Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default KitKat and SD card

Could have sworn someone posted this already but can't find it. Since the upgrade to kitkat I can't copy or move files from my tab to my sd card. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: KitKat and SD card

That's a "feature" introduced in KitKat by Google. There's at least one file manager available from the Play Store that I believe can put files on the SD Card under KitKat; I think it's the ES File Explorer File Manager - make sure to get the latest version.
    Striker101960 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker101960 View Post
    Could have sworn someone posted this already but can't find it. Since the upgrade to kitkat I can't copy or move files from my tab to my sd card. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    There is loads on the internet, suggest you Google it.
    Basically AIUI apps no longer have the ability to write to directories on the Sdcard unless that directory was created by the App itself.
    2 ways around. One is to root the other to wait until the app designer fixes their app. Some have already.

Just confirmed ES File Explorer does allow you to move files. I just moved files downloaded from Amazon Music

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Striker101960 likes this.

I can't get ES to copy files to my SD card. Pretty sure I'm running the latest version as I let it auto update. Is there a setting I need to enable to do it? Also uTorrent can't download directly to the SD card either. Might have to seriously look at rooting this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass12 View Post
    Just confirmed ES File Explorer does allow you to move files. I just moved files downloaded from Amazon Music

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Are you rooted? Or does ES File Explorer 'just works'? I know there's a workaround (that's certain to get patched up by Google on the next update) but I'm not sure if ES implemented it for non-rooted devices. I haven't really tried to move anything from the SD Card since the update yet hehe

Some developers have updated their apps to get over this sd card issue. "Maps with me" for instance.
    As I understand it the developer simply has to place a directory on the sd card that it wants to store info in.
    ES seems to work for some apps but not all.

That's why I asked about ES File Explorer, because with KitKat you only get write access to folders the app itself created. If you wanted to move things around (like copying a movie from one folder to another, for instance) then that's where you'd encounter issues. Again, I know there's a way to 'bypass' this on non-rooted devices, but it's not ideal and it's sure to be patched up in the next update.

Do you have latest copy of ES??..... There was a update a day or so ago....

Dale
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I have the latest update to both ES File Manager and Astro neither will copy or move files from tab to sd card

Quote Originally Posted by Striker101960 View Post
    I have the latest update to both ES File Manager and Astro neither will copy or move files from tab to sd card
    Use My Files and u can move any files from internal storage to external storage.

ES File Explorer will not copy to the SD Card anymore for me, either. The built-in Samsung app My Files is the only one I've gotten to accomplish this. Sucks...

It could not be as simple as opening multi-window and opening "main storage" in one window and opening "SD" card in second window and do a drag and drop?...

Just a thought.... Because I do not have a SD card to test concept...

Dale
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Itstakenovermylife View Post
    ES File Explorer will not copy to the SD Card anymore for me, either. The built-in Samsung app My Files is the only one I've gotten to accomplish this. Sucks...
    Cool it worked thanks

Apparently this is a kit kat 4.4.3 update going to rolled out to a lot of devices soon and maybe there is a fix in this version.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM7(Nook)

Does anyone know if the Kindle, Nook and Zinio apps are fixed? I read a lot of books and magazines and until Kit Kat those apps were able to be moved to the SD card, which was quite helpful.

Hi all, this is the first time I am experiencing a stupid problem created by Android Developers that I can't copy my data from my PC/mobileMemory to my SD Card. I don't know the reason why they have done such a stupid thing with kitkat. I had many software configured in my Note2 which were working, but they all have messed up because of this. I have tried all the good file explorers/managers but none of them is working except the most stupid explorer/manager provided by android itself.

The only reason I HATE APPLE products because they create dependencies for the users, and now Android has started doing the same thing that they forcefully want people to use their **** built-in apps.

If you are rooted you can install next app sd from the play store and all off the kitkat sd limitations will be gone.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mkhan01 View Post
    Hi all, this is the first time I am experiencing a stupid problem created by Android Developers that I can't copy my data from my PC/mobileMemory to my SD Card. I don't know the reason why they have done such a stupid thing with kitkat. I had many software configured in my Note2 which were working, but they all have messed up because of this. I have tried all the good file explorers/managers but none of them is working except the most stupid explorer/manager provided by android itself.

The only reason I HATE APPLE products because they create dependencies for the users, and now Android has started doing the same thing that they forcefully want people to use their **** built-in apps.
    On my S4 and my Note 10.1, 2014, I will stay put with 4.3. I will keep away from Kit Kat until the whole thing becomes more user friendly. I concur with the above, I have left Apple because of that controlling BS and I don't want to experience that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluering48 View Post
    On my S4 and my Note 10.1, 2014, I will stay put with 4.3. I will keep away from Kit Kat until the whole thing becomes more user friendly. I concur with the above, I have left Apple because of that controlling BS and I don't want to experience that again.
    Absolute controlling BS. We are told it is a security feature. Unfortunately it is a poorly thought out security feature. Instead apps should be classified e.g.
    1. isolated apps should be banking apps with absolutely no access allowed to their folders.
    2. File manager apps allowed write privilege and access to all folders except isolated apps. Installation of file manager classed apps come with a user warning and hence choice.

Not rocket science. It just requires a little more thought at design time.

cjelliott