Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
02-22-2014 08:33 PM
2 replies
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Scheme I'm using to help Device Manager locate/reset my Note while using PIN numbers

I'm thinking when using a PIN (or password), if someone gets a hold of a 2014 Note (lets assume he is a thief), it will be very difficult to use the Android Device Manager to remotely locate it and perform a factory data reset as he would need to select a wifi access point. If there is a PIN requirement to open the Note, I believe wifi will not pick just any open access point, I think one needs to be selected. If the thief can't get to select an access point, I believe the Device Manager will never see the Note, making it impossible to find it or perform a data reset.

What I did is create a new user with no PIN number. I'm hoping the thief will see that user and configure the Note to his access point. Then, I believe the Device Manager tracking might work.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Scheme I'm using to help Device Manager locate/reset my Note while using PIN numbers

Strange, I got an email saying:
    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    hmm so every time you put the tablet down, you intend to log out and then into the dummy user?

and don't see it on the forum, so, I'll answer that

No, I don't ever logout of the account with the PIN. I'm hoping if someone gets my machine, they can't logon with my long PIN, they notice the dummy user and try to logon to it. Since there is no password on that user, they should be able to configure their wifi access point so the Device Manager tracking will work. At least, that's my scheme.

Default Re: Scheme I'm using to help Device Manager locate/reset my Note while using PIN numbers

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain42 View Post
    Strange, I got an email saying:
    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    hmm so every time you put the tablet down, you intend to log out and then into the dummy user?

and don't see it on the forum, so, I'll answer that

No, I don't ever logout of the account with the PIN. I'm hoping if someone gets my machine, they can't logon with my long PIN, they notice the dummy user and try to logon to it. Since there is no password on that user, they should be able to configure their wifi access point so the Device Manager tracking will work. At least, that's my scheme.
    hehe that was me, in a temporary lapse of brain function. As soon as I posted it, I returned to normal brain function and realized the flaw in my thinking ;-), sorry to confuse ya