Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Authentication error

After returning from a trip to Florida, I was unable to log onto my home wireless network with my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. It was working fine before I left. I was able to log onto all sorts of various wireless networks at airports, restaurants, family members homes, airplanes, etc...

But no matter how many times I tried to log onto my home network, I kept getting that authentication error. I entered my password so many times, I memorized the 25 characters. I searched around the internet looking for solutions to no avail. Most references I found were 2 years old or older. And more importantly, none of them worked. My Galaxy S3 connected flawlessly. I was at my wits end. I finally decided to try a little trial and error detective work.

I went into my modem settings from my desk top and turned off security on my network.Presto, my 10.1 connected right off. Well at least I knew it could connect, now to try and figure out why it wouldn't. In looking at my modems wireless settings, I noticed the 25 character password that I've been using for years was checked as the password to be used. But than I noticed there was a 25 character "default" password that was not checked to be used.

So just for grins and giggles, I checked that box, and entered that password into the prompt on my 10.1 and SUCCESS. It connected. Of course now my S3 was left out in the cold, but after updating that password it found happiness as well. Why did this work? I have no idea, but I thought Id pass it on since I notice a lot of people seem to have this problem and thought someone else might find it useful. For what it's worth, I'm using a ActionTec modem from Q West.

Default Re: Authentication error

Does not sound like a wifi connect issue but more about password.... I find the most of the time, I "fat finger" the password entry and that is my biggest cause of grief....

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.