Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast and GN/2014

Can I use this to watch videos I've taken with my GN/2014 (or S5 for that matter) on my HDMI tv?
    Thanks
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Chromecast and GN/2014

Thanks Paul! I knew I heard something about this in the last day or so. Just ordered a Chromecast and will be picking it up tomorrow at WM Do you think it will work with Sumsung Hub movies I've purchased on my GN/2014?

YES NOW you can, with the latest version of the Chromecast app. I really love Chromecast, and with screen mirroring, love it even more. One little annoying glitch is, that after you watch something, turn everything off, and come back the next time, there is no sounds. I have to unplug the device from the tv, also from the power to the device, wait a few seconds then reconnect all and it works fine. I also use it to show photos on my tablet to a group of people, right on the big screen. Very cool device, tiny price, and now that it screen casts, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Do you think it will work with Sumsung Hub movies I've purchased on my GN/2014?
    It should, as long as you turn on "cast screen" in the Chromecast app, it just mirrors whatever you see on the tablet to your tv
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Diane, how are you doing? I hope much much better!
    I can't watch the pyv Samsung movies with cast screen. I tried it today. Everything else is working like it should. I tried using the default video player and MX Pro. I can watch YouTube videos and do the cast screen. I've only used it for one session so I don't know if I'll run into the problem you have or not. I did run into an issue with it not being compatible with my Linksys E2000 router but found a Youtube video (for the Linksys E3000) that made a change in the advanced router settings. A reboot of the router after the change and it's working great Do you use the provided AC adapter or just plug the usb cable directly to the tv? The AC adapter is supposed to help with wifi speed (I think). I use it but would rather not because of the unsightly cable.

The 2 tvs I use Chromecast do not have a usb port, so I use the ac adapter. Isn't that nuts, about the Samssung videos. What do you use to watch them on the tablet? If you can cast the screen, and play the movie I wonder what is stopping it from just casting? You have had issues with those from the start. I still have a crappy Lynksys 1200 which gives me other issues, but has not had any problems with Chromecast.

I'm hanging in there, not great, but a bit better, thanks for asking.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well it happened Diane The 2nd time I tried to use my Chromecast, I had a picture but no sound. I did what you said but it didn't work....BUT, I may not have the device seated well. The tv is up on the wall way over my short self. When the babies leave I plan on working on this. I wonder if there will be a fix for the sound issue?

I also have the Samsung 3d BluRay Player that supports mirroring. I can play Samsung Hub Movies on my main tv from the Note 10.1 (2014 edition). Also has Netflix built in. I also have chromecast on another tv. It mirrors everything, including movies from google play movie store but will not play Samsung Hub movies.

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Well it happened Diane The 2nd time I tried to use my Chromecast, I had a picture but no sound. I did what you said but it didn't work....BUT, I may not have the device seated well. The tv is up on the wall way over my short self. When the babies leave I plan on working on this. I wonder if there will be a fix for the sound issue?
    Ya, the hdmi connection is very unforgiving. Any cable/device really needs to be perfectly seated. I keep an L shaped hdmi adapter plugged into the port, then just have to pull out the Chromecast and unplug the power supply cable. I wait about half aminute, then plug Chromecast back into hdmi, then plug back in the power cord. I just do this when I'm done watching, so next time I'm in that room it just works from the start.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

OK, it looks like the audio issue might be fixed. To help me plug and unplug Chromecast easier, I attached the optional HDMI extender (used to improve fit and WiFi connection). I used the device in both modes (normal and cast screen). Then I disconnected and turned off the tv for a few minutes, restarted both and had audio in both modes. Then I turned the tv back to tv mode and then back to HDMI Side and tried again. Again, I had sound I got a tablet error message during all this about a couple Android processes failing. I restarted. My background had reverted back to solid blue. I've run the Chromecast in both modes again and all is running well so far. Diane, have you tried the optional HDMI extender?

I can watch Google Play Store movies but they have to be UNpinned first. When you REpin them, they have to be redownloaded....not a good thing when you're on a satellite system with 10GB/month limit.

I can't use the regular hdmi extender, the hdmi ports on the tv I use Chromecast on stupidly has a very short area, so I use an L shaped one, which even that is tight space wize, but works. I'm glad you got it working, other than the stupid samsung hub stuff.

Boy I could not live with a 10gb data limit. Im always either watching something from online, or streaming pandora, songster, or google play music most of the day.