Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So after now 3 months of use with my Note, it feels like its starting to show some signs of , "clog" is what I call it. More crashes of browsers, some hesitation in certain apps. And the worst symptom, is after reading about the issue one user had with adding multi users, I decided to try to add a new user, as I had done in the past. But now when I try, I get a constant error that just says "Unfortunately settings has stopped" , no other info, and just hitting OK brings me back to the home screen. I have cleared cache, force stopped the settings app, but to to avail. Ive called SUTS (samsung useless tech support) and they of course are clueless. The only option they can offer is a factory reset.

I really hesitate to do this, as its taken me months to get this thing set up JUST the way I like it,(no have not rooted it) and have a lot of data on it. Ya, I can back up the data, etc, but its a PITA to do this, and bothers me on such a $$$$ device, to think I will have to periodically start over, if I want the snap and sizzle of a new device back. The multi user thing is not a huge deal for me, but hey, it SHOULD work, yanno?

So, anyone have any info on this error, as well as noticing a bit more app crashes after using this for a while? AND do you find a periodic reset beneficial?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say your having less issues than most others. It's normal for Samsung devices to only get through the 90 day return window before showing the "clog" as you put it(I like that). I use to be a Samsung fan till the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and will never buy another.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Recovery mode. With the phone off, press home + power + volume up until you see small, blue neon letters in the upper right hand corner

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

after doing that I should see an option to clear overall cache?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok done. let's see if it helps the clog/crashes issues. it did not correct the issue of no longer being able to add a new user :-(. Still get that "unfortunately settings has stopped" error

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I had snote crash on me the other day. It's too bad Samsung doesn't have a backup program like apple does. Their backup through itunes is amazing.

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes. FR is the way to go. Its a pain to do but on a more light-hearted n positive note....it will feel like you just purchased the damn thing and that you've just taken it out of the box.

If you like trying new apps and sooner than later unistall them, this cycle of 3 months may be sooner tan expected.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say your having less issues than most others. It's normal for Samsung devices to only get through the 90 day return window before showing the "clog" as you put it(I like that). I use to be a Samsung fan till the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and will never buy another.
I've had all Samsung devices since the S2 and guess what? Never an issue (as long as I don't stick to TouchWiz). All my devices were factory-unlocked, though... Verizon devices, on the other hand, I couldn't say.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok done. let's see if it helps the clog/crashes issues. it did not correct the issue of no longer being able to add a new user :-(. Still get that "unfortunately settings has stopped" error

Try clearing the app cache (from the Settings), not the system one (from Recovery). Go to Settings, Storage, and you should see a 'Cache' portion. Tap on it and you'll be prompted if you're OK with clearing all app caches.

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
is it a common factor for Samsung tablets to slow down after a while? I've had my 10.1 for a little over a week now and love it but am a little concerned about this as well as the glass shattering easily. I take really good care of my devices and mainly use mine for work (taking notes, speech outlines, etc) with a little light gaming and internet surfing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That I can't tell, it's my first Samsung Tablet. Phones, at least in my experience, not so much, but I guess every device, the more apps you load (especially if those apps do something in the background) will eventually slow down the device, but I've even experienced this on the 'ohcomeonitneverlags' iPad.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Try clearing the app cache (from the Settings), not the system one (from Recovery). Go to Settings, Storage, and you should see a 'Cache' portion. Tap on it and you'll be prompted if you're OK with clearing all app caches.

grrr on tried that and get a message about security policy not allowing this apps cache, but the number actually did change

Screenshot_2014-02-15-13-57-05.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That must be for a certain app only. This is the equivalent of going through your App Manager, app by app, clearing cache on each one. Some won't have this function enabled (maybe Knox?) and that's probably why your'e getting that message, but most apps will have cleared. Did it 'fix' the Settings error?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That must be for a certain app only. This is the equivalent of going through your App Manager, app by app, clearing cache on each one. Some won't have this function enabled (maybe Knox?) and that's probably why your'e getting that message, but most apps will have cleared. Did it 'fix' the Settings error?

nope :-(

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I was seriously thinking about factory resetting my S4... it's suddenly slow as molasses... everything lags big time, app performance, screen transitions, app switching... it's really become awful... and I've been using Nova since the beginning. Clogged is a great way of putting it Diane... the phones arteries definitely seem clogged. I have a question though... the 4.4 update is a few weeks away if I believe the carrier so I am wondering what effect factory resetting has on software updates... if I wait until 4.4, and then do a factory reset... will 4.4 still be there or will it bring it back to an earlier version ? My tablet is still too new to experience any clogging but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens in a few months... might just be a TouchWiz thing. My question is pertinent here as 4.4 should also be around the corner for Note 10.1 users. I think I remember reading somewhere on XDA that it is actually a good thing to do a factory reset after a major software upgrade, but I don't remember where I read it and if it's accurate or just some poster's personal opinion.