Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    zqz

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Default Picked up a few SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS cards

These 64GB microSD cards appear to work well.

The only app that I use this for (Amazon sells today for 29) is documents for Outlook and Adobe Acrobat.

I don't do video, music or pictures on my tablet.

Are there other uses for apps themselves to be able to take advantage of the 64gb space/speed ? Or does Kit Kat restrict installing apps on SD card? Anything else to be aware of?

Banned

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts

Default Re: Picked up a few SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS cards

Without rooting your device .... Sd cards are basically only useful for storing music and video from what i have seen

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Quote Originally Posted by zqz View Post
    These 64GB microSD cards appear to work well.

The only app that I use this for (Amazon sells today for 29) is documents for Outlook and Adobe Acrobat.

I don't do video, music or pictures on my tablet.

Are there other uses for apps themselves to be able to take advantage of the 64gb space/speed ? Or does Kit Kat restrict installing apps on SD card? Anything else to be aware of?

http://s28.postimg.org/oey9nftb1/71z...p_L_SL1500.jpg
    Some phones cannot transfer applications to external memory because the functionality has been taken out in Kit Kat. OEMs sometimes decide to add the feature themselves with their software.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Some phones cannot transfer applications to external memory because the functionality has been taken out in Kit Kat. OEMs sometimes decide to add the feature themselves with their software.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

They (google) had taken that option out a long time before Kit Kat came out ...Kit Kat just makes it worse

Yup. SD cards, unless rooted, are now only an extra space for media consumption. Any app that reads/produces media (music, videos, documents, pictures, etc.) can read/write to SD card. In KitKat, however, this is restricted to their own created folders.

If you root, you can 'trick' your device into thinking that the SD card is just a part of the device's internal memory, thus allowing you to do pretty much anything you can do with your phone's storage.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yup. SD cards, unless rooted, are now only an extra space for media consumption. Any app that reads/produces media (music, videos, documents, pictures, etc.) can read/write to SD card. In KitKat, however, this is restricted to their own created folders.

If you root, you can 'trick' your device into thinking that the SD card is just a part of the device's internal memory, thus allowing you to do pretty much anything you can do with your phone's storage.
    Not true for this tablet. Samsung has added the option to move apps to the SD card into their version of Kit Kat for it. I have most of my apps/games moved to my SD card (same one the op posted about) and I'm not rooted.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stet View Post
    Not true for this tablet. Samsung has added the option to move apps to the SD card into their version of Kit Kat for it. I have most of my apps/games moved to my SD card (same one the op posted about) and I'm not rooted.
    No.... If you actually look at the amount saved to the SD card it is a small amount making it virtually useless. Kit Kat requires the Apps to have a folder basically and it can only read and write from that Folder ....

Likewise. I have a bunch of apps that run from sd card. You have to install to external memory first then move them. Remember not all apps can be moved.

Yup, the option may be there to install to SD card, but the truth is only a very small portion of it will be moved. Most of the data is still on the device's memory.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel Jacobs View Post
    Cheap SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging - SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A Online Deal
    Attachment 126576

SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Adapter-Frustration-Free-Packaging
    For about $20 more you get better read write speeds and a better built sd card with the Samsung pro version. For about 5-10 more you get the Evo with better read and write speeds still