Installed a CPU Temperature App

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been concerned about the heat my tablet generates during a couple of games the grandkids play on my GN/2014. Nothing else I do on the tab generates noticeable heat. I'm worried the heat is hurting the components. With the tab on but screen off, the CUP temp registered 79.2. After less than 10 minutes playing Hay Day, it was up to 104.7. I'm guessing it gets hotter. So what is too hot? Is 104.7 anything to be concerned about?

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Is 104.7 anything to be concerned about?

High operating temperatures shorten the lifetime of the device.
104,7 is high if it's Celsius. But low if it's Fahrenheit. But in any case the Note is still working, as you see. The tablet can handle it. But I wouldn't do it for hours on end.

Last edited:

Drack648

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
My Note also gets too hot after using it a short period of time. I'm talking about 10-15 min. Should I be worried about?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
We're quite sensitive to temperatures that are surprisingly low when measured by an instrument (thermometer, IR sensor...). This is a protective reflex. What feels hot can often be only around 45°. Tissue damage can occur at only 50°. I'm not suggesting the device will be too happy at these temperatures if sustained for hours, my point is that it's probably not getting as high as you think.

EDIT: Sorry, I presume that the OP was talking fahrenheits, but mine are degrees Celsius. If it was 104° Celsius, I'd love to see a video of an egg being cooked on the tablet! :)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I am talking Fahrenheit. I wish someone could give me an educated answer on "how hot is too hot?" Surely there is a number or a warning before you get to that point. I don't want my tablet's innards frying!

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Well I've heard gamers who install coolers on their video cards talk about trying to keep their GPU under 80°. That's in a PC desktop case, although I suppose the temperature is absolute. I would say that at 104 fahrenheits or 40° you have quite a long way to go before it gets dangerous to the chip.

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Most CPU's nowadays run at around 35-45° Celsius (195-113° fahrenheit) I would start to worry if the temps was staying at around 55° (131° fahrenheit) or higher for any length of time

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I am talking Fahrenheit. I wish someone could give me an educated answer on "how hot is too hot?" Surely there is a number or a warning before you get to that point. I don't want my tablet's innards frying!

One time I was playing an intense game and a message popped up saying that my tablet was getting too hot and it shut down. It took about 10 minutes for it to cool down.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I would think that your tablet would warn you if the temperature was too high. My GS3 hits 120-130 F when I am mirroring it to my tv and watching movies. I have yet to get a warning or for the phone to shut down.