1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why Samsung?

Im lookin for a new tablet.

Samsung 10"?

Asus?

nexus?

Thoughts???

Whats the best bang for the buck out there???

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Why Samsung?

Best bang for the buck is by far the Nexus 7. Depending on what you need the tablet for, that could be your best option

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I just using it for basic internet stuff. Nothing crazy...I had an ipad mini but now that Im on samsung note 3 right now...I really dig android!

I just cant see shelling out 500+ for a 10" sammy...

I noticed AT & T has a ASUS MeMO Pad™ FHD 10 for free...just need a 2 year contract at $10/month.

dunno how good those are compared to nexus or Samsungs or whatever...

Why Samsung? It is a 10" tablet with a great screen, SD card slot, and an up to date processor. In the Android world there is nothing comparable (not counting other Samsung Tablets). If Google had released the Nexus 10.2 when expected it would have been much more of a decision to make.

For me...it's not an Apple product. That's all the reason I needed, but also...the screen display/resolution, S-Pen, expandibility (SD card), processor/RAM, multi window and oh, did I mention the S-Pen?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ya. Very expensive.

Idk 500 is a lot for a tablet.

Thoughts on a Kindle??

Of course you can root it and load Android on it.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

If you want a Kindle, and root it, I don't see why you wouldn't just go for a Nexus tablet to begin with. It's not much more to get a Nexus 7 or 10 and you don't have to go through all the trouble.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Isn't the Kindle more powerful than the nexus?

Thought Google was supposed to come out with a new one.

Kindles are limited to what AMAZON wants you to have access to (Amazon store) ..... My wifes Kindle Fire HDX is so limited to what is available (not rooted) compared to my Note 10.1(not rooted) ... IF I had realized how limited it was I would have gotten wife anything Android besides a Kindle....

Kindle does not even access GOOGLE PLAY apps very well without a lot of sideloads.....If you want a book reader and nothing more its ok, but you still have to side load apps to read anything the is not native Kindle (Amazon), like Nook (Barnes & Noble) or generics e-books.....

Don't even think it has full GPS (may be wrong on this though - probably just assisted through cellular network)...

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redrover69 View Post
    Im lookin for a new tablet.

Samsung 10"?

Asus?

nexus?

Thoughts???

Whats the best bang for the buck out there???
    The only way anyone could answer this question would be to know how you intend to use the tablet. If all you want/need is a device for reading email or watching an occasional movie and YouTube videos then the answer would be quite different than say someone who wants/needs a tablet as a productivity device.

The advantage to a Samsung product for someone who also has a Samsung phone is that all your Samsung services are synced across all your devices. For instance, I own a Note 3, Note 10.1 2014, and Note Pro 12.2.

When I'm in a meeting at work I use my Note 10.1 to take notes. When I leave the meeting and go to lunch I can view those same notes, and make edits, with my Note 3. When I get home I can review all days worth of notes on my 12.2 before going to bed, and all my handwritten notes are stored and saved electronically via my Samsung account.

If I want to watch a movie I have the advantage of the beautiful large screen 12.2 at the house, and using the Samsung Watchon app I can control my blue ray player, a/v receiver, and smart tv.

So I would say, each of the tablets you mentioned are great devices, but to determine which is a greater value you first have to determine what you need the tablet for. For me, and the type of work I do, my first consideration is productivity. Therefore, the Samsung Note line of products is a must for me. But your needs may be different so another option would be best.
    Thanked by 3:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Great answer...

I have a note 3 so it would be nice to have it look and feel the same...

that said...

you can root the kindle and put android on it.

However the samsung has the s pen which is nice when I remember to use it

Ill have to read up on how to cross sync the devices if I get the samsung.

There is that much difference between the 12" and the 10"?
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redrover69 View Post
    There is that much difference between the 12" and the 10"?
    The 10.1 and 12.2 are practically identical spec wise, but their use cases are different in my opinion.

The 12.2 (the Note Pro series) is more of your work horse type tablet. It can do much of the heavy lifting a person would normally find on a laptop. Because of its sheer size I find that it's more of a stationary device. The 10.1 is the perfect size to grab and go into a quick meeting to take notes, or on vacation with the family. However, the 12.2 would be more the device to leave on your desk at your home or work office.

I would really encourage you to use the s-pen as much as you can. I have owned the Note series since the original Note back in 2011. I use the pen for everything. I just enjoy writing my notes, text messages, calendar appointments, sticky notes, and search requests, in my own handwriting as opposed to using the device keyboard. At this stage I really could not use another phone or tablet that did not have a stylus as its defining feature.

Cross syncing your content with Samsung devices is easy. You'll simply create a Samsung account and then all your content is linked through their own cloud based service. It's useful for s-notes, scrapbook, and to show some cool features to show off. But I also use Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive (formerly Skydrive) to sync a lot of my content.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks much for the help

I see that Samsung has the Pro series tablets out. A little more speed and a little faster specs. Im sure the 10.1 2014 is probably a better deal at this point...

The 2014 and the note pro series are almost identical, that's likely why there isn't a note 10.4 pro. USB 3.0 is the biggest difference I can think of. Others are small. Same processor, same screen resolution, same performance.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Gotcha...USB 3 is nice but I have a note 3 I hardly ever have it plugged in...

I was also reading you can use the new office suite on the 2014 10.1 version

One word dependability.
    In the past two years I have bought 5 galaxy tab 2 10.1 for myself my son, son in law and two sets of grand kids.
    Never any hardware issues.
    The grandkids beat the hell out of them.
    I use mine for work and home, plust it synchs flawlessly with my other devices.

Samsung makes nice hardware, but what they do to Android is execrable. So: Samsung hardware with CyanogenMod. That way you get an uncompromised Android experience on nice hardware.