Bluetooth Keyboard Disconnecting Issue (Has anyone found a solution yet?)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

So I got this keyboard (ZAGGkeys FLEX - Tablet Keyboard & Stand | ZAGG), and lo and behold, the dreaded Bluetooth Keyboard issue appears (it connects, but if you don't use the keyboard for more than 5 seconds, it disconnects, and then reconnects the moment you press a key, causing delays or missed keystrokes).

Has anyone found a solution yet? I'm not rooted, so the few apps I've seen that supposedly fix this issue have not been tried on my tablet. Also, I've heard the KitKat update (to those using custom ROMs) apparently does fix the issue, too. I've tried setting the Visibility Timeout to 'never' and re-booting without the SD card. Still have issues.

The keyboard works great on my Note 3, also running Android 4.3.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe this to be a universal issue. I've had this keyboard for over a month and it has not disconnected once. I use it a lot during the day. In fact, I haven't charged the keyboard yet.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know it's keyboard-dependent, but the fact that Android 4.2 and 4.2 'broke' Bluetooth keyboard compatibility doesn't help :p Hehe It SEEMS it's fixed on KitKat, but I don't know for sure. In any case, I was hoping someone with this particular tablet and this particular problem might have found a solution :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think I found the problem... but it's not an improvement. If I keep WiFi OFF, my BlueTooth keyboard will stay connected without issues. But, of course, I need WiFi to be ON at all times, but having WiFi ON causes the interference. Grrrr... Any ideas? I've read about changing your WiFi to 5GHz to minimize interference, but it seems my router doesn't support that (or I can't find the option to change it).

I've tried changing the router's channel and forcing the network to 'n' mode only, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesingly enough, the 'connect another BlueTooth device and keep it streaming' workaround, well, works... If I connect a speaker and keep it on, even if it's not playing music, the keyboard will stay connected. This is nut-drivng haha

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
How do we determine if its the tablet (bluetooth radio) or the keyboard (device) radio?... Do the devices have "settings"?... No absolutely nothing about technical side of blue tooth....

Dale

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think it's hard to diagnose, but since in this case the keyboard works with one device without issues and then just doesn't work properly with another, then the keyboard is not (entirely) to blame. SOME devices do have some settings you can tweak (even if you need to connect to USB port and have a PC software running) but in this case, there aren't many settings available other than changing the name of the device (and even that is done only on the phone you changed the setting; the general name is still hard-wired to the device).