Slow Internet?

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been having a slow internet connection issue for a while now. I bought a new router but it is of no help. I will be contacting my internet provider but here is my question about the tablet.

In the same room only a foot apart from each other I am getting drastically different readings from a laptop and the tablet. Using speedtest.net I am getting the following:

Tablet
Ping 340 MS, download between 4-5 and upload almost 11.

Laptop
Pin 12 MS download 21 and upload 15

Why is the tablet so much slower?

I forgot to mention once in a while I do get speeds of about 20 on the download but not too often.

Last edited:

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just tried my wife's 2014 Note and she got the following. Ping of 77, download of 17 and upload of 14. Why is mine so slow? Is there a setting I need to fix?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What is the signal strength on it?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Full signal strength. I tried both in the same room and two rooms away. My wife's Tablet is pretty close to the speed of the laptop, but mine is testing very slow. Like I said once it a while it will test about 20 on the download. I don't know if its a setting issue or if I have a bad wifi on the tablet. I don't feel like calling Samsung from all I read about as they don't appear to know what they are doing and I would hate to send it in for repair unless I am 100% sure its a hardware issue rather then software.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
A few other posters on this forum had mentioned that their router ended up being the culprit... even if it plays nice with other devices. Before sending in your tablet for repair, buy another good router from somewhere you can easily return it and test it out.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I already did this. The speeds mentioned above are with the new router. I have to call my internet provider si center I have 50 download and 39 upload and I get this speed on my desktop, actually better, but on both routers I get the above speeds. Don't know why this is or why one tablet is better then the other.

Note I tried again this morning. My wife's tablet got about 39 on the download and 18 on the upload. Not as fast as it should be but decent. Mine I am still getting about 5 and 10 give or take.

Last edited:

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I already did this. The speeds mentioned above are with the new router. I have to call my internet provider si center I have 50 download and 39 upload and I get this speed on my desktop, actually better, but on both routers I get the above speeds. Don't know why this is or why one tablet is better then the other.

Note I tried again this morning. My wife's tablet got about 39 on the download and 18 on the upload. Not as fast as it should be but decent. Mine I am still getting about 5 and 10 give or take.

Definitely not normal... I have 30 down and 10 up on my desktop and on the tablet I get 26 down and 10 up... so almost the same. If you send it in for repairs, hang on to your S Pen. I wouldn't settle for slower speeds. If you use your tablet on a weak public WiFi network, your tablet would give you even slower speeds if there's a hardware issue. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Some devices do have lower quality WiFi radios too. Something else to consider.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am going to call Samsung and see what they say. I went to Best Buy and spoke to the Samsung rep and he said to call the warranty dept.

The strange thing is my wife's tablet sometimes gets up to 45 on the download but all last night and this morning she was as bad as mine, only about 5.

We both are running Dolphin with the Dolphin Jetpack using the desktop view, along with flash. I am testing on the site Speedtest.net, using the PC version since we are using the desktop view. The other thing is sometimes when I go to the site I have to refresh it several times as it stops at saying 100% downloading. I think this is a flash/dolphin issue. Anyone once download correctly it test fine. Is it possible its something in this setup rather then the WiFi hardware itself? Thanks.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Try different speed test sites, there is a few hundred sites... Google them... If you 10 tests done on ten different sites and they all agree then its a fact... Or throw top speed and bottom speed out and somewhere in center (6-8 good tests) there is your best indicators, if always using same site its just doing the same thing over and over "wishing" for different out come.... Also try sites that give different selections of test locations, all should be fairly equal....

Dale

nrthwds

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you send it to Samsung for repair? What was the out come?
I am having Disconnect problems with my internet ever since I got this tablet. My other tablets don't have this problem where my internet disconnects constantly while using the note 10.1 2014 (my note 8.0 ot s3 don't cause the internet to disconnect).
Wondering if you sent yours in and if Samsung fixed the problem.

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The issue was the Internet speed test I was using. I switched to an android base app and the speed test was a lot better. My speed still has some highs and lowes but I found that this only happens in my den even with a different router.