Note 10.1 (2014) making me crazy

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been through 3 devices in less than 10 days...and I was gone to a convention for 6 days, without the device I wanted to take because none of them worked!
First was samsung refurbished unit, second was a samsung refurbished unit...after that I gave up and bought new, number 3 is as bad as the first 2..
All through Amazon...
All did the exact same thing...

randomly would shut down mid use...writing in s note...mid word, it would shut down, even when I turned the sleep screen up to 30 minutes..it still would just go poof and shut down to black asleep screen.
also, randomly in any app, or the browser, even the settings menu, seems very random to me, the buttons would freeze up and refuse to work..the only way out of the dead end would be to restart the device...

after the second one did the same thing I called Samsung, the CS person walked me through the paces had me dump the task manager and close all the apps, none of which helped. I was told since the buttons were refusing to work right all I could do was send it back...so I did

After 2 refurbished units didnt work, I bit the bullet and spent the extra for a new one, tired of the crap...ok new's better right?...

New one is sitting right here next to me, doing the EXACT same thing....
I had set it all up, exactly like I had the others, mostly the same apps, setting up my accounts ect it didnt work.....so I decided to reset to factory and not download anything (except it already had downloaded the samsung update the first round)...so when I set it up the second time, I said no to everything except my wifi..

Then I launched the browser (the default one), it opens to the Samsung website, and the buttons froze up, I couldn't get out of it I sat here restarting it, then launching the browser and getting stuck and restarting it...did it 5 times...with nothing on the device..
This one has only gone to sleep on me once, literally writing a word in S Note, mid word, it went to sleep, black screen...woke it back up and it was ok to continue...

Am I just crazy to think something that cost this much, and is brand new should just work?
I've never had a problem with my other samsung devices, I love my s3 (even tho it needs replacing at this point!lol)

Any suggestions?, this is past insane....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How frustrating. This probably won't do much in your case, but try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the system cache partition--you won't erase any personal data: Reset: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition | T-Mobile Support

If that doesn't help, let me ask you this--are you using the same external SD card in your current tablet that you had on the previous two? If so, it's possible there is some corrupt file on that card that is causing the same glitch on each device. Try unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage), removing it, and rebooting. Now see if the same problems persist.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Even though the odds of you getting three defective units are very small I think that the three you got may be defective. Also I do not know of anyone else that has those same issues. I got mine from Amazon and it is a perfect unit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
It is a new 64gb sd card that I bought with the first order, I have used it in each one, So I will take it out and try again, thank you for the suggestion!
I'm completely frustrated and extremely confused how it's possible to get 3 devices in a row that are defective, let alone all with the same defect! So I think it makes sense that could be a problem...I will try it!

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
SD card seats pretty deep, maybe you are not pushing it down solid and its only half engages causing system to lock... Or as above, defective card...

Dale

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Even though the odds of you getting three defective units are very small I think that the three you got may be defective. Also I do not know of anyone else that has those same issues. I got mine from Amazon and it is a perfect unit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

I had 3 Defective ones from New Egg .... All with Lightbleeding issues on the bottom on the Screen. Wasn't bad but I have OCD to have perfect screens lol :)

bradleyem

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It is a new 64gb sd card that I bought with the first order, I have used it in each one, So I will take it out and try again, thank you for the suggestion!
I'm completely frustrated and extremely confused how it's possible to get 3 devices in a row that are defective, let alone all with the same defect! So I think it makes sense that could be a problem...I will try it!

Is it a SanDisk 64gb card? I have seen reports of lots of people having problems with them in the Note 10.1 (2014). They sometimes show an "SD Card Removed" error. Sometimes the card gets corrupted. Try using it without an SD Card for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bradleyem

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Note 10.1 (2014) used for a great price and it's been flawless. I love my Note devices (also have a Note 3 running BajaROM).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bluering48

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

It may not be a mem card problem at all. I have been with 2 Sandisk 64gb cards and one Samsung 64gb card and the problem was still there. It could be more a bug issue, check your memory card in a card reader on your computer, and if you see the folder "Android secure" delete it and take the card back in you tablet and see how it goes, this has worked to perfection for me, no issue at all now.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Your problem sounds like your Gmail account. What is the single variable that keeps going from device to device? Usually it is a person's gmail that backs up and restores the problem along with an sd card. I worked tech support and had a lady glitch out 7 brand new phones till we finally figured out her gmail brought back the problem. Try a factory reset and no sd card and a new Gmail and see of the problem goes away. Like I stated before gmail syncs and carries over everything from apps, app data, settings etc. Keep us updated.

Posted via Android Central App

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Your problem sounds like your Gmail account. What is the single variable that keeps going from device to device? Usually it is a person's gmail that backs up and restores the problem along with an sd card. I worked tech support and had a lady glitch out 7 brand new phones till we finally figured out her gmail brought back the problem. Try a factory reset and no sd card and a new Gmail and see of the problem goes away. Like I stated before gmail syncs and carries over everything from apps, app data, settings etc. Keep us updated.

I try to avoid any apps that "sync" with anything (even dislike cloud computing) because of to many apps trying to control the data and it excluded human control...

Dale

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate all the suggestions :)

Well, first, we booted into Recovery Mode and wiped the system cache partition...no difference. So second, we removed the SD Card (yes, it's a 64gb Sandisk card, and I do remember seeing the SD Card Removed message on one of the devices, but I don't remember which now, it was the first or second)..afer removing the sd card, did a complete factory reset, did not reinstall the card, started using it as normal, loaded stuff and just started using it, it did seem better...it took over an hour, just enough time for me to get hopeful but it started acting up again, I had hopes I was having bad dreams last night, and this morning within a 45 min period it shut down to sleep screen in mid use twice and buttons froze up 3 times and I had to restart..

Yes, I have reinstalled my gmail/google account, along with my dropbox, and Samsung accounts, and about 5 other apps (stuff I use on my S3 regularly)...However, the reason I don't think that's the issue (at least not the total issue is because, on the 2nd device, after I did a factory reset it still showed problems (still with sd card installed, however) I didn't install anything, just went with preloaded stuff, the only thing I did was hook up the wifi, and open the preloaded browser to the samsung site and it froze up 5x in a row...Soo....Unless I'm not understanding something, that would tell me that the Google account isn't the entire issue(?) Please let me know if I'm incorrect, and suggestions for a fix..

I hugely appreciate the help here, I really just want to love this thing, but it's not helping :) lol

I'm thinking about sending this one back and trying again, but I'd like to figure out if there's some sort of nasty bug first, my husband, formatted the SD Card last night, he say's there were folders, but he didn't really pay attention...So if there was something on the sd card it's gone now, So now we're going to factory reset this device again,...(3rd time) and connect a new gmail (I need another like I need a hole in my head) not the sd card and see how it goes..I'll let you know. Thanks again :)

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, unless someone has another idea, this one is going back too, I'm unbelievably disappointed...

Right after the above post...I factory reset device, did NOT install the sd card, I hooked up to my wifi, and created a brand new google/gmail account..I went to the play store and downloaded Moon Reader, the free version, which we've used often before...I open up the app and then tried to use the home button and its not working, there is an in app menu button that allows us to exit the app, and that did work, but not the physical home screen, back or menu buttons on the device...Then buttons froze up again in the play store, it all seems very random about when/where the buttons freeze up (sigh).....So now we at least know it's not my gmail, not my sd card............... and this is the 3rd device with these problems..

again thank you for the help :)

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I could suggest is doing another factory reset and not installing any applications that did not come with the tablet. Turn off auto update in the play store and just use the applications that come with the tablet. If it acts up with the factory applications then it is bad and I would have it replaced. If it doesn't act up, then I would start installing applications one at a time and using the tablet and try and find if it's one of the applications you are using.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you on the latest OS? I'm on 4.4.2 and have been since I unboxed my device (updated as soon as it connected to my WiFi). I bought mine through Woot, it was a refurbished device but has been perfect.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

That isn't possible....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2