tablet heating upper right area after kit kat update

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Some apps will react differently to different versions of the OS. So, even though the only thing that changed was the OS, some apps may be behaving very differently. In fact, some apps no longer work at all under KitKat.

The solution is simple, but arduous. Do a factory reset. Install no apps. Is battery time ok? If so, then it's not the OS. Install a new app. Is battery ok? If so, repeat until the bad app. I did this once on an earlier version of Android and found that Shazaam was a battery hog. Surprised me.

Battery time is not the problem, at least in my case, it greatly improved after the update (although, like you say, if CPU load was lightened, it would be even better!). And like geoff said, when I updated I did so with a clean install, so I know that only stock apps are still causing the tablet to get warmer than before the update. So, the update made something change. But since I got better battery life, I'm willing to live with that.

PS: If an app 'misbehaves' with an OS update, it's not the app's fault entirely, it's still the update. Yes, the app needs to be updated, but only so because something changed in the OS and the way things were being done before.

sir_miggy

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Geoffwhite, thanks for sharing that photo. Now I know that the area heating up is the processor. I think I will do a factory reset and go back to jelly bean. I have never encountered a tablet that gets this warm, it should not get this warm/hot, I don't want damage any hardware in this device....but then again it is under warranty ;)
Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Geoffwhite, thanks for sharing that photo. Now I know that the area heating up is the processor. I think I will do a factory reset and go back to jelly bean. I have never encountered a tablet that gets this warm, it should not get this warm/hot, I don't want damage any hardware in this device....but then again it is under warranty ;)
Thanks
I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, doing a factory reset WILL NOT remove the KitKat update. Again, I might be wrong, but I don't know why that sounds like something I've read before.

Am I the only one experiencing up to twice the battery time with KitKat? Mine gets warm but not hot hot hot, at least not for me to worry about hardware damage, maybe yours gets hotter. Anyway, since I'm getting much better performance than before, I'm more than willing to live with a warm tablet (but again, that's because mine gets warm, not hot).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Some apps will react differently to different versions of the OS. So, even though the only thing that changed was the OS, some apps may be behaving very differently. In fact, some apps no longer work at all under KitKat.

The solution is simple, but arduous. Do a factory reset. Install no apps. Is battery time ok? If so, then it's not the OS. Install a new app. Is battery ok? If so, repeat until the bad app. I did this once on an earlier version of Android and found that Shazaam was a battery hog. Surprised me.

There's a more simple way to do this: Safe Mode. Yup. It's not only a Windows thing. The problem is, just like with Recovery Mode, manufacturers have different ways to access this mode on each device, and unfortunately I can't recall how to access it on this tablet. But essentially what it does is booting up with system-apps only. Anything you downloaded becomes inactive unless you specifically spawn an app. This is even useful if you want to test an app individually.

sir_miggy

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, I did a factory reset and kit kat was installed automatically. I guess you can call it a refresh kit kat install? different from an upgrade. Before doing so I removed my SD card. The tablet does not get as hot as it used to! An improvement? I reinstalled TuneIn, streamed some music for a few minutes, it still was slightly warm, did not get any hotter. Then I started to surf the web with music. and the same, no change in temperature. I will still continue to play with it and add the SD card. It still bothers me that it gets...a little warm. All this time the tablet was cool while playing videos, multitasking...

As for battery life, I place the tablet on idle, turned off the lcd. before going to sleep 96% charge. 6 hours later, woke up this morning to find out that the tablet had a 86% charge!? I dont think this is an improvement in battery life.

I still want to downgrade to Jelly Bean, does any one know how to do it?

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So I've been watching the applications to see which one is using up cpu time and the only one I can find is Google Chrome. Everything else seems to be working fine. That word make sense since it gets the hottest when I'm on the web. I don't think chrome has been updated since kitkat so maybe that's the culprit?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd... the battery life on idle is what I was experiencing on JellyBean. After the KK update, if I leave the tablet alone, it will drop 2 or 3% every 10 hours. No drop at all if I turn off all radios.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to believe that changes were made to the kernal software to increase battery life on standby and increase performance while in use. I wish I could record what the cpu was doing. What really bothers me is I don't see any temprature sensors in the cpu to warn of an overheat condition. My Lenovo yoga monitors the cpu temp and throttles the cpu back if it gets critically hot. I don't see that on this tablet. I wouldn't be worried about it if it didn't get so warm.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried turning Power Save mode on? It's supposed to scale back the CPU when needed, maybe that'll help? I haven't tried it myself, though. And I'm not sure if there's a temp sensor for in-use regulation (there should be, maybe the info is just not accessible to non-system apps?), but I know there's a 'kill switch'. If the CPU gets too hot, the tablet shuts down automatically. I hope yours doesn't get to that point.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So I started playing a game called csr racing and have noticed that the heat moved more to the center closer to the camera. I'm guessing the processor next to the cpu, and right above the flat ribbon cable must be the graphics processor. It handles the game without a hitch, but does produce massive amounts of heat from the gpu.
I understand why Samsung uses plastic on the back but I wonder if the life of the processors is affected by the heat. A nice big aluminum back for a heat sink would be nice.

I'm still getting random crashes and reboots since the update to kk.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So I have an interesting development. I decided to switch to nova launcher just to see what would happen and my overheating issues disappeared. It still gets warm, but definitely not any where near as hot as it does with touch wizz running.

scarmona

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
@geoffwhite18 your heating issues are most likely due to the Index Services process and S-Finder app trying to index your sd card (I'm assuming you're using a microSD card, but the issue may happen on the device storage as well) it's been widely reported that with the Kit Kat update apparently this process gets "stuck" trying to index pdf files and causes the processor to overheat. Try (again, assuming you're rooted) greenifying or freezing with TB these and check your results, worked for me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674