"Pen only" function in S-Note also in PDF editor?

andre_xs

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Dear All,
I'm looking for a specific workflow but haven't been lucky so far. It's quite important to me - if I don't find a solution, I would sell the Note 10.1 again...

One big thinkg I'd like to do with the Note is to read scientific PDFs (e.g. Nature, Science,...) and highlight text in them. For a smooth procedure, I would like to have the following functionality:
- Highlight text with the pen (and pen only! Not with the fingers)
- Move, Zoom, etc with fingers (and not with pen)
Both functions should work at the same time without the need to switch anything.

This functionality is present e.g. in S-Note when you choose "Pen only" (I think that's how it is called). Then you can write on the screen only with the pen, while the fingers will zoom etc. No interference between these two functions. However, AFAIK S-Note cannot handle PDFs...

I there any PDF viewer/editor which has such a function? I've had a look at quite a few but found nothing...
Doesn't need to be a free app.

Many thanks in advance &
Kind Regards,
Andre

P.S. To make myself even clearer: In all PDF apps I tested so far the workflow is the following: (1) Use fingers to zoom, turn page, etc. (2) To highlight, go to menu, select highlighting pen, then select text. This often goes awkward if you place the balm of your hand too early on the screen because then everything between the hand and the pen is highlighted... Depending on the App, the highlighting mode stays on or it turns itself off after one highlighting procedure. (3) Turn highlighting off, (4) zoom, move page,... (5) turn highlighting on again... This is too tedious. I would like to use it as if you have a physical sheet of paper and a highlighter pen.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Andre.

A friend was going through a similar issue to yours, but with invoices on .pdfs.

Their crude/quick work-around was Spen/screen write, save, then use a pdf converter to convert back.

Some apps that may accomplish what you're after: ezPDF reader, Repligo Reader, qpdf notes, lecturenotes.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any, and was only guiding a friend to possible options.

Good luck!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I may not fully understand what you're looking for, so if this suggestion is off base I apologize.

Within the S-note app you'd simply import your desired .pdf. Within the app you'd be able to highlight text with the s-pen, sign and mark up the document, move and zoom in and out of the document with pinch and zoom, and then save and send the document to your desired location.

Is this not what you're wanting to do? I use this method all the time when I need to read, highlight, and sign business documents.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

andre_xs

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi DAS,
S-Note has *exactly* what I need, except for one major flaw which makes it unusable for me: It converts the PDFs from text-based to image-based. Thus, they (a) become much bigger and (b) are not text-searchable any more. (I presume that's why TheMacs suggested "converting back"). However, this would be too tedious, because I would need to do this too frequently.

LectureNotes has exactly the same problem...

ezPDF doesn't provide this functionality.

Didn't try RepliGo yet. Since there is no FreeTrial I wanted to wait for some feedback...

I will have a look at qpdf notes than.

Kind Regards,
Andre

libracq

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi DAS,
S-Note has *exactly* what I need, except for one major flaw which makes it unusable for me: It converts the PDFs from text-based to image-based. Thus, they (a) become much bigger and (b) are not text-searchable any more. (I presume that's why TheMacs suggested "converting back"). However, this would be too tedious, because I would need to do this too frequently.

LectureNotes has exactly the same problem...

ezPDF doesn't provide this functionality.

Didn't try RepliGo yet. Since there is no FreeTrial I wanted to wait for some feedback...

I will have a look at qpdf notes than.

Kind Regards,
Andre

Did you succeed in your research? I tried to find the same program and stoped on e-book reader. It can detect spen use automatically but 1) you have to turn of function each time after using it and 2) it stores marks not in the pdf file but somewhere.

shujah

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
i was looking for the same functionality. i found "Foxit Pdf Reader" and "Xodo Pdf Reader and Annotator" very close to this. just try this out

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34