1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 10.1 2014 edition email problem

I am having a problem setting up my two gmail accounts on my 2014 edition. I want to be able to access my mail from the desktop. The gmail app setup fine and accesses both my accounts, but I can't get it on the desktop. It only appears on the pullout side tab. It does not show up with my other apps. I can't drag it to the desktop from the sidebar.

The email app on the desktop will not accept my gmail accounts, it says "authentication failed" when I put in my username and password, the same ones that were accepted on the gmail app that I can't get to my desktop.

I wonder if it is because I have two step authentication enabled on gmail, they send a text to my phone every time I log on, be it on a PC or tablet or whatever. Other than that I am out of ideas

Default Re: Note 10.1 2014 edition email problem

That "side bar" is your multi view panel. to get the gmail app on your home screen, go to your app drawer, find it, long press on it and drag it to the home screen. it might be in your app drawer in a folder with other google apps. but you can drag them out of there
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Note 10.1 2014 edition email problem

That was my problem, the gmail app does not appear in my app drawer. The only place I can find it is in the multi view panel.

My original problem, however, is solved. I forgot that when you have two step authentication enabled on google, you need to go and generate
    an app specific password for each mobile device you have. I did that and the regular mail app configured beautifully. Still not sure about the missing gmail app in app drawer, but it doesn't really matter any more

Edit: thanks for the tip about the gmail app being inside anotherin the app drawer. I found it inside the google app. Although I no longer need it, it was still bugging me, so thanks again for the tip