Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Lock to Useless program???

    Since, my Note 10.1 2014 was stolen last month, I am looking for a "lock to useless" program to use on my new tablet, and phone.
    I heard mention of a program that if you tablet or phone (android)was lost or stolen, you could make it un-useable to anybody.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance,

    Will asked the same question over on XDA too..
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,123 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Well, there is Cerberus. It's a paid app, but difficult to wipe from the device once installed.
    Here is more info on Cerberus: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...theft-app.html

    There is also Android Device Manager. This one is supported by Google, but can be circumvented.
    More info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...e-manager.html
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Well, there is Cerberus. It's a paid app, but difficult to wipe from the device once installed.
    Here is more info on Cerberus: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...theft-app.html

    There is also Android Device Manager. This one is supported by Google, but can be circumvented.
    More info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...e-manager.html
    Thanks for that feedback, will definitely look at Ceberus, and check on the hard to uninstall too.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,123 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Thanks for that feedback, will definitely look at Ceberus, and check on the hard to uninstall too.
    From what I understand, once installed, Cerberus stays until a new ROM is flashed.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    There are no app that can make the tab useless as u wanted. Only need hard reset or flash new ROM and the lock is gone. Only way to make it useless is to encrypt the tablet. Without password, u cant hard reset or flash new ROM on the tab.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    There are no app that can make the tab useless as u wanted. Only need hard reset or flash new ROM and the lock is gone. Only way to make it useless is to encrypt the tablet. Without password, u cant hard reset or flash new ROM on the tab.
    That's what I want, along with the tracking of the other security programs. So, I can encrypt the tablet/phone,and then add cerberus type program..

    How do you encrypt? With an app?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    That's what I want, along with the tracking of the other security programs. So, I can encrypt the tablet/phone,and then add cerberus type program..

    How do you encrypt? With an app?
    Its at security settings.

    Galaxy Note SM-P605
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    Its at security settings.

    Galaxy Note SM-P605
    Just went an looked at that, you mean all I have to do is enable that, and if nobody has the password, even somebody flashing the rom, they can't use it? Is it that simple?

    Thanks much...
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Just went an looked at that, you mean all I have to do is enable that, and if nobody has the password, even somebody flashing the rom, they can't use it? Is it that simple?

    Thanks much...
    Sorry, I was wrong, it just flashing new ROM is prohibted, but still can do it in bootloader mode (with Odin) and software reset still can be made. Only way right now is Abosulute LoJack (Note 2014 supported), its built into the BIOS or firmware depends on device and even the thief facory reset the device. It will reinstall auto and you can remote control the device.
    Read more here: Persistence Technology from Absolute Software – What and How it works |
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by John Woo1 View Post
    Sorry, I was wrong, it just flashing new ROM is prohibted, but still can do it in bootloader mode (with Odin) and software reset still can be made. Only way right now is Abosulute LoJack (Note 2014 supported), its built into the BIOS or firmware depends on device and even the thief facory reset the device. It will reinstall auto and you can remote control the device.
    Read more here: Persistence Technology from Absolute Software – What and How it works |
    Again thanks for that information. Flashing the rom, would that be considered rooting? From what I have found out about Ferber us I like, except this part. Seem like in order to use the much-needed features of Ferber us you had to almost put branding stamp on your device.

    Anybody using Cerberus?
  11. #11  
    iso99's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    I am curious on Cerberus, but is it useful if you only have a Wifi unit?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Again thanks for that information. Flashing the rom, would that be considered rooting? From what I have found out about Ferber us I like, except this part. Seem like in order to use the much-needed features of Ferber us you had to almost put branding stamp on your device.

    Anybody using Cerberus?
    Flashing ROM is not rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by iso99 View Post
    I am curious on Cerberus, but is it useful if you only have a Wifi unit?
    Cerberus can remote control by SMS too.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Lock to Useless program???

    I had Cerberus on my Razr. Tested all it's functions many times but never had a "real" need for it.
    I have it on my tablet but have never tested it since I already know how it works. Lookout is another good one.
    I have both.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iso99 View Post
    I am curious on Cerberus, but is it useful if you only have a Wifi unit?
    I would like to know this also. I've looked at lookout, Cerberus and Avast anti theft but can't decide as they all seem to have a "premium service" to use all the features.

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint Galaxy Note 3: tethering app w/o having to root?????
    By Losonoso in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 10:39 PM
  2. Seemingly constant traffic to svc.spd.samsungdm.com
    By blue_sector in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM
  3. App to Files on PC on Phone via 3G/WiFi?
    By androidforum in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 10:09 AM
  4. note 3 user needs advice on how to root!!!!!
    By Losonoso in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 03:45 PM
  5. Chromecast support coming to Firefox
    By Shilohcane in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions