sketchbook for galaxy - importing .psd files

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I follow the instructions in the manual, which I can only find for version 2.8.2....I have version 2.9.2, when I try to import the only option that allows me to search for an existing .psd file is es file explorer (I don't use Dropbox) and .psds don't show up in gallery or the sketchbook option. Those are the only programmes allowed which I have.

So when I try to do it using es explorer, there are two options, both of which fail and say "oops that file format isn't supported yet".... which is in direct contradiction of what the sketchbook manual says.

Since I can't import a psd file and I can't figure out where the "sketchbook gallery" files are stored or even what format they are in (I expected .psd....but if so they are stored with a different file name than they are exported with), I dont know how I can keep some layered sketches which I have and still work on them in sketchbook after I do a factory reset, which I need to do. I also want to collaborate on some layered sketches with someone else who also has the same galaxy note, which we can't do if the importing layered sketches doesn't work.

Exporting works with no issues .psd, .jpg, .png, importing works with .jpg. But I really need a way to either open a .psd with sketchbook (when I try to open from es file manager, random other programmes are suggested, but not sketchbook) or import a .psd file into sketchbook.

I never tried with version 2.8.2, but if someone could test if it worked in that version (since it clearly states it can in that manual) and/or knows a solution with version 2.9.2, I would be eternally grateful !!!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I also want to collaborate on some layered sketches with someone else who also has the same galaxy note, which we can't do if the importing layered sketches doesn't work.
!!

You cannot import .psd file, you can only export to .psd, then work on that file in native photoshop or any of the ps clones out there.

The best (albeit clunky and cumbersome), is to save your work, to the gallery, located in the auto desk folder, then rename it via any file manager app (I use astro file) to a name that has meaning, instead of the default assigned names that sketchbook saves as, just keep the .tiff extension. Then just share, email, cloud, or whatever to who you want to collaborate with. If they have the GS Note with Sketchbook, they need to save it to the autodesk folder on their device so it will show up in the sketchbook gallery for the other person to be able to open it and have the layers intact.

It's clunky but works just fine that way. The layering mechanism is part of the sketchbook app itself

Hope that helps

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
You cannot import .psd file, you can only export to .psd, then work on that file in native photoshop or any of the ps clones out there.

The best (albeit clunky and cumbersome), is to save your work, to the gallery, located in the auto desk folder, then rename it via any file manager app (I use astro file) to a name that has meaning, instead of the default assigned names that sketchbook saves as, just keep the .tiff extension. Then just share, email, cloud, or whatever to who you want to collaborate with. If they have the GS Note with Sketchbook, they need to save it to the autodesk folder on their device so it will show up in the sketchbook gallery for the other person to be able to open it and have the layers intact.

It's clunky but works just fine that way. The layering mechanism is part of the sketchbook app itself

Hope that helps

Thanks for that work around, we'll give that a try tomorrow and see how we get on. I'm very relieved indeed to find that there's a way to put back backed up files and get them to show up in the sketchbook gallery! Even if my current psd backups are useless! Thanks again!

We should be able to do it with psd files though, according to their own user manual:
2014-07-29-23-36-57.jpg

That screenshot is from the autodesk sketchbook for galaxy manual. As I mentioned though, it's for version 2.8.2, which updated recently to 2.9.2.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ya well I agree user documentation should be correct, but rarely is *sigh*

But this work around works well, just have to have good file management and naming convention abilities

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Agreed!

Yeah, now that I realise they are tiff files, I will be renaming as I go.... It is super frustrating that they don't allow "save as".... Their naming system seems insane to me! I'm glad I found out before I got too big a collection of sketches!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ya for such a really good, for the most part app, the file and format mechanisms are severely lacking.

I've even tried to save a photoshop created file to tiff format with layers, and send that to my tablet, autodesk folder, sketchbook, it will open but as a flattened image with no layers

Frustrating, but at least a way to work around, cuz I share and collaborate on this stuff all the time too so had to find a way.

Too bad samsung and autodesk support are so useless

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh and another dumb thing, you don't see the file names in the stupid gallery ughh.

What I did to help that was create a layer with the file name that I see in the gallery, then just hide as I work on it, then unhide before I save

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
OMFG! @Uschiekid you are gonna love me. I JUST figured out how to actually import psd file, even one created with Photoshop, with layers intact.

You got me thinking and I went on a mission. I started an email volley w/autodesk support and they had the answer. The instructions are poor and miss how to do it but here it is ;

Open the app
Open gallery
Once gallery is open, tap the three verticle dots on the far right corner
That will open to "new from image" , tap that
At that point you can navigate to where any psd file (exported from the app OR created in PS)

and it MAGICALLY opens in Sketchbook LAYERS INTACT!

TADAAAAA

:-D

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
You're right, I DO love you! You are my very favourite Teldy!

Shame on me for thinking the manual would show the correct way :p
and a further shame on me for not harassing autodesk support!

I had seen that option countless times but had always interpreted "image" as jpg/photo.... never imagining it meant layered sketch as well!

The interesting thing is it works when I choose a file using es file browser, even (with kitkat) from an external sd card, but didn't work with the native file browser, even directed to a file on the internal storage. You'd think autodesk and Samsung would get that straight since they are both programs designed specifically for the galaxy line. Ah well, it works with 3rd party apps, so no complaints here!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty messed up that "My Files" can't connect the dots to open a psd with sketchbook. I never knew that because I never use it. I have always only used Astrofile for my file mgr on all my android devices.

Glad to have found how to do this with all psd files. Poor documentation, poor / non intuitive interface, but at least a solution.

I feel I have been productive today. Now I can pour some wine then take a nap. (The joys of being OLD :-D )

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Definitely! I never bothered using it until kitkat caused its issues with sd cards.

Yeah, the non-intuitive bit would be OK, if they documented it properly. Or poor documentation would be OK, if it were intuitive, but lacking both is the kicker. Glad it does work though!

Definitely deserve that wine and nap! But I hope they aren't only perks for the old :) I enjoy both way too much, and hope to for years to come :D

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Definitely! I never bothered using it until kitkat caused its issues with sd cards.

Yeah, the non-intuitive bit would be OK, if they documented it properly. Or poor documentation would be OK, if it were intuitive, but lacking both is the kicker. Glad it does work though!

Definitely deserve that wine and nap! But I hope they aren't only perks for the old :) I enjoy both way too much, and hope to for years to come :D

Ya I am EXTREMELY sensitive to poor documentation as I WAS a technical documentation writer for many years for a small software company and went to great lengths to make sure instructions were clear and correct, step by step.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well well well, yet another discovery I have made, in regard to this issue. You CAN indeed import psd files from the Samsung native "my files"
You have to not tap the file that you navigate to in my files, but tap the circle then tap done and the psd imports just fine into sketchbook. :), this one I figured out all by myself

myfiles_psdimport.jpg

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Genius, pure genius!

But really, how silly is a program designed that you can't just click on a file when opening from within the program you want to use to open it. Not to mention that you can't even seem to link psd files to open with sketchbook automatically.

Ah well, glad it does work. Pour yourself another glass of wine! You deserve it!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ya very silly, that's one of the many reasons I don't use my files, it's a poorly designed file mgmnt program. I just love and always use astro file.

motfis

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I want to ask, what do you mean by the circle? I use galaxy note 3, and I cannot see the circle in "my file".
Also I am not using sketchbook for galaxy v.3, and I cannot import both psd & tiff...

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I want to ask, what do you mean by the circle? I use galaxy note 3, and I cannot see the circle in "my file".
Also I am not using sketchbook for galaxy v.3, and I cannot import both psd & tiff...

The circle looks like a form radio button. Look at the screen shots above. Not sure what you see on a galaxy note 3. And My Files is the stock file manager on the Note 10.1 2014.

Don't really know what to tell you as I don't have a note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith