Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lock to Useless program???

Since, my Note 10.1 2014 was stolen last month, I am looking for a "lock to useless" program to use on my new tablet, and phone.
    I heard mention of a program that if you tablet or phone (android)was lost or stolen, you could make it un-useable to anybody.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Will asked the same question over on XDA too..

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

Well, there is Cerberus. It's a paid app, but difficult to wipe from the device once installed.
    Here is more info on Cerberus: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...theft-app.html

There is also Android Device Manager. This one is supported by Google, but can be circumvented.
    More info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...e-manager.html
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Well, there is Cerberus. It's a paid app, but difficult to wipe from the device once installed.
    Here is more info on Cerberus: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...theft-app.html

There is also Android Device Manager. This one is supported by Google, but can be circumvented.
    More info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...e-manager.html
    Thanks for that feedback, will definitely look at Ceberus, and check on the hard to uninstall too.

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Thanks for that feedback, will definitely look at Ceberus, and check on the hard to uninstall too.
    From what I understand, once installed, Cerberus stays until a new ROM is flashed.

There are no app that can make the tab useless as u wanted. Only need hard reset or flash new ROM and the lock is gone. Only way to make it useless is to encrypt the tablet. Without password, u cant hard reset or flash new ROM on the tab.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    There are no app that can make the tab useless as u wanted. Only need hard reset or flash new ROM and the lock is gone. Only way to make it useless is to encrypt the tablet. Without password, u cant hard reset or flash new ROM on the tab.
    That's what I want, along with the tracking of the other security programs. So, I can encrypt the tablet/phone,and then add cerberus type program..

How do you encrypt? With an app?

That's what I want, along with the tracking of the other security programs. So, I can encrypt the tablet/phone,and then add cerberus type program..

How do you encrypt? With an app?
    Its at security settings.

Galaxy Note SM-P605
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Its at security settings.

Galaxy Note SM-P605
    Just went an looked at that, you mean all I have to do is enable that, and if nobody has the password, even somebody flashing the rom, they can't use it? Is it that simple?

Thanks much...

Just went an looked at that, you mean all I have to do is enable that, and if nobody has the password, even somebody flashing the rom, they can't use it? Is it that simple?

Thanks much...
    Sorry, I was wrong, it just flashing new ROM is prohibted, but still can do it in bootloader mode (with Odin) and software reset still can be made. Only way right now is Abosulute LoJack (Note 2014 supported), its built into the BIOS or firmware depends on device and even the thief facory reset the device. It will reinstall auto and you can remote control the device.
    Read more here: Persistence Technology from Absolute Software – What and How it works |
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Sorry, I was wrong, it just flashing new ROM is prohibted, but still can do it in bootloader mode (with Odin) and software reset still can be made. Only way right now is Abosulute LoJack (Note 2014 supported), its built into the BIOS or firmware depends on device and even the thief facory reset the device. It will reinstall auto and you can remote control the device.
    Read more here: Persistence Technology from Absolute Software – What and How it works |
    Again thanks for that information. Flashing the rom, would that be considered rooting? From what I have found out about Ferber us I like, except this part. Seem like in order to use the much-needed features of Ferber us you had to almost put branding stamp on your device.

Anybody using Cerberus?

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I am curious on Cerberus, but is it useful if you only have a Wifi unit?

Again thanks for that information. Flashing the rom, would that be considered rooting? From what I have found out about Ferber us I like, except this part. Seem like in order to use the much-needed features of Ferber us you had to almost put branding stamp on your device.

Anybody using Cerberus?
    Flashing ROM is not rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by iso99 View Post
    Cerberus can remote control by SMS too.

I had Cerberus on my Razr. Tested all it's functions many times but never had a "real" need for it.
    I have it on my tablet but have never tested it since I already know how it works. Lookout is another good one.
    I have both.

Quote Originally Posted by iso99 View Post
    I would like to know this also. I've looked at lookout, Cerberus and Avast anti theft but can't decide as they all seem to have a "premium service" to use all the features.

Posted via Android Central App