Soft Reset KitKat

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
My updates through the Play store for apps often crashes in the middle of a app update, if there are 10 it may crash three times back to the home screen, I can finish but I have to keep going back to the play update apps.

I can seem to find on Google how to get to the soft reset screen after a power down to clear the system cache, cache cleaners have not helped much. First happened after the Kitkat update.

Any links or instruction on how to wipe the system cache, I know it used to be something like power on while holding a vloume button and home.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Think I finally found it, will try tonight.

Wipe cache partition

If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

Press and hold the Power/Lock key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off the tablet.
Press and hold the Power/Lock key and Up Volume key at the same time.
Release the Power/lock key when the Samsung logo appears.
Release the Up Volume keys when the Android image appears.
When the menu appears, press the Down Volume key to select Wipe cache partition.
Press the Power/Lock key.
Once the message, “Cache wipe complete” appears on the screen below the menu, Press the Power/Lock key to select Reboot system now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried it with the tablet, but Sammy devices usually boot into Recovery Mode (where you can clear cache and data) by pressing and holding the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons while powering on. Same sequence but with Volume Up should allow you to boot in Safe Mode (no 3rd party apps are allowed to start at boot), that could help, too.

Mark 123

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, You are always helpful, clearing the cache following the instructions in the second post worked like a charm, before I could not download three updates without it crashing back to the home screen and always crashed out when they were done, this time 15 came down fine and I had to exit like normal, no crash when it was done.

I tried a bunch of cache cleaning apps over the past three weeks, none worked, there clearly is a difference between a app and a factory reset clear cache, which I guess makes sense since some apps (running?) may have cache files locked.