Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default KitKat Update: Likes and Dislikes

Hello guys,

Well, I've been using the tablet with the new KitKat update for a couple of weeks now and here are my impressions:
    PROS
    Improved Battery Life Before the update, my tablet would have abysmal battery life on Standby (around 10% loss per 12 hours). Now, I get around 2 or 3 percent if the tablet is just lying there doing nothing. And if I turn WiFi off, the loss is nearly negligible. Still not perfect, but better. And during regular use, I'm getting better screen-on time now.
    Snappier It definitely feels like a speedier tablet. Gone is the tortuous delay when trying to wake the screen up from standby and even TouchWiz feels faster (but I'm still sticking to Nova, though). Opening apps and doing stuff just feels like a snap. Probably an improvement on how the multilayered processor now works using all cores, don't really know.
    Faster reboot Probably not something that will make you drool, but the tablet restarts in less time now. Also, you can start using it in less time than before when powering it up. And, of course, I've mentioned the faster response to waking up.
    Icons and Look I know, it feels like it's iOSed now, but I just like the new icons hehe.
    UPDATE: Multitouch bugs fixed I can't believe I overlooked this one when writing this! The KitKat update fixed the multitouch bug that was ailing most of our units (sure, some weren't affected, but most were). If you don't know what it is and you don't have the KitKat update yet, try this: Open a long webpage you can scroll up and down from, zoom in as far as you can so that the text is very large (it's where it's most noticeable), now press-and-hold your finger to scroll the page, now stop scrolling but don't lift your finger... See? It should have stopped scrolling but now the screen is 'flickering' with the text jumping up and down incessantly. The bug was also apparent when trying to move icons around the homescreen; they would just bounce up and down your finger while holding them :P

CONS
    Notification Panel While I've said I liked the new look, I don't like the smaller notification panel. It just feels incomplete, and one of the things I complained about when I had an iPad. And now it's in my Android tablet. Sad, sad, sad.
    SD Card Management It's a KitKat thing, but it's still bugging me. Gone is full write access to non-system apps. Read all about it on AC's article, it really does clear things up.
    BT Keyboard support Remember how annoying it was that you had to switch to Samsung Keyboard to use an external one? Well, it's not fixed. Some tablets (mine affected) also have disconnecting issues with BT Keybaords. The bug is NOT fixed. Still getting disconnections if BT and WiFi are active at the same time. Probably a hardware issue, but it's still there.
    New Location Settings That 'GPS' toggle in the notification bar? Well, it doesn't work the same way now. Now, instead of turning GPS on and off, it turns ALL location settings on and off. You have to go into said settings to select no location services, only wifi, only gps, or both. For some it provides more control, but for me, it's annoying having to go through extra steps to turn GPS on and off.
    Slight Overheating Especially when using the S-Pen, the right-hand side of the tablet gets warm. And I've run into a couple of hiccups when using the S-Pen, too, mostly when using SNote.
    Missing Album Art on Lockscreen I hadn't noticed this, but the Now Playing music widget in the e lockscreen won't display album art... Aaaarrrggghhh
    UPDATE: DayNote Screwed up Date This was already present in the last version (at least for me), and after the update, nothing changed: Daynote screws up the date in the afternoon. I haven't really tested exactly WHEN it goes awry, but in the morning the calendar shows up my day's appointments just fine, but then in the afternoon, it seems to think it's already the next day. My guess is that I'm on CST (-6 hours) and the Daynote app takes it's date as if it were on GMT (0 hours), so would skip the date around 6pm? Maybe, I don't know... the thing is that since I can't rely on it, Daynote is off in my tablet because of this.

Well, there you go. Anything you've seen that I missed? Anything I should try and include?
    Last edited by SpookDroid; 05-14-2014 at 02:12 AM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: KitKat Update: Likes and Dislikes

Awesome Spook, thanks for sharing your findings. I agree with you on the smaller notification panel. I am also experiencing the overheating issue when I am using the default browser and streaming music.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, I've seen a few posts saying the same thing... They've all experienced it after the update, and since the tablet feels snappier, I can't help but to wonder if they changed something in the way the system handles CPU cores now. In any case, the improvements I've seen in battery life and overall performance, IMHO, outweigh a little warmth in the corner :P

Just curious... When it gets warm, are you using a smart cover?

I wonder why Samsung took so long to bring out an update (not here yet) and still don't seem to have got it right.
    If it aint broke etc
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I think that's why it's taking so long... They release the update to a certain region, wait for feedback, and if anything needs fixing, they get on it before releasing it to another region. Again, this is only speculation. Some things are really hard to test and will depend heavily on each user, but some others are just plain dumb to find haha But again, the 'warming up' thing, it may not even be a 'bug'. I mean, if the update improved core-handling and is using it more intensively now, it's only logical it would warm up. As long as it doesn't cut a hole through your hand like butter, I don't even notice it.

