Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition

Okay so I finally got my Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 love it, but I waited till my battery is dead to recharge the first night it charged to 50% now I've go the red X through the battery an this s when I'm using my charger that came with it. So I find a another USB charger around the house witch seems to be charging fine, but is it good enough to really get the full charge?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: charging the note 10.1 2014 edition

I had that same red x with the charger. It means the charger cable is bad. I called Samsung and they sent a replacement. They new one works fine.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

I've had that same issue with a cable I purchased but all was fine after it was replaced. Speaking of charging the Note, 2014: Although my battery life has been pretty good, when I do need to charge my tablet, it takes several hours to fully charge & it seems like forever if I'm using the tablet while its charging. Anyone else experiencing this?? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a good name wall charger (adaptor) possibly one with a higher Amp for a quicker charge, I'd like to know what your using. Thanks guys (&gals!)

Quote Originally Posted by DMarie04 View Post
    I've had that same issue with a cable I purchased but all was fine after it was replaced. Speaking of charging the Note, 2014: Although my battery life has been pretty good, when I do need to charge my tablet, it takes several hours to fully charge & it seems like forever if I'm using the tablet while its charging. Anyone else experiencing this?? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a good name wall charger (adaptor) possibly one with a higher Amp for a quicker charge, I'd like to know what your using. Thanks guys (&gals!)
    If its the WiFi version, it will take around 5H to charge and if you using it while charging. It will take much longer and wont help if using others charger.
    Input is controlled by the device, so it wont get fried or damage the circuits and using ex. 3 amp. It dont charge the tablet at 3amp, all depends on the limit input of the device and also on the cable quality. So far I found the best charging cable (only for charging and no data) is able to output max around 1700mah and if using a 3amp charger. Output from charger will still be 1700mah max and its limit by the cable.
    Samsung usb cable that comes along with the tablet, is able to output around max 1700mah and somehow Samsung made the data working too.
    Thanked by:

I plug my Tab in at 10pm at 22% and when I unplug it at 6am it's only at 58%. What seems to be the problem?
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I plug my Tab in at 10pm at 22% and when I unplug it at 6am it's only at 58%. What seems to be the problem?
    There might be some app draining the battery. Check the battery in the settings menu at 6am (after the night charging) to see what's using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbuch View Post
    There might be some app draining the battery. Check the battery in the settings menu at 6am (after the night charging) to see what's using it.
    I think I found the culprit. Exchange Services (Microsoft mail) was eating a lot of battery. I changed it from "push" to "check every 5 minutes" and the problem went away. Also, battery lasts a lot longer now. Last I looked I still had 74% after 5 hours.
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Charging the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition

I had an issue with battery draining fast on my 2014 and long charge times then I shut off GPS, multi screen, etc. turned screen down to 40% and now get 10+ hours and to charge it faster, turn the tablet Off while charging. Twice as fast charging compared to just in sleep mode.
    Thanked by:

I don't often get the problem with the red cross, but my charging just shuts off after a few minutes, particularly if I put it in standby mode. The lightning bolt just disappears. To date I haven't tried the included plug because it is a Hong Kong plug and I didn't want to bother with adapters, but I am using a 12W iPad charger, which is ample for the device, since it needs about 10.2W. It doesn't matter if I use the very short included cable or a long, thick (heavy duty, low resistance) micro-USB cable. I never had this problem with my nexus devices.

I charge mine turned off. Usually at night when calling it a night. Charges up fine.

Posted from my awesome Note3
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I charge mine at night but while on. Not only do I use it as an alarm clock (one of several) but I use it to listen to music from my catalog while trying to get to sleep. By the time I wake up, it's at 100%.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,975 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I like to use the USB wall charger from an iPad actually you can buy them from best buy and it puts out more and will charge faster.
    Android: Nexus 6 64gb Midnight Blue, OnePlus One 64gb Sandstone Black
    iOS: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
    Windows Phone:Lumia 822

You are noticed, that the original Powercharger is about 5,3V and 2A? If you use a standard 5V Charger it take long time to charge or does´t work if the ampere is to less.
    I wanted to buy a solar-charger but it seems to be a problem.

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1. Battery went to zero and now its not charging. Even I used the cable came with the Tab. Sometimes the loading battery image comes, but it doesn't charge at all.

I am having a charging problem on my Note 10.1 2014 edition. It started a couple of days ago.
    I typically charge my tablet overnight and it always shows 100% in the morning. A couple of days ago, I unplugged my tablet in the morning, but didn't check it or take it to work with me. When I got home, I opened it (it was on standby all day) and the charge showed 37%. I thought I had probably not charged it overnight properly. It usually shows 97-98% if I don't use it all day. I plugged it and started using it, and although it worked, the charge was not going up.
    I plugged it again overnight, but the next morning the charge had not gone up at all, and I know I had plugged it in properly. The charge indicator shows the lightning bolt so there is power from the charger coming in, but the battery just won't keep it.
    I used the tablet unplugged for a short while, and the tablet spontaneously rebooted itself. After rebooting, the battery showed about 20% less than just before it rebooted. It rebooted by itself again a few minutes later, and showed the battery in the red, at about 8%.
    When I look at the battery status, it shows the screen using up over 70% of the battery, and it doesn't seem to recognize when I plugged it in. It says 1 day 8 hours on battery, when I actually plugged it in and tried charging it just a few hours ago. The battery stats should reset after a recharge.
    I am trying to charge it while it is completely OFF, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    I am using the original Samsung charger that came with the tablet, and it seems to be fine.

Thanks.

I have exactly the same problem. This is the second Note with the same problem, and we haven't even gotten the thing set up completely yet and it just won't charge all the way up.

I asked the Samsung guy at BestBuy and he sold me some random chargers that don't help at all. TMobile's documentation all states how important it is to use the charger and cables that came with the device with dire warnings of ruining devices. But, the new thing didn't come with chargers so oh well?

Why oh why do people "drain" their battery before charging?

I understand that is not a good idea.
    I have never done so and mine is fine and has been for over a year.

Depending on chemistry there is always a minimum voltage per cell below which the battery cannot recover.
    SPH-L710, Note 10.1 2014

The concept of draining battery was from old NICKEL-CADMIUM battery technology.... Old cell would form a memory, such as if you only drained it to 50 % (at each use) it would form a memory and never go below 50% over time so you did not ever have full battery capacity... So you always drained to the max so cell did not form a small capacity memory and you always had full capacity...

NEW LITHIUM-ION batteries do not have memory capacity problem... You can start charge at any battery state (of charge) and It will always go to full capacity and never form a memory at a partial charge.... If table warns you to plug in charger, do it.... It will promote battery life, because as stated above, you can damage battery by taking its internal voltage below its recoverable range, not capacity but voltage.... And yes the battery science is based on chemistry... For me at end of day it always goes on charger (no matter what percentage used that day), so next day I am greeted with 100%charge for use that day....

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    tomlh and RevLauren like this.

I been using the 10.1 for several months, agree It takes for ever to charge. But using the actual Samsung 240V adaptor and USB lead it charges quickly. likewise if charging via the PC USB port it is OK but take overnight. I have noted that if you use any other 240v adaptor or USB lead it charges until the screen turns off and then stops charging, but I can't find a way to turn off the screen turn off

The Note comes with a 2.1A charger.
    If using USB, current is limited by design. (500mA for USB 2.0 and 900mA for USB 3.0)
    It's no wonder it takes a long time to charge from the PC if you have less than 1/2 (or 1/4!) the current supplied by the OEM charger.

I've never seen my tablet stop charging when the screen goes to sleep.
    Are you using a dedicated charging cable, or a data cable?
    SPH-L710, Note 10.1 2014

PC USB ports max out about 700ma (.7 amp) which is about 1/3 the output of standard Samsung tablet charger, 2000ma (2 amp) ....

On Samsung wall transformers the "+" & "-" data leads are shorted in transformer plug, this signals tablet it is plugged into highout put (2 amp) charger... Cable has pretty little do to with charge rate other than it may have small wire size (generic off the shelf cable) that may be current/voltage limiting...

Dale

Dale,
    Read the USB Working Group's implementation agreement (linked here under "battery charging specifications")
    USB.org - USB Power Delivery
    For 1,1 (adopted April 15 2009), USB 2.0, is 500mA, USB 3.0 is 900mA
    For 1.2 (adopted March 15 2012) aka USB OTG, the minimum charging current available is 1,500mA.

You may measure 700mA with an inductive meter, but that is the device itself limiting current, not the USB port's output by design.

Shorting pins does work for Samsung devices, but best practices are to use a 1.5kΩ resistor across the data leads, as defined in the standard for downstream charging.

There are plenty of cheap USB cables that are not going to pass 1 1/2A without popping like a fuse.
    Other than the OEM Samsung cable, I like Blackberry cables because of their quality and the fact that genuine cables are almost free on Ebay since the bottom fell out of RIM.

"In God we trust, all others bring data to back it up"
    SPH-L710, Note 10.1 2014

Really....... Whole point here is to use what Samsung supplied with tablet in manner instructions state.......

Dale
    tomlh likes this.

Exactly Dale. It's not rocket science. Just don't drain the battery ( I have mine set for 15% warning), use the charger Samsung gave you and plug it in whenever you like for as long as you like turned on or off and enjoy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast