KiKat announced for GN 10.1 2014

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
There were no doubt that Note 2014 would get 4.4 update and no surprise, just matter of time.
I just hopes 4.4 fixed the screen shaking, touch reset issue and short video by someone in Korea describing it:

Samsung Korea rolled out 4.3 NB1 update recent and fixed these issues for Korea region. Hopes same for 4.4 and I will be glad.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear, I guess. Does this mean we should be concerned about the update messing stuff up we already have on the tablet? What about our configured home screens? Will the update wipe those out and set it back to default? What about if we are using an alternate launcher?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
There were no doubt that Note 2014 would get 4.4 update and no surprise, just matter of time.
I just hopes 4.4 fixed the screen shaking, touch reset issue and short video by someone in Korea describing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqIPWYIpHE

Samsung Korea rolled out 4.3 NB1 update recent and fixed these issues for Korea region. Hopes same for 4.4 and I will be glad.

I dont have that issue at all? Wonder if it has something to do with the content on the non english language pages?

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I dont have that issue at all? Wonder if it has something to do with the content on the non english language pages?

Mine video about it:
Nothing to do with non eng contents and happens in google play, webrowser, apps, games etc... But at least Samsung Korea noticed the problem and released fix for it.

Does this mean we should be concerned about the update messing stuff up we already have on the tablet? What about our configured home screens? Will the update wipe those out and set it back to default? What about if we are using an alternate launcher?
No, all will be left intact, unless Samsung really messed up with the update and like they did with 4.3 release for S3 back in Nov last year. Made 4.3 for S3 unusable and Samsung draw back the update. Peoples were forced to do factory reset and goes back to 4.2.
Best thing is to wait and see if any problems reported by others. That I usually do and let others be "guineas pigs". :)
If no big problems reported and I will update, never hurry in new updates for me :)

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear, I guess. Does this mean we should be concerned about the update messing stuff up we already have on the tablet? What about our configured home screens? Will the update wipe those out and set it back to default? What about if we are using an alternate launcher?

It should not mess up anything. This is just like any other Android upgrade. I have never had an issue. Now if it includes the new Magazine UI...well not sure what changes that will result in.

- - - Updated - - -

At least we do not have a carrier as the middle man here. Should roll out much faster than for phones.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The issue from the video above, apparently, only hit certain units in Korean market, not US. Also, on that note, I know most of us are either in the US or end up buying US models even though we don't live there (like me! :p), but read carefully: This was released by Samsung AMERICA.

Yes, if it's coming for the US it's sure to be coming for the rest of the world as well (unless your carrier gets in the way, then you're screwed...), but the list and timeframes here are for AMERICAN models. That being said, the update for this tablet might hit US tablets and other countries', like the UK, Canada, or Korea, might not see it until a few months later. I'm just trying to keep you guys from going into the ER with a broken fingertip because you've been hitting the "Check for Updates" button for a whole week just because you read that US users were already getting their updates.

As for the setup, it shouldn't break anything, but this is Sammy we're talking about, so don't rule it out. In any case, if you're using a 3rd party launcher, you shouldn't have to worry as the update won't touch that setup. The problem, however, is knowing if the KitKat update doesn't break compatibility with the launcher you're using.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
The problem, however, is knowing if the KitKat update doesn't break compatibility with the launcher you're using.

KitKat has been out for a fairly long time now. There should be no issues with the launchers not being compatible. There has been plenty of time for them to work through any issues.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
KitKat has been out for a fairly long time now. There should be no issues with the launchers not being compatible. There has been plenty of time for them to work through any issues.
If only that were true. Sure, KitKat as an OS has been out for all to taste and test... But Samsung's got their own code baked in here, too. Say what you want, but Android fragmentation IS a thing, and it does break stuff. Chances are slim, granted, since it works in Jelly Bean and the changes to the code wouldn't be major, but there's a reason the original Note 3 KitKat update was stalled: It had bugs that broke compatibility, and it wasn't KitKat's fault. Same thing here, it MIGHT happen, it's just a (very) long shot.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
It should be noted that the way the external SD is accessed has changed dramatically in Kit Kat and may not be usable in the way you use it now. I'd wait before installing the 4.4 upgrade. See more information here.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It should be noted that the way the external SD is accessed has changed dramatically in Kit Kat and may not be usable in the way you use it now. I'd wait before installing the 4.4 upgrade. See more information here.

OK, I read this entire (disheartening) article first thing this morning thru blurred eyes and a foggy brain. So maybe that's why I found it somewhat confusing.
Bottom line...could KK mess with the ability to put .pyv files (Samsung movies) on my external SD card. We just uncovered that it can actually be done.
Is KK going to squash it? Sounds like Google wants to control EVERYthing. Surprise! I don't live in a "cloud" friendly area. I'm out in the boonies. Satellite is
my only internet option (other than dialup). 10GB data cap/month and download/upload speeds are embarrassing. One of my main reasons for choosing this
tablet was the SD card slot. And, I just bought a Sandisk Connect Wifi USB Flash Drive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAb10VK5yXo) to use with the GN and other wireless devices. Could KK possibly affect that as well?
Hummm, that was just supposed to be a link not an embedded video.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
OK, I read this entire (disheartening) article first thing this morning thru blurred eyes and a foggy brain. So maybe that's why I found it somewhat confusing.
Bottom line...could KK mess with the ability to put .pyv files (Samsung movies) on my external SD card. We just uncovered that it can actually be done.
Is KK going to squash it? Sounds like Google wants to control EVERYthing. Surprise! I don't live in a "cloud" friendly area. I'm out in the boonies. Satellite is
my only internet option (other than dialup). 10GB data cap/month and download/upload speeds are embarrassing. One of my main reasons for choosing this
tablet was the SD card slot. And, I just bought a Sandisk Connect Wifi USB Flash Drive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAb10VK5yXo) to use with the GN and other wireless devices. Could KK possibly affect that as well?
Hummm, that was just supposed to be a link not an embedded video.

I don't thinks what Google is doing here is draconian. I believe what they're doing is to try to make the data safer and protected. Keeping rogue apps from accessing data stored by other apps is a part of it. It's a difficult situation and certainly not what we've come to expect for external SD cards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx