Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Red X on battery while connecting Note 10.1 to laptop or iMac.

Hi,

I recently purchased a Note 10.1 2014 edition, however the problem I am having is that every time i connect it to my macbook or the iMac at my office, their is a red cross across the battery icon. However, when I connect it to a USB wall charger the cross disappears.

Is their anyway to fix this? I searched online and it seems the X shows when the USB port does not have enough power to supply to the Tablet. However, I had a Nexus 10 before, and it worked perfectly OK in all cases (connected to computer, or wall charger).

Any ideas?

P.S the tablet is detected on both iMac and macbook. I can browse the file structure via android file transfer.

Default Re: Red X on battery while connecting Note 10.1 to laptop or iMac.

I had the same issue except it was connected to a windows 7 computer. I researched the issue and found out that it has the X because it "wants" to let you know that it will take a longer time to charge that way. It goes away when you either shut it down (charges the fastest) or plug it in to the wall outlet. It will still charge while connected to the computer but it will charge slowly and you could lose battery percentage if doing high battery tasks.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

You already found the problem, this tablet cannot be charged from laptop. This may have a bigger battery than Nexus and 500mA from USB port is not enough. Not a problem, a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
    You already found the problem, this tablet cannot be charged from laptop. This may have a bigger battery than Nexus and 500mA from USB port is not enough. Not a problem, a feature.
    It can be charged, just slowly, I know from experience.

Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Barash View Post
    I had the same issue except it was connected to a windows 7 computer. I researched the issue and found out that it has the X because it "wants" to let you know that it will take a longer time to charge that way. It goes away when you either shut it down (charges the fastest) or plug it in to the wall outlet. It will still charge while connected to the computer but it will charge slowly and you could lose battery percentage if doing high battery tasks.

Many thanks!