisk64gbmicrosdhc.jpg
It is for $40/-. So my next question would be where did you get a 64gb card for $29?
thanks

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Even $40 is cheap. I paid ?46 for my Samsung 64gb card. Oh Well, one of the downsides ok living in the UK.

I have the 16gb 10.1 too as I couldn't find a 32gb locally. I wouldn't think of putting anything less than 64gb in the SD slot.

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the 32gb version...as ussual with samsung bloatware it translates to 24gb usable. I'd like to purchase a 64 gb however the exchsnge rates at the moment put that card on a 75 dollar pedestal...
Im using a class 4 sandisk 32gb and load all my digital magazines, music and several movies. This is now my primary screen for consuming content. It used to be via laptop connected to a 32" fullhd screen but that was no way portable for my needs.
Equip yourself with the most spacious available card you can afford because if you are anything like me, that space will soon run out.

Forget forking out the extra cash for a class10 because that dont mean squat if its for playing music or video.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes i play fullhd films on the gn. 16gb class 10 and now 32gb class 4. No lag or noticeable perfomance issues. Just speaking from experience..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Me 2... Class 4 CAN handle it, but it's not designed for it. Hopefully yours won't, but I went through two fried Class 4's because of that :(

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if anything but Class 10 shows up anymore in a search on Amazon. Is there a price difference between class 4 and class 10? If you are ordering a card I would just stick with class 10. It maybe overkill but better than being unhappy because the card you purchased is too slow.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the 32gb version...as ussual with samsung bloatware it translates to 24gb usable. I'd like to purchase a 64 gb however the exchsnge rates at the moment put that card on a 75 dollar pedestal...
Im using a class 4 sandisk 32gb and load all my digital magazines, music and several movies. This is now my primary screen for consuming content. It used to be via laptop connected to a 32" fullhd screen but that was no way portable for my needs.
Equip yourself with the most spacious available card you can afford because if you are anything like me, that space will soon run out.

Forget forking out the extra cash for a class10 because that dont mean squat if its for playing music or video.

On the class 10 over the class 4, most people are trying to pick between the Extreme and the odinary class 10.

In all due respect, if the class 4 works for you, that's great... But, the majority of us will not think of anything less than a class 10 sd card. Some will ever go that extra bit, and pay almost double of a what a class 10 would cost, and get an extreme class 10 card.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Plus 64 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter 80MB/s (SDSDQX-064G-AFFP-A): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A : Micro Sd Cards : Computers & Accessories

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I got the 64 gig card. Yes, apps will take a long time to use the internal space or the card... but I load all my mp3 music on the card and my collection uses half of that, 32ish gig... I am not a fan of streaming music or movies as I live in a rural setting. Any media file you wish to store locally will eat up space... If you are looking for lots of space, movies (?) you can get the Seagate WiFi (hot spot) external 1 terra hard drive... actual name is Seagate Wireless Plus... runs around 150-200 dollars... Grab it on the go and you can carry nearly a thousand movies with you... plus access your Internet, email, text etc while in use... Basically is a pass thru battery operated wifi, router, hard drive, hot spot all in one... about the size of a deck of cards...

Posted via Android Central App
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

boyle898

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Your Note 10.1 2014 CAN download apps to SD. The thing is (and they don't tell you this on the brochures, obviously) is that it's not up to Samsung to decide, it's up to the devs. App2SD was removed from Android a while back, and Samsung brought it back for its custom OS included in their phones (Nexus phones, for instance, don't have App2SD capabilities nor will they have again... plus, it seems, Nexus devices are done with SD card support at all). The thing is, since it's no longer a part of the CORE functions of Android, the developers don't make use of this. So, while some apps will let you move most of their data to an SD card if your system still supports it, the truth is most apps (and even more with time) don't let you move most stuff to SD card (mostly just extra downloads or files), and some, nothing at all.

But even so, I'd still suggest you run apps from internal memory, as it's faster and more reliable than SD Cards. You can, however, root and hack your tablet into 'thinking' that an SD card is also part of the internal memory so that app installations can go in there, too... But should your card fail or become corrupted, it only means trouble for the system, the app, widgets, etc.

I'd suggest you keep your SD card for media consumption only (pictures, movies, files, etc.).

My question has to do with file location. I have purchased 2 movies so far. Bought through Amazon or digital right from dvd. When I downloaded through Flixster, I can watch etc. But now I want to move to my new SanDisk 64gb sd card. How do I find the movies to relocate so they will always play when I want them? Is this a Flixster question?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My question has to do with file location. I have purchased 2 movies so far. Bought through Amazon or digital right from dvd. When I downloaded through Flixster, I can watch etc. But now I want to move to my new SanDisk 64gb sd card. How do I find the movies to relocate so they will always play when I want them? Is this a Flixster question?

Yes, it's a Flixster question. I don't use that so I don't know where it stores the files it downloads. Just remember that some services don't even allow moving to SD card without a little trickery (like Samsung Hub). First I'd check to see if Flixster app has the option to move to SD Card. If not, you need to know where it downloads the files and then move those manually to an SD card using a File Explorer (like ES or Astro).

Here's where it gets tricky. If the app doesn't support SD Cards, when you move your files they will NOT (most probably) be seen by the app, so you'd have to play them directly from their new location, and if they're not in a standard movie format, you won't be able to play them in the standard video player. Also bear in mind that because of DRM, these downloaded files are almost certainly device-locked, so even if you move them to an SD card, you wouldn't be able to play them elsewhere but in the same device they were downloaded to (unless the movie is DRM-free, in which case you can use it anywhere the file format is supported).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12