Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hangouts Works w/ S5 but Not GN/2014

Both running KK. S5 came with KK and I upgraded to KK with the GN/2014. I don't have a Google+ account and don't want one. I only mentioned that because on the tab, I remember getting some kind of message about signing in with Google Plus. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working on my GN?
    Thanks

Default Re: Hangouts Works w/ S5 but Not GN/2014

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Both running KK. S5 came with KK and I upgraded to KK with the GN/2014. I don't have a Google+ account and don't want one. I only mentioned that because on the tab, I remember getting some kind of message about signing in with Google Plus. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working on my GN?
    Thanks
    Your tablet is the WiFi version correct? Hangouts is essentially the way you chat within Google+. If however you are able to send text messages from your device (any phone or the 3G or LTE version of our tablet) then Hangouts has a dual role... chatting mechanism for G+ and it can also be your default text messaging app. If you have the SM-P600 then the only thing you can do with Hangouts is chat with other Google+ contacts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Charles, this thread, I think, indicates that Hangouts can be used via wifi only. Would you mind reading it please and tell me if you get the same indication.
    As for Google+, I'm able to use Hangouts with my S5 and I don't have a Google+ account (that I know of )
    And while trying to get it to work with my wifi only tab, my daughter and I were able to message using Hangouts. That
    confused her how we could do that but not video. Me? I pretty much stay in a state of confusion when it comes
    to all this. I used to be so smart (sigh)
    https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/NtuqzCCQ4OY

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Charles, this thread, I think, indicates that Hangouts can be used via wifi only. Would you mind reading it please and tell me if you get the same indication.
    As for Google+, I'm able to use Hangouts with my S5 and I don't have a Google+ account (that I know of )
    And while trying to get it to work with my wifi only tab, my daughter and I were able to message using Hangouts. That
    confused her how we could do that but not video. Me? I pretty much stay in a state of confusion when it comes
    to all this. I used to be so smart (sigh)
    https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/NtuqzCCQ4OY
    okay now I'm confused as well since I have an LTE tablet and I use Google+ I should have let somebody else answer your question lol

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

You are probably using Hangouts to send text messages with the S5 and is not connected to your Google+ profile. Since the Note 10.1 is a WiFi device, you can't send sms/mms messages. Instead, if using Hangouts, it will need to connect to your Google+ account in order to "Hangout" with people on your friends list.

By default, you do have a Google+ account. You just need to sign in with your Google credentials to activate it. Why do you need to use Hangouts on your Note 10.1? Perhaps there's another solution instead of using Hangouts.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    You are probably using Hangouts to send text messages with the S5 and is not connected to your Google+ profile. Since the Note 10.1 is a WiFi device, you can't send sms/mms messages. Instead, if using Hangouts, it will need to connect to your Google+ account in order to "Hangout" with people on your friends list.

By default, you do have a Google+ account. You just need to sign in with your Google credentials to activate it. Why do you need to use Hangouts on your Note 10.1? Perhaps there's another solution instead of using Hangouts.
    Yes...in fact, you can verify that. .open hangouts....click on one of your contacts to view the messages....look to the left of the text box and it'll likely be a gray icon indicating "SMS/MMS" which you can toggle back and forth to "hangouts". You simply won't have the SMS/MMS option on your WiFi tablet...you'll have to HSE hangouts...which means only messaging other users with a Google ID

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've got grandbabies here now but I'll check into this later. But, texting isn't the problem. I've just started using Hangouts for video chat. It works with my phone but not my tablet. I'd much rather use my tab to talk to the babies (6 and 8) than my phone.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post

I don't want to use Hangouts to send text messages. I use it on my S5 for video chat. I'd LIKE to use it on my GN 2014 for video chat but can't figure out how to get it to work. It won't connect... yet it works on my S5. I haven't logged into a Google plus acct on either device.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

OK, It worked this time on GN 2014. However, since the tab is wifi only & my phone is 4G, the video plays better on my phone. The tablet was also much slower to Connect. Maybe that's why I thought it wasn't working when I tried it previously.

Hangouts worked fine for me recently while I was away for a week on a course. I was signed in to google and was able to chat with the wife in the evenings using the hotels wifi. The only issue I occasionally had was a delay in sound, but I put that down to being on a crappy wifi
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat31b View Post
    Hangouts worked fine for me recently while I was away for a week on a course. I was signed in to google and was able to chat with the wife in the evenings using the hotels wifi. The only issue I occasionally had was a delay in sound, but I put that down to being on a crappy wifi
    That's what my problem was too.