Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PSL_Vet
  • 1 Post By TabGuy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Red face KiKat announced for GN 10.1 2014

Great news

"Samsung has just unveiled the full list of devices that will get updated to Android KitKat, and confirmed that updates start rolling out today".
    And guess who is in that list??

Thanked by 2:
    atg284 and hduarte1 like this.

Default Re: KiKat announced for GN 10.1 2014

does happy dance glad to see this....only wish they had given definitive dates for when update would occur.

There were no doubt that Note 2014 would get 4.4 update and no surprise, just matter of time.
    I just hopes 4.4 fixed the screen shaking, touch reset issue and short video by someone in Korea describing it:

Samsung Korea rolled out 4.3 NB1 update recent and fixed these issues for Korea region. Hopes same for 4.4 and I will be glad.

Good to hear, I guess. Does this mean we should be concerned about the update messing stuff up we already have on the tablet? What about our configured home screens? Will the update wipe those out and set it back to default? What about if we are using an alternate launcher?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    There were no doubt that Note 2014 would get 4.4 update and no surprise, just matter of time.
    I just hopes 4.4 fixed the screen shaking, touch reset issue and short video by someone in Korea describing it:

Samsung Korea rolled out 4.3 NB1 update recent and fixed these issues for Korea region. Hopes same for 4.4 and I will be glad.
    I dont have that issue at all? Wonder if it has something to do with the content on the non english language pages?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I dont have that issue at all? Wonder if it has something to do with the content on the non english language pages?
    Mine video about it:
    Nothing to do with non eng contents and happens in google play, webrowser, apps, games etc... But at least Samsung Korea noticed the problem and released fix for it.

Does this mean we should be concerned about the update messing stuff up we already have on the tablet? What about our configured home screens? Will the update wipe those out and set it back to default? What about if we are using an alternate launcher?
    No, all will be left intact, unless Samsung really messed up with the update and like they did with 4.3 release for S3 back in Nov last year. Made 4.3 for S3 unusable and Samsung draw back the update. Peoples were forced to do factory reset and goes back to 4.2.
    Best thing is to wait and see if any problems reported by others. That I usually do and let others be "guineas pigs".
    If no big problems reported and I will update, never hurry in new updates for me

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Good to hear, I guess. Does this mean we should be concerned about the update messing stuff up we already have on the tablet? What about our configured home screens? Will the update wipe those out and set it back to default? What about if we are using an alternate launcher?
    It should not mess up anything. This is just like any other Android upgrade. I have never had an issue. Now if it includes the new Magazine UI...well not sure what changes that will result in.

- - - Updated - - -

At least we do not have a carrier as the middle man here. Should roll out much faster than for phones.

The issue from the video above, apparently, only hit certain units in Korean market, not US. Also, on that note, I know most of us are either in the US or end up buying US models even though we don't live there (like me! :P), but read carefully: This was released by Samsung AMERICA.

Yes, if it's coming for the US it's sure to be coming for the rest of the world as well (unless your carrier gets in the way, then you're screwed...), but the list and timeframes here are for AMERICAN models. That being said, the update for this tablet might hit US tablets and other countries', like the UK, Canada, or Korea, might not see it until a few months later. I'm just trying to keep you guys from going into the ER with a broken fingertip because you've been hitting the "Check for Updates" button for a whole week just because you read that US users were already getting their updates.

As for the setup, it shouldn't break anything, but this is Sammy we're talking about, so don't rule it out. In any case, if you're using a 3rd party launcher, you shouldn't have to worry as the update won't touch that setup. The problem, however, is knowing if the KitKat update doesn't break compatibility with the launcher you're using.

Can't wait for this!

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    The problem, however, is knowing if the KitKat update doesn't break compatibility with the launcher you're using.

KitKat has been out for a fairly long time now. There should be no issues with the launchers not being compatible. There has been plenty of time for them to work through any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AMG_Roadster View Post
    KitKat has been out for a fairly long time now. There should be no issues with the launchers not being compatible. There has been plenty of time for them to work through any issues.
    If only that were true. Sure, KitKat as an OS has been out for all to taste and test... But Samsung's got their own code baked in here, too. Say what you want, but Android fragmentation IS a thing, and it does break stuff. Chances are slim, granted, since it works in Jelly Bean and the changes to the code wouldn't be major, but there's a reason the original Note 3 KitKat update was stalled: It had bugs that broke compatibility, and it wasn't KitKat's fault. Same thing here, it MIGHT happen, it's just a (very) long shot.

It should be noted that the way the external SD is accessed has changed dramatically in Kit Kat and may not be usable in the way you use it now. I'd wait before installing the 4.4 upgrade. See more information .
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    It should be noted that the way the external SD is accessed has changed dramatically in Kit Kat and may not be usable in the way you use it now. I'd wait before installing the 4.4 upgrade. See more information .
    OK, I read this entire (disheartening) article first thing this morning thru blurred eyes and a foggy brain. So maybe that's why I found it somewhat confusing.
    Bottom line...could KK mess with the ability to put .pyv files (Samsung movies) on my external SD card. We just uncovered that it can actually be done.
    Is KK going to squash it? Sounds like Google wants to control EVERYthing. Surprise! I don't live in a "cloud" friendly area. I'm out in the boonies. Satellite is
    my only internet option (other than dialup). 10GB data cap/month and download/upload speeds are embarrassing. One of my main reasons for choosing this
    tablet was the SD card slot. And, I just bought a Sandisk Connect Wifi USB Flash Drive ( ) to use with the GN and other wireless devices. Could KK possibly affect that as well?
    Hummm, that was just supposed to be a link not an embedded video.

Does this mean loosing contacts?

Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger#IM View Post
    Does this mean loosing contacts?

Via my Note 3
    If the app stores contacts on the SD card then the contacts will be deleted when the app is deleted.
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    OK, I read this entire (disheartening) article first thing this morning thru blurred eyes and a foggy brain. So maybe that's why I found it somewhat confusing.
    Bottom line...could KK mess with the ability to put .pyv files (Samsung movies) on my external SD card. We just uncovered that it can actually be done.
    Is KK going to squash it? Sounds like Google wants to control EVERYthing. Surprise! I don't live in a "cloud" friendly area. I'm out in the boonies. Satellite is
    my only internet option (other than dialup). 10GB data cap/month and download/upload speeds are embarrassing. One of my main reasons for choosing this
    tablet was the SD card slot. And, I just bought a Sandisk Connect Wifi USB Flash Drive ( ) to use with the GN and other wireless devices. Could KK possibly affect that as well?
    Hummm, that was just supposed to be a link not an embedded video.
    I don't thinks what Google is doing here is draconian. I believe what they're doing is to try to make the data safer and protected. Keeping rogue apps from accessing data stored by other apps is a part of it. It's a difficult situation and certainly not what we've come to expect for external SD cards.
    boudicca00 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    edit:
    nvm