SD Storage Question with KK

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I know there is an uproar about how Google configured apps storing files on the external card. I have created folders on my ext SD card and moved Samsung Hub movies there. Will this be affected/not allowed by KK?
Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want to move the movies using your phone (with a 3rd party app), then yes, it is affected. If you do that in a computer and then just read the movies in your phone, then they won't be affected. HOWEVER, the app you'll be using to watch the movies needs to be able to read from the SD card.

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use an app to move my movies to the ext SD card. I just use menu commands to make a folder and move the movie to the folder. I use the default video player and MX Player. Sounds like I'm good :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then yes, you're good to go. KitKat affected write access for non-system apps, but read privileges are still intact, so if you created the folder in your computer and moved files in there, you can watch them in your phone with the appropriate app without issues. If you, however, want to copy a movie from one place to another (using an app in your phone, like a File explorer) then that's where you might encounter issues. Basically, if the app didn't create the folder, it doesn't have write access to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol