Galaxy Note 10.1: Hit some key and now I can't get my keyboard back

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Was in the browser now in all programs my default method of entry is finger painting or pen with no option for my keyboard to pop back up.... seriously samsung?
On the left hand bottom side of screen I can choose A or 1 which is basically two types of symbols. I just want the bloody alphabet@
So A for handwriting and 1 for numerals shift for symbols. Had to reboot to get ABC option back. Somehow I dont see a problem like this happening in surface pro 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell Estridge

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Hit some key and now I can't get my keyboard back

Push the settings button in the part where you'd have to use pen or fingerpaint. You may have to push and hold the button

Make sure to watch the sunset at least once a day B-)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hit some key and now I can't get my keyboard back

No need to be rude, guys! Yeah, this is an 'user input error', granted. But also, granted, Samsung has no easy help tips on this, either (although in their defense, it IS in the user manual if you go through it completely :p).

So, basically the stock Samsung keyboard will default to whatever it was that you used last. If you used full QWERTY keyboard and then go to another app, full QWERTY will pop up when you use it again. In your case, you switched to Pen input, so the next time you opened it, it stays in Pen input. By pressing and holding the settings button (if you're in handwriting mode it's actually the keyboard icon and you just need to press it once to go to full QWERTY) the option panel will let you select which mode to open in. Maybe a 'dumb' decision on their part for you? Perhaps. For me, I prefer it that way. HOWEVER, that's the beauty of Android. You don't like the way things work? Switch to another app. Most of us are quite happy with SwiftKey.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for the thread or a post, then just move on. Posting in a non-constructive manner or to complain about the OP is inappropriate. I suggest that those participating here acquaint themselves with the forum rules.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm a very competent user - and teach others ..... and I got legged up by this one!

The advice in the thread is helpful and solved the problem.... thanks!

You learn something new every day - and as we say in classes - 'It's not the hard stuff that stumps you - it's the easy stuff.'

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana