Need dummy-proof screen protector! (Possibly shatterproof?)

lavykins

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet. At this point after looking at all my options I'm getting ready to pull the trigger but after reading some of the threads in this forum about screen cracking, I'm feeling a bit paranoid. I'm really bad with dropping electronics, and I do not want to wind up with a cracked screen, however I've heard even the Poetic cases can't save the fragile 10 inch glass of the galaxy note.

I was looking into tempered glass screen overlays, but half of what I will be using this tablet for is drawing and pen sensitivity is important. It's the number 1 reason I decided on this tablet.

Can anyone with a screen protector give me some ideas about pen functionality with it? Has anyone dropped their tablet with a screen protector on it? Has anyone had their glass break with one on?

I've seen too many broken screens to feel safe without the best protection I can buy. A warranty is an option but they only cover you for 2 years and I'm hoping to extend the life of my tablet to at least double that, so investing in a protector now might save me the trouble. Any help is super appreciated!

(In an unrelated inquiry, why do they call it both the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 4? Anyone else find that weird?)

Edit: wow I had no idea that word was censored... let's go with "dummy proof" instead

Last edited:

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forum lavykins.
First off, let's be clear the Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 is not a Note;

The Note has a Wacom digitizer & Spen stylus, not available on the Tab 4.
The Note has an 8 megapixel camera instead of 3 megapixel camera in the Tab 4..
The Note has a much denser 2560x1600 pixel display instead of 1280x800 for the Tab 4.
The Note has a Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore) processor as opposed to a 1.2 GHz Quad-Core in the Tab 4.

I'm not sure where you hear the Note 10.1 screen is more fragile than any other?
Some people report that the screen ribbon cable comes loose if you drop this tablet.

There are some "Armored" cases available for the Note 10.1 2014. (like the Otterbox)
They add a lot of bulk and may protect against a drop on a corner or absolutely flat.
Nothing is going to save a tablet screen if it takes a hit directly.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I think all the screen protectors affect s-pen sensitivity. I've tried a few and was not happy. I keep my Note in a simple Fintie case for basic protection. I'd say just learn to be more careful and keep the thought that this is a pricey tablet and needs to be taken care of. I've had mine almost a year and love it just as much as the first day. I draw and doodle and write little quick notes to myself all day. The S-pen just makes this tablet an amazing and very personal device.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Samsung recommends NOT to use screen protectors ... For what ever its worth... States it cuts screen (touch) sensitivity...

Dale

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I hear that screen protectors contribute to pen offset.
I don't know this to be fact, as I don't use one.

If you're not buying this tablet for all the features that Spen offers maybe a more ruggedized one would be a better choice for you?

Last edited:

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Armorsuit military shield, it fits snuggly like a Trojan should. Get that latex goodness on your screen, where each stroke of your stylus will be felt by the screen behind the protector. Does that sound good to you? Check it out at www.armorsuit.com or search it on youtube for a video demonstration.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
This may work fine for a normal touchscreen but I've already pointed out that this is a Wacom tablet.

There will be issues, and soft screen protectors really screw up the feel of the Note's stylus.
(speaking from using my wife's Note2 with a screen protector)

Add link; http://www.wacom.com/en/us/

Last edited:

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, then the person that's asking the question just have to think about getting a good insurance policy, go naked, and hope that gorilla glass work as it should.

Edit: A cover casing may save you when that unlucky drop occures, plus it looks good...

Last edited:

lavykins

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, then the person that's asking the question just have to think about getting a good insurance policy, go naked, and hope that gorilla glass work as it should.

Edit: A cover casing may save you when that unlucky drop occures, plus it looks good...

I found they offer 3 year accidental damage and spills on amazon for 100 extra dollars, which seems worth it to me, so naked screen it is! I might get one of those flip cases. Still making sure I want the note 10.1 as opposed to maybe the Surface Pro 2 or something like that, still leaning towards the note. :) I'll be ordering this or the surface next weekend! Can't wait! (Also I hear that it may not actually contain gorilla glass? There was just as many "no's" as "yes's" to that question and I see no official proof. It's not listed as one of the samsung devices containin)

sure why not - Thank you! I was horribly confused since they looked roughly the same on the outside. That could have been a really frustrating purchase lol.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree, Have it on my Original Note 10.1, 10.1 2014 and Note 8.0.

Pen works fine, protector is great, only thing some might find is the pen feels different if you push hard, I naturally don't so I hardly notice the difference if feel between one with and without.

(Tricky putting on till you get it down, I always order 2, lots of spray and don't endlessly try to get every bubble out, if you have a few left that are tiny they will go away in about 4 days.)

After you get it application down it will be totally bubble free.

Armorsuit military shield, it fits snuggly like a Trojan should. Get that latex goodness on your screen, where each stroke of your stylus will be felt by the screen behind the protector. Does that sound good to you? Check it out at Screen Protectors & Skin Protectors | ArmorSuit MilitaryShield or search it on youtube for a video demonstration.

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Whether you use a screen protector or not, also consider the type of case you will be getting. Some of the cases out there were designed to absorb some of the shock to reduce the possibility of a screen shatter. Griffin Survivor and the OutterBox Defender are two cases I have used on other tablets and they are great doing just that. The OutterBox Defender ended up being something I kept on the device.

Good luck on your search.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a screen protector from Verizon. Am seriously thinking of removing it. Lags a lot when using and I really think it's the screen protector. I do have the tempered glass on my note3 but the tablet is different.

Posted from my awesome Note3

Raymond Hubbard

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I was reading the original pdf manual for the 10.1 and Samsung recommends that you do not use a protector since it will affect the screen with the Spen.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier thought about removing screen protector. I did and like so much better. I am very careful with my electronics so I wasn't nervous removing it.

Posted via Android Central App

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I was reading the original pdf manual for the 10.1 and Samsung recommends that you do not use a protector since it will affect the screen with the Spen.

Of course Samsung going to tell you not to apply screen protection. If the phone breaks, you may buy another Samsung phone. Really though, that is not the reason that they doesn't want you to use a screen protector, at least I hope not. It should be that they're worry that the screen protector will interfer with the s-pen, which may or may not be depending on the screen protector. The interference will make the users complain, and therefore affect the phone sale, which is what's all about. Any way, I think the only way to know whether screen protector effects the s-pen is to try it for your self. I stand by what I said about armor suit shield; it's not your average $3 for 5 plastic shield. It is U.S. Army grade of material with a life time warranty behind it. That's why it costs ~$10. On my phone with a good capacitive stylus (which I think s-pen is, if it's not, you need to get another stylus, it's very important), I'm floating on top of my phone screen with swift keyboard, just like with pen and paper.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
.... It should be that they're worry that the screen protector will interfer with the s-pen, which may or may not be depending on the screen protector. The interference will make the users complain, and therefore affect the phone sale, which is what's all about. Any way, I think the only way to know whether screen protector effects the s-pen is to try it for your self. On my phone with a good capacitive stylus (which I think s-pen is, if it's not, you need to get another stylus, it's very important), I'm floating on top of my phone screen with swift keyboard, just like with pen and paper.
Um, NO, it definitely is not a capacitive stylus.
"Getting another stylus" would mean a Wacom Bamboo stylus or even a Surface stylus.... but it would not fit in the storage port or trigger the menu when removed.
Not All Tablet Styluses Are Equal: Capacitive, Wacom, and Bluetooth Explained
HowStuffWorks "How Wacom Tablets Work"

A Wacom digitizer and stylus work in concert to provide an experience far beyond touch screen.
The pen (not screen) is pressure sensitive and offers over a thousand levels of pressure differentiation.
The Wacom digitizer has 'hand rejection' so you can rest on it while drawing or writing.
The stylus' resonance is recognized without even touching the screen.
The stylus will bring up a contextual menu on screen with the push of a button.
The stylus can be flipped around to erase just like a pencil.

I have to question if you have ever used any Note device, or something similar like a Cintiq or even a MS Surface Pro.
I could care less if you are here to shill your favorite screen protector, but there is no reason to be spreading so much misinformation about our tablet just because you saw 'screen protector' in the thread title.
I'm not the only one who has pointed this out.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The screen protector tor did interfere with my using the spen as well as causing lag and be I g unresponsive. I do have a case but I am also not rough on my gadgets. People need to do what is best for themselves. I do have the tempered glass protection on my phone. My tablet works best without.

Posted via Android Central App

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response Jude!
It is good of you to offer some actual back to back experience.

Do you use your Note for drawing, or simply for writing?

I agree 100% that a pocket device that is in constant use (like a phone) needs a screen protector.

My Note 10.1 2014 wears it's bluetooth keyboard as a screen cover when out and about, but I haven't seen the need for a stick on protector.
The only thing that touches my screen is a fingertip or the S-pen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC