Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Champion
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropbox documents stay on tablet?

I use Dropbox a lot for my business - all of my business files are there. And, I use my tablet for business.

I noticed that when an app tried to update, I would get a message that there was not enough room. I have 16 GB of memory. I couldn't quite figure out what was taking up all of the space. Then, I found the documents folder. ALL of my DROPBOX files were in the documents - stored on my tablet. No wonder there wasn't enough room to update an app.

Is this normal for this to happen? Is there a way that I can make this not happen?

Thanks, Maggie

Default Re: Dropbox documents stay on tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Champion View Post
    I use Dropbox a lot for my business - all of my business files are there. And, I use my tablet for business.

I noticed that when an app tried to update, I would get a message that there was not enough room. I have 16 GB of memory. I couldn't quite figure out what was taking up all of the space. Then, I found the documents folder. ALL of my DROPBOX files were in the documents - stored on my tablet. No wonder there wasn't enough room to update an app.

Is this normal for this to happen? Is there a way that I can make this not happen?

Thanks, Maggie
    Hello , your memory is 16gb, but internal system memory where android os is installed is 2GB ,so move app to sdcard. or delete some app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Maybe that is the problem. I have not downloaded the app. I have been using the Widget to access my Dropbox folder.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I am going to post another response in 2 minutes. I found something else on the tablet that I need to tell you.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

If I look under General in the Application Manager, under All I find Dropbox. It does not allow me to Move to SD card - this box is grayed-out. If I go to SD Card under General, then Dropbox is not listed.

Is there a way to move it to the SD card? Thanks.

If you recieve error when u try to update application from playstore then u dont have enough internal memory , but dropbox documents are uploaded to server. why you store in tablet. ? free up space move upload to dropbox documents. im not sure if i understand well your question

You can't move system application, your dropbox come with android installed .move app that you have downloaded. some big application. Application Manager/Download. if you look down how much space free u have.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Okay. I will attempt to explain better.

I have been trying to upload updates to the apps I have on the tablet. I have moved the majority of the apps to the SD card.

When I have been trying to update the apps, I get a message that there is not enough room to store the update on the tablet. According to my Settings tab, under the General - Storage tab, The Total Space of the tablet is 16GB. The Cached data is what is making it not possible to update the apps as there is too much used in this part.

When I look at what is in the Cached Data, it contains all of my Dropbox files. Why are they there?

If I look at Application Manager - SD Card, Dropbox is not listed. If I look at Downloaded, Dropbox is not listed. However, if I look at Application Manager - ALL, Dropbox is listed. Dropbox is taking up much space. If I look at the Dropbox info, shown is that Total Storage is 11.32 MB, and that the SD card app is 0B. Also, the Data is 8.96 MB, and the SD card data is 16KB. There is a box that says, "Move to SD Card." However, it is gray and I cannot click on it - it does nothing if I attempt to move Dropbox to the SD card.
    The only boxes on the Dropbox "page" are "Force Stop", "Turn Off", "Clear Data", and "Clear Cache". There is no way to move Dropbox to the SD card.

I hope this helps to explain better of what is going on with my tablet.

Maybe that is the problem. I have not downloaded the app. I have been using the Widget to access my Dropbox folder.
    No widget canot installed if dropbox is not installed wigdet is part of dropbox. i understand try to redownload from playstore dropbox
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Okay. I will see if there is anything else that I downloaded that I can move to SD card.

Okay. I will see if there is anything else that I downloaded that I can move to SD card.
    There is just cached file .you can safe clear Cached Data, and free up space. , Yes because dropbox come installed with tabled. and is system application.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I checked, and I had already moved everything that is allowed to move to SD card. Many of the Samsung programs and Google apps it will not let me move.

Yes you can move only downloaded applications.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Okay. I decided to clear the cached data. I went to Storage - Cached data. I tapped on it, and I got message "This will clear cached data for all apps." When I tap on OK, I get message "Security policy restricts clearing of this apps cache."
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well, it did clear at least some of the Cached data. It is down to 344KB. So, that should help.

I just don't understand why it put all of my Dropbox files on the tablet. Maybe this is one of the odd things about the tablet.

Thank you for your help today.

Well, it did clear at least some of the Cached data. It is down to 344KB. So, that should help.

I just don't understand why it put all of my Dropbox files on the tablet. Maybe this is one of the odd things about the tablet.

Thank you for your help today.
    All of your documents that were uploaded to Dropbox exist on their servers and are accessible from any computer. If you download copies of those documents to your tablet then they are stored locally... if you don't need to keep copies of the documents on your tablet then you can delete both the data and the cache via the Application Manager on your tablet. Just don't delete them from within the Dropbox app as that will delete them permanently. I hope I understood the situation and maybe someone else can chime in.

Just delete cached data,manually from application manager.every app have cached data. like junk files. u can use clean master from play store. . i dont have idea why it pull all of your data on tablet maybe u have sync it. also contact dropbox for more. help. or wait for someone to answer better. have a nice day. ur welcome
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thank you to everyone for the help! I was able to restore the Dropbox files I had deleted, and also my cache. The tablet is working better now.
    charles777 likes this.