Galaxy Note 10.1: Battery life way short of the suggested 9 hours

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery life way short of the suggested 9 hours

Just charge it and stop worrying about it.
I have both an Ipad 4 and my note. The Ipad yes does last a little longer but in everyday use I don't notice it because rather than worry whether the battery is going to run out of charge or not I charge it.
I never need 80% brightness unless outside in the sun, 20-30% is fine in most places and the screen brightness is the killer.

I have never let mine get below 20% it's called planning. If I go on a 10 hour flight then I expect it to run out so I take a book or watch the inflight entertainment or sleep.
Batteries discharge, get used to it.
Buy 2 tabs or a portable recharger, plan ahead.

I want 80% brightness because I want it and the iPad air I get 11-12 hours of screen time compared to 4 with the note 10.1 2014 edition.... $1000 dollars to get 8 hours of screen time is not even worth the money and a crazy suggestion.... I used both tablets in the same condition at 80% brightness, Web browsing, watching movies and 15 minutes of a game (total not at once) and as I said 11-12 hours of screen time with the iPad vs 4 on the note 10.1 2014 which is horrible. I shouldn't need to charge it more and Google needs to make Android use more battery management.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Umm... Just to point out GOOGLE/ANDROID probably has nothing to do with it, its how SAMSUNG has system configures....

I personally have never run out of battery time, but I shut down all unneeded functions (Wifi- GPS and other features) if they are not needed to conserves power....

I would also inquire as to if you can exchange it under warranty, it just may be you have bad battery pack... OT it was damaged by improper charging at some point...

Dale

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Umm... Just to point out GOOGLE/ANDROID probably has nothing to do with it, its how SAMSUNG has system configures....

I personally have never run out of battery time, but I shut down all unneeded functions (Wifi- GPS and other features) if they are not needed to conserves power....

I would also inquire as to if you can exchange it under warranty, it just may be you have bad battery pack... OT it was damaged by improper charging at some point...

Dale

Why should I turn it all off if under the SAME conditions my old iPad lasted at least double then the note 10.1 2014 edition.... I already got it exchanged once and it isn't the battery at fault.... Android itself needs better battery management it general as an os

Sent from my SM-N900T

tomlh

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Why should I turn it all off if under the SAME conditions my old iPad lasted at least double then the note 10.1 2014 edition.... I already got it exchanged once and it isn't the battery at fault.... Android itself needs better battery management it general as an os

Sent from my SM-N900T

Sounds to me like you had better just return it and go with the Ipad.

kodybrannon

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

Hmmm... I don't seem to be having that issue with my Note. I have currently gone 2 days and 16hrs on battery with 5hours of screen time. Given a lot of it is in standby since I use it sparingly while I am at work. But I have been playing clash of clans, simpsons tapped out, candy crush and reading writing emails in these two days... I love my note and glad I upgraded. If an Ipad fits better to what you need, then just go back to the ipad.

Tracie Lee

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Even when not watching any videos I only get 7 hours before I have to plug in. Very disappointing for all the money I spent. The ipad Air lasts at least 10 hours doing the same stuff.

Vim Midwest

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine can go eight hours before depleting the battery or it can last less than four. The two biggest culprits in my experience are the screen- which you won't budge on evidently, so there's not much to say about that- and the pen.

The Wacom screen seems to take quite a bit of power and nothing drains my battery faster than doing artwork. When I want the tablet to last on a long plane ride etc, I turn off pen input temporarily and only use touch. Seems to help a lot at least in my case.

Other than that there's a lot of tweaks you can do, turning off stuff like GPS (huge drain), eye tracking, animation, feedback, bluetooth etc. unless needed. I'm not going to presume to tell you what you can or can't live without but the many bells and whistles do chew through battery life, and doing without does make a difference.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine can go eight hours before depleting a battery or it can last less than four. The two biggest culprits in my experience are the screen- which you won't budge on evidently, so there's not much to say about that- and the pen.

The Wacom screen seems to take quite a bit of power and nothing drains my battery faster than doing artwork. When I want the tablet to last on a long plane ride etc, I turn off pen input temporarily and only use touch. Seems to help a lot at least in my case.

Other than that there's a lot of tweaks you can do, turning off stuff like GPS (huge drain), eye tracking, animation, feedback, bluetooth etc. unless needed. I'm not going to presume to tell you what you can or can't live without but the many bells and whistles do chew through battery life, and doing without does make a difference.

My opinion is why should I budge? I was basing this on similar conditions and the iPad lasted longer. It isn't a deal breaker and can live with it but they should of added a bigger battery

Sent from my SM-N900T

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I get your point, the battery is less than advertised and inferior to the iPad. Chevy also states my truck should get way better gas mileage than I get in the real world.
There have been several good suggestions on how to improve battery life on your N10.1. Try them out you might be surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
All the comparison tests of tablets show the iPad Air as having the best battery life. There should not be a surprise that the Air performed better than the Note from that perspective.

Unless you are outside I can't imagine using this tablet at 80% brightness. My brightness is turned way down and there are times I wish it would go even darker. I understand your point about using the tablet the way you want to use it. However you just need to realize as in life there are compromises.

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking the same thing, 80% screen brightness? Holy crap I couldn't handle that. Its a very bright screen as it is, I tend to not go higher than 40 and even then that's only in very lit rooms.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
All the comparison tests of tablets show the iPad Air as having the best battery life. There should not be a surprise that the Air performed better than the Note from that perspective.

Unless you are outside I can't imagine using this tablet at 80% brightness. My brightness is turned way down and there are times I wish it would go even darker. I understand your point about using the tablet the way you want to use it. However you just need to realize as in life there are compromises.

I just like it like that ... sue me :)

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Geez, stop comparing with ipad Air and if want better battery life. Then go with Ipad Air!

Ipad Air:
9,7"
8820mah
Dual Core 1,4 Ghz
2048 x 1536
WiFi N

Note 2014:
10,1"
8220mah
2560 x 1600
Quad 2,3 Ghz
WiFi AC

Oki, now the question is, which one of these 2 will draw more power while using it and have worser battery life? :'(
Turn ON power saving mode if want longer battery life. Browsing, watching video etc dont need full speed!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Geez, stop comparing with ipad Air and if want better battery life. Then go with Ipad Air!

Ipad Air:
9,7"
8820mah
Dual Core 1,4 Ghz
2048 x 1536
WiFi N

Note 2014:
10,1"
8220mah
2560 x 1600
Quad 2,3 Ghz
WiFi AC

Oki, now the question is, which one of these 2 will draw more power while using it and have worser battery life? :'(
Turn ON power saving mode if want longer battery life. Browsing, watching video etc dont need full speed!

In general the specs aren't That much better.... besides the CPU/GPU. 11-13 hours of screen time is a big difference between 3-5 Hours of screen time under the same conditions and the general differences between The note 10.1 and the ipad air isn't the reason for the big difference of battery life. Android itself is the issue and a sacrifice I will live with ( still gives me the right to complain about it). My note 3 gets about 5-6 hours of screen time which you would expect the tablet to get more then that and not less...

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Sounds to me like you had better just return it and go with the Ipad.

Completely agree.

Sent from my SM-N900T

You just seem like someone who is mainly an apple fan and are just coming on here to bash and say that apple is better. That's not needed. Hop on over to imore. They'll enjoy talking to you about your iPad :)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Completely agree.

You just seem like someone who is mainly an apple fan and are just coming on here to bash and say that apple is better. That's not needed. Hop on over to imore. They'll enjoy talking to you about your iPad :)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Want me to take pics of my invisible apple products? I don't have any. Got rid of my 3 mouth old iPad because we'll I didn't like it as much as Android (last iPhone was the iPhone 4) the only thing I liked about the iPad was the battery life.

For $549 I paid for this I expect better battery life.... Hopefully 4.4.2 helps

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
In general the specs aren't That much better.... besides the CPU/GPU. 11-13 hours of screen time is a big difference between 3-5 Hours of screen time under the same conditions and the general differences between The note 10.1 and the ipad air isn't the reason for the big difference of battery life. Android itself is the issue and a sacrifice I will live with ( still gives me the right to complain about it). My note 3 gets about 5-6 hours of screen time which you would expect the tablet to get more then that and not less...

U dont even understand why i posted the specs. Show me a screenshot that Ipad Air have 11-13 H on screen time!
AzxbHh6.jpg

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Another whiner thread. The product is what it is, complaining about it doesn't change that.