Hi Spook , yes I have a smart cover, moko slim folding cover. I would not mind a slight warming but, this a 6 from a scale of 1 to 10, and stays this way when I surf the Web, as I am typing now. Also when I am just using TuneIn radio app. When I turn off the WiFi it goes back to normal. I have never experienced this since I got the tablet in November.

I am going to take off the cover an see if maybe that is the issue. Will post my findings.
    Thanks Mig

With new notification screen, if you tap the multi-square block in top right corner you get all the widgets (icons-whatknots)... What's the big deal....

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Ever since I updated my note 2014 to kit kat, I no longer have album art on the lockscreen while playing music. Also, the Here and Now section of My Magazine doesn't update as it did before the update.
    Anyone else experiencing these issues?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I hadn't noticed the album art thing... 😠

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
    With new notification screen, if you tap the multi-square block in top right corner you get all the widgets (icons-whatknots)... What's the big deal....

Dale
    That's always been there, hasn't it? Even in Jelly Bean

Spook
    It still gets warm without the cover.

Mark
    I just noticed that too...I am one step closer to resetting my tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    That's always been there, hasn't it? Even in Jelly Bean

Dont know, was never much of interest to me once I have things set, I hardly ever access it maybe to turn off/on wifi or gps... Which both pop up in basic minimal screen...

As long as it "functions" don't really care about "form"... Its just a tool....

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    SpookDroid likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by sir_miggy View Post
    Spook
    It still gets warm without the cover.

Mark
    I just noticed that too...I am one step closer to resetting my tablet.
    Factory reset wouldn't undo the update to KitKat, I'm afraid... And doing a clean install doesn't help either. I updated after resetting mine and I'm also missing the album art.

My streak of luck with the 10.1 seems to have ended with the kit kat update. I never had any lag issues, had great battery life, and was absolutely in love with mine from day one when I got it in Oct 2013. I switched to nova launcher prime, not for speed (again it was already lightning) but for customizability. Unfortunately I seem to be having issues now after the update and even after a factory reset. Other than the look and feel and issues with the new format itself, my battery life is down, I get some lag and unresponsiveness, most times when i select something from the drop down status panel it clears it from the list and doesnt take me anywhere. My start up time is slower and my minimal widgets take a long time to load on my panels whereas before they were there as the screen appeared.

It's so crazy how people with the same device can have opposite experiences throughout the whole evolution of the device. Keeping my fingers crossed. And I'm still in love with it just frustrated. If there was a way to go back I'd stick with pre-kit kat til the end of time.

Also, finally upgrading my cell phone and getting a Note 3... super excited to see how it works, can't believe it ALSO makes phone calls haha. I'm going to have to start lifting at the gym and buying shorts with giant pockets though!
    SpookDroid likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

So sad to hear about your bad experience, like you say, it's funny how the same device can behave so different. The only way I know of downgrading is rooting and installing the older OS ROM. If I recall correctly, there's a tutorial on how to get this done in Android Central; it's not specific to the Note 10.1 2014 but it should give you an idea.

Thanks! I will probably have to soon there's just some things that are really getting to me. Is anyone else unable to set default keyboard? I had mine set to full landscape keyboard and now it either pops up in partial qwerty or yellow handwriting and that is always unusable now-it's missing the top border and won't take input just blocks half the screen, very weird. Also Mozilla has always been my go to but now it's freezing 80% of the time. Maybe since I'm the only Note 10.1 on this island and probably within 1000 miles I got a screwy Caribbean update.

Can someone post a screenshot of the landscape notification that's causing discontent. Funny thing for me is I hated the whole screen drop down ;-)

Posted via Android Central App
    Save a kitten, use an Android
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Here you go 😊

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KitKat Update: Likes and Dislikes-1399930759692.jpg  

It is huge. Though for my old eyes...

Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Re-Updated with a few more items

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

Might be a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask... I have a NON-ROOTED Note 10.1 2014 edition Tab and I "was" very happy with it UNTIL the update to KitKat... much like others, had I known that they were going to block the SD card I wouldn't have updated... So today I decided to ROOT the tablet in an effort to see if such applications like Dropbox Sync, etc, would write to it... and the APP still can't write to the SD card...!! I can Sync the files locally and then move them to the SD card, but thats a PITA...!!

So my question is... now that I"m rooted on the tab, is there anyway to UNBLOCK the write access... or even flash the OS back to 4.3 and block future updates...??

Thoughts... ??

There are many ways to fix SD issue. Easiest one: search for SDFix in market, install, push a button, enjoy.
    SpookDroid likes this.

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

Yup.. That worked... Thank you..!!

Only if rooted, you did not mention that.

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Oh so it was a multitouch bug, all along i thought it was a nova thing ahaha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast