movies for travel?

alias4cat

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, I feel like a dweeb for asking this (because I have a feeling the answer is really simple), but how do you take a DVD movie, rip it, put in on a flash (thumb) drive and then play it on our trusty tablet? I have the kitkat update and I've never ripped a DVD for tablet use.

I just ordered an OTG cable. I have thumbdrives (well, duh, who doesn't these days, right?). I have movies. I know the basics, but am confused over whether I need to reduce the movie size or whether I can copy/paste as is, formatting the thumbdrive so that the Note sees it (I keep seeing xFat or Fat32 -- what is that?), using convertor software to rip the DVD (and which to use), etc. Can anyone help with a step 1,2, 3 approach? I'm doing some traveling soon and want to take my tablet rather than my laptop. This will be my first venture taking this as an alternative. Thanks for all the great advice I've gotten from the community, btw! :)

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Here you go

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa.../381551-putting-films-onto-micro-sd-card.html

I use these steps

1. Rip dvd using dvd ripper (the ripper I use has presets for file sizes & device, I use Galaxy S4 but increase it quality until the file size is approx 1 Gb as the film is slightly pixilated if I use the preset)
2. Unmount the sd card from the tablet and Insert it in to my card reader on th pc
3. Copy the movies across to the sd card
4. Insert sd card back in tablet
5. Enjoy the movie using your favorite player

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you copy the files you already have, your tablet will be more than ready to play them. If the converted file, however, has a 'smaller' resolution than your screen or is heavily compressed, you will see pixellation. If the video has a higher resolution than your screen, the tablet will still play it but will need to shrink the image to fit your screen (this takes extra processing time, which your tablet can handle, but it will probably drain more battery than with a 'normal' video).

Converting a file with a DVD ripper is just to keep the file size 'in check'. But if your thumb drive can handle it, I suggest you don't change the original resolution and keep compression to a modest setting (higher compression means more processing time to de-compress; again, more battery drain).

If you'll be using a thumbdrive via OTG cable you should be able to see the drive, just like you would on a computer, using your phone's File Manager (or a 3rd party app of your choice).

alias4cat

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So in order to balance what I'm seeing so far, looks like I should try to copy a full movie DVD without ripping it, and using moderate compression, just to get a handle on the size of the file. If it's too large, I could rip it, but need to make sure I'm getting the right size for the Note's screen playback. No concerns about file format, such as xFAT or FAT32? I bought the OTG off Amazon, so should have that in a couple of days. Unless there are other suggestions, I can try this out....

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Check this out - it's not just cartoons but also movies and TV shows. And you have the options to:
1. Stream and play through embeded player
2. Stream and play through a custom player (meaning you choose from players installed on your galaxy note) - great for using samsung link to a TV or chromecast.
3. Download and play while offline.

http://gappcenter.com/cartoon/index.html

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So in order to balance what I'm seeing so far, looks like I should try to copy a full movie DVD without ripping it, and using moderate compression, just to get a handle on the size of the file. If it's too large, I could rip it, but need to make sure I'm getting the right size for the Note's screen playback. No concerns about file format, such as xFAT or FAT32? I bought the OTG off Amazon, so should have that in a couple of days. Unless there are other suggestions, I can try this out....

The DVD ripping part IS necessary if you don't already have a 'computer-readable' file (DVD files, directly from the disc, are usually not readable by common players, so you do have to convert it to MP4 or MOV or AVI or whatever 'common' format you choose, but the first one is the most common for mobile). As for the screen size, worry not, the resolution from DVD's is lower than your Note's resolution :) (DVD's are usually 480p, BluRays can be 720 or 1080p, your Note boasts the equivalent of 1600p). But if you want to keep the file's size in check, you could try to lower the resolution especially if ripping HD movies, but then again, you'd need to do that from a BluRay disc, not a DVD.

Fat32 vs EXFat is basically the file format from the disc, and the main differences are compatibility and file sizes. Fat32 is the most compatible one (NTFS is usually Microsoft-only, but a few other manufacturers have licensed the format to use in their devices) but limits the file size to 4GB, so if you have a movie that's too big, it might not fit into a single file unless heavily compressed. Also, most OS's limit Fat32's volume size to 32GB, so it's not ideal for large USB sticks or SD cards. EXFat is an 'extended' version, is a bit less compatible (although this would be more of a problem with older devices not so much with newer ones) but the file size limit is increased to basically as much as the volume can handle.

Hope it helps :)

PS: Oh, and I forgot, your Note's 'aspect ratio' is 16:10 (2560x1600 pixels). Most 'widescreen' movies have an aspect ratio of 16:9, so if you keep the original resolution, black bars will appear on top of the video while playing to conserve the aspect ratio intact and not have distorted images (stretched out). SD transmissions had an aspect ratio of 4:3, which causes black bars on the sides because there's just not any video to fill out the entire screen. If you want full screen video that's not distorted, you can choose to 'crop' the image while ripping the movie (most rippers give you this option) and selecting a 16:10 resolution equivalent, but doing this you usually end up 'losing' video since you're basically zooming into the image.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Here you go

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa.../381551-putting-films-onto-micro-sd-card.html

I use these steps

1. Rip dvd using dvd ripper (the ripper I use has presets for file sizes & device, I use Galaxy S4 but increase it quality until the file size is approx 1 Gb as the film is slightly pixilated if I use the preset)
2. Unmount the sd card from the tablet and Insert it in to my card reader on th pc
3. Copy the movies across to the sd card
4. Insert sd card back in tablet
5. Enjoy the movie using your favorite player

Could you please tell us which DVD ripper you use? And is it free? I just want to try this, don't really have a NEED for it, so I'd like to try a free program.
Thanks

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I use dvd ripper by Aimersoft they have a free trial that will let you rip the first 5 minutes and also puts a watermark in the middle of the picture. I played with the trial myself but didn't really want to pay the full price but when a pop up came up in the software offering nearly 75% off, I decided to get it as it only cost about ?10 in the end.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
For DVD movies, thumbdrive need to be in exFat, since most DVDs are over 4GB and fat32 have 4GB size limit. No need to convert, if u dont want to, just transfer DVD movies to thumbdrive and use compatible players that can play vob files. ex VLC, MXPlayer and alot others.

alias4cat

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, everybody, for your help. I'm going to repeat what I *think* is the overriding advice on what I should do or at least try to do.

First I DO need to rip the DVD, not just copy/paste it onto the thumbdrive. So I either need to find a good free program or pay the bucks for one. I also need to be aware of the file size since most DVDs are over 4GB and fat32 has a 4GB size limit. The movie I want to try, for instance is 7GB. So I may wish to use exFat. The thing I really learned from this is that my hope of copying a couple of movies (one each) onto multiple 1 GB drives "ain't" gonna cut it. So guess I'll be looking for a well-priced large storage thumbdrive. Beyond that, I need to find a reliable ripper. DVD ripper suggestions?

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Get an external HDD that are cheap these days with OTG cable and u have hundreds of movies to watch under yours vacation. Also can stored files in with it.
But if still wanna convert and Pavtube Chewtune is one of the best. But it cost money to buy it and free ones is eRightsoft Super.
Unless have a fast computer and using SSD with fast write speed. Then it gonna takes very long time to convert.

External HDD + OTG is the best choice for vacations watchings.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke