Which phone?

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am currently looking for a New phone to pair with my 10.1 .... I currently have a Galaxy S3 but its upgrade time .... Don't know if I Want to wait for the Note 4 or just get a Nexus 5. What do You guys think ?

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
If you're leaning towards the note line what's wrong with the note 3? The nexus 5 is a great phone but if the note 4 is on the table...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your needs. Both are great phones. I personally prefer the larger screen of the note 3

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and I can say it is, by far, the best phone I've ever had. I'm not a stylus person so that wasn't a factor. But the Note 3 is super fast. People complain about the crap that Samsung puts on a phone but the Note 3 is so fast you never know it. The screen is 1980p and, at 5.7", it's is simply magnificent.

The new Notes tend to come out around October. So, if you're going to wait you'll have to wait a half a year. I don't think it's worth that wait.

One caveat: The bootloader hasn't been unlocked for the Note 3 but there are workarounds for getting a ROM on the device. If that's important to you then I suggest you get the developer edition of the Note 3. I haven't had the urge to change the ROM as I have done with all previous phones.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I am currently looking for a New phone to pair with my 10.1 .... I currently have a Galaxy S3 but its upgrade time .... Don't know if I Want to wait for the Note 4 or just get a Nexus 5. What do You guys think ?

Someone has already said it, but the truth is it depends on your needs.

The Nexus 5 is a great phone if all you want is a smartphone. However, the Note 3, paired with your 10.1, offers functionality not available with the Nexus. How immersed are you into Samsung's ecosystem will also factor into which device you should get.

If you're not heavily immersed into their offerings like Samsung Link, Samsung Hub, Scrapbook, Story Album, Group Play, S-Note and others then your choice of smartphones is endless. However, if you are, then I'd recommend the Note series of devices.

I for one, depend heavily on S-Note and Scrapbook for business and personal use. I use my 10.1 to take notes at meetings. Using Samsung's cloud service those handwritten notes (which is how I prefer to take notes as opposed to typing) are instantly synced with the Note 3. If I'm at lunch or running errands I can review those notes, make handwritten edits, and know that any and all changes will be seen and realized back on the tablet. I use Scrapbook to save articles I'd like to read, or videos I'd like to see. Since the tablet and phone are synced up together it doesn't matter which device I save them to because the content is available on both.

Don't get me wrong, there are third party apps in the playstore that offer similar functionality and work very well. "Evernote" for note taking and "Pocket" for saving articles and videos work pretty much the same way, but for my purpose having it all with Samsung works best for me. Your needs may be different, but it all starts with knowing what you need in a phone, and how you intend to use it.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with the last two posters (DAS and TabGuy). The decision on which smartphone to purchase is ultimely yours. I went with the larger screen of the Note3 and also because I was already invested in Samsung apps from my past venture with the SG3.

aelaan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am sporting the Note3 since Tuesday because I dropped my S4 and I use the Samsung apps a lot (I have the 2014 note as well) I have used walking mate and sync stuff. I still have an older tab but it is collecting dust. It also depends on what you use it for... the N3 is my work phone and the note 2014 is a test device but it looks like we will actually start using it as well for work. The eco system is really wonderful. We are also testing with the nexus devices and the phones always have a newer operating system, I just got kitkat this week while those guys were poking fun of me. All in all android is just a very fun place to be at.

Al

Posted via Android Central App

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Note 3 ftw! If you use the spen, this a no brainer. However, even without it, the note 3 is the best. For one, it comes with 32gb. Also, it's large screen is great for reading Web pages, ebooks, and maps. And, it has a very fast processor.

Sync it with the 10.1 2014 and you can really stay up with your notes (no pun intended).

Posted via Android Central App

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Most likely I will go with the N3, mainly because of the S Pen.. I do use the Samsung "ecosystem" quite often and am also looking to pair with Galaxy Gear Watch as well .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech