Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    So after now 3 months of use with my Note, it feels like its starting to show some signs of , "clog" is what I call it. More crashes of browsers, some hesitation in certain apps. And the worst symptom, is after reading about the issue one user had with adding multi users, I decided to try to add a new user, as I had done in the past. But now when I try, I get a constant error that just says "Unfortunately settings has stopped" , no other info, and just hitting OK brings me back to the home screen. I have cleared cache, force stopped the settings app, but to to avail. Ive called SUTS (samsung useless tech support) and they of course are clueless. The only option they can offer is a factory reset.

    I really hesitate to do this, as its taken me months to get this thing set up JUST the way I like it,(no have not rooted it) and have a lot of data on it. Ya, I can back up the data, etc, but its a PITA to do this, and bothers me on such a $$$$ device, to think I will have to periodically start over, if I want the snap and sizzle of a new device back. The multi user thing is not a huge deal for me, but hey, it SHOULD work, yanno?

    So, anyone have any info on this error, as well as noticing a bit more app crashes after using this for a while? AND do you find a periodic reset beneficial?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Have you tried clearing overall cache? That usually helps before trying a factory reset.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    I would have to say your having less issues than most others. It's normal for Samsung devices to only get through the 90 day return window before showing the "clog" as you put it(I like that). I use to be a Samsung fan till the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and will never buy another.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Have you tried clearing overall cache? That usually helps before trying a factory reset.
    where do you do that?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,456 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,535 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    where do you do that?
    Recovery mode. With the phone off, press home + power + volume up until you see small, blue neon letters in the upper right hand corner

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Recovery mode. With the phone off, press home + power + volume up until you see small, blue neon letters in the upper right hand corner

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    after doing that I should see an option to clear overall cache?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  7. #7  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,456 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,535 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    after doing that I should see an option to clear overall cache?
    Yeah. Use the volume buttons to move down to "Wipe Cache Partition" and use the power button to select it

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Ok done. let's see if it helps the clog/crashes issues. it did not correct the issue of no longer being able to add a new user :-(. Still get that "unfortunately settings has stopped" error
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    I had snote crash on me the other day. It's too bad Samsung doesn't have a backup program like apple does. Their backup through itunes is amazing.
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,456 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,535 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffwhite18 View Post
    I had snote crash on me the other day. It's too bad Samsung doesn't have a backup program like apple does. Their backup through itunes is amazing.
    There's Kies, but it isn't very good lol

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Yes. FR is the way to go. Its a pain to do but on a more light-hearted n positive note....it will feel like you just purchased the damn thing and that you've just taken it out of the box.

    If you like trying new apps and sooner than later unistall them, this cycle of 3 months may be sooner tan expected.

    Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would have to say your having less issues than most others. It's normal for Samsung devices to only get through the 90 day return window before showing the "clog" as you put it(I like that). I use to be a Samsung fan till the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and will never buy another.
    I've had all Samsung devices since the S2 and guess what? Never an issue (as long as I don't stick to TouchWiz). All my devices were factory-unlocked, though... Verizon devices, on the other hand, I couldn't say.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Ok done. let's see if it helps the clog/crashes issues. it did not correct the issue of no longer being able to add a new user :-(. Still get that "unfortunately settings has stopped" error
    Try clearing the app cache (from the Settings), not the system one (from Recovery). Go to Settings, Storage, and you should see a 'Cache' portion. Tap on it and you'll be prompted if you're OK with clearing all app caches.
    Thanked by:
    Amir 
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    is it a common factor for Samsung tablets to slow down after a while? I've had my 10.1 for a little over a week now and love it but am a little concerned about this as well as the glass shattering easily. I take really good care of my devices and mainly use mine for work (taking notes, speech outlines, etc) with a little light gaming and internet surfing.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    That I can't tell, it's my first Samsung Tablet. Phones, at least in my experience, not so much, but I guess every device, the more apps you load (especially if those apps do something in the background) will eventually slow down the device, but I've even experienced this on the 'ohcomeonitneverlags' iPad.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Try clearing the app cache (from the Settings), not the system one (from Recovery). Go to Settings, Storage, and you should see a 'Cache' portion. Tap on it and you'll be prompted if you're OK with clearing all app caches.
    grrr on tried that and get a message about security policy not allowing this apps cache, but the number actually did change

    Opinions on factory reset after a period of use-screenshot_2014-02-15-13-57-05.jpg
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    That must be for a certain app only. This is the equivalent of going through your App Manager, app by app, clearing cache on each one. Some won't have this function enabled (maybe Knox?) and that's probably why your'e getting that message, but most apps will have cleared. Did it 'fix' the Settings error?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    That must be for a certain app only. This is the equivalent of going through your App Manager, app by app, clearing cache on each one. Some won't have this function enabled (maybe Knox?) and that's probably why your'e getting that message, but most apps will have cleared. Did it 'fix' the Settings error?
    nope :-(
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    I routinely clear the cache (s) when the urge hits.

    Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

    My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    I was seriously thinking about factory resetting my S4... it's suddenly slow as molasses... everything lags big time, app performance, screen transitions, app switching... it's really become awful... and I've been using Nova since the beginning. Clogged is a great way of putting it Diane... the phones arteries definitely seem clogged. I have a question though... the 4.4 update is a few weeks away if I believe the carrier so I am wondering what effect factory resetting has on software updates... if I wait until 4.4, and then do a factory reset... will 4.4 still be there or will it bring it back to an earlier version ? My tablet is still too new to experience any clogging but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens in a few months... might just be a TouchWiz thing. My question is pertinent here as 4.4 should also be around the corner for Note 10.1 users. I think I remember reading somewhere on XDA that it is actually a good thing to do a factory reset after a major software upgrade, but I don't remember where I read it and if it's accurate or just some poster's personal opinion.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    I was seriously thinking about factory resetting my S4... it's suddenly slow as molasses... everything lags big time, app performance, screen transitions, app switching... it's really become awful... and I've been using Nova since the beginning. Clogged is a great way of putting it Diane... the phones arteries definitely seem clogged. I have a question though... the 4.4 update is a few weeks away if I believe the carrier so I am wondering what effect factory resetting has on software updates... if I wait until 4.4, and then do a factory reset... will 4.4 still be there or will it bring it back to an earlier version ? My tablet is still too new to experience any clogging but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens in a few months... might just be a TouchWiz thing. My question is pertinent here as 4.4 should also be around the corner for Note 10.1 users. I think I remember reading somewhere on XDA that it is actually a good thing to do a factory reset after a major software upgrade, but I don't remember where I read it and if it's accurate or just some poster's personal opinion.
    All good questions. For me, my s4 is fine. I really don't do near as much I that as I do on the Note. I did have a weird experience with the last big update on s4. it totally overwrote all my home screens back to default. no one else seemed to have this and to this day I have no idea how that happened. Now, I routinely save screen shots of my home screens, in case some rogue update does that again. I'll see how things go and see if 4.4 arrives soon, and if it corrects my issues on the Note.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
    charles777 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    All good questions. For me, my s4 is fine. I really don't do near as much I that as I do on the Note. I did have a weird experience with the last big update on s4. it totally overwrote all my home screens back to default. no one else seemed to have this and to this day I have no idea how that happened. Now, I routinely save screen shots of my home screens, in case some rogue update does that again. I'll see how things go and see if 4.4 arrives soon, and if it corrects my issues on the Note.
    Sounds like a good plan
    When I receive 4.4 on my S4 if it's still "clogged" I'll factory reset it and see what happens.... as for the tablet, I haven't had any issues yet so nothing to decide for now.
    Maybe somebody else will chime in about whether it's a good thing to factory reset after a major upgrade and we can decide once our tablets receive it.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by charles777 View Post
    Sounds like a good plan
    When I receive 4.4 on my S4 if it's still "clogged" I'll factory reset it and see what happens.... as for the tablet, I haven't had any issues yet so nothing to decide for now.
    Maybe somebody else will chime in about whether it's a good thing to factory reset after a major upgrade and we can decide once our tablets receive it.
    *bumper...an accidently back key press erased mine long post. This time I make it short. *

    Factory reset wont revert back to 4.3, after updated to 4.4 and only recommended cause it will delete all apps, that mostly arent updated yet for 4.4. Mostly main reason for most of the problems occurs after each new firmware update.
    Either its minor bugs with the new firmware and just need for Samsung to release fixes for it.

    Personally I have never done any factory reset when running stock ROMs, on all mine devices, only time is when sended it in for repairs and Sammy techs is doing it for me.

    Mine way to track problems, is too remember when the problems occurs, then see the latest apps installed and uninstall one by one, too see if it fix the problem and search on the web too see if many others having same problem. There are alot of bad written apps, that causes sluggishness on the device and get rid of that bad written app will help.

    Factory reset is just a fast easy way to delete all of those bad written apps or "incompatible apps with others apps" and reinstall all apps after factory reset, will just get back to step 1.
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    Mine way to track problems, is too remember when the problems occurs, then see the latest apps installed and uninstall one by one, too see if it fix the problem and search on the web too see if many others having same problem. There are alot of bad written apps, that causes sluggishness on the device and get rid of that bad written app will help..
    How do you know when a particular problem starts. , Its not like you try every single app and function of the tablet after every app is installed. If you DO, you have wayyyy more time on your hands than I do
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    How do you know when a particular problem starts. , Its not like you try every single app and function of the tablet after every app is installed. If you DO, you have wayyyy more time on your hands than I do
    Yeah, I know, this method is real time wasting and its hard to track down the bad app. But I really hate to reconfigure everything, input all login/passwords again and losing all app/game data.
    With rooted device, its not a problem to back it all up and with non rooted device, its pain in the *** to get everything back up running.

    Factory reset is a last resort for me, if cant find the problem that make the device unusable and luckily it havent gone so far.

    Galaxy Note SM-P605
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. help HTC one bought it fairly used
    By Osuagwu Darlington in forum HTC One
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM
  2. Moto G dialpad does not load first time after Android 4.4.2 Kitkat update?
    By Praveen Kumar Jayaram in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 09:53 PM
  3. GoClever Terra 72 Tablet wont turn on.
    By Filip Pajic in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 05:33 PM
  4. Lost S memos on update!
    By 79diz in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM
  5. Lg g2 after the buzz
    By silvecents in forum LG G2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

B