Speech to Text Doesn't Work too Good

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 phone (KK 4.4.4) and the speech to text works like a champ but on my GN/2014, not so much. I'm using the Google speech to text on my phone and I think I am on the tablet. How do I find out for sure and what do I look for to see if I can update it?
Thanks

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 phone (KK 4.4.4) and the speech to text works like a champ but on my GN/2014, not so much. I'm using the Google speech to text on my phone and I think I am on the tablet. How do I find out for sure and what do I look for to see if I can update it?
Thanks

Go to settings, language and input and see if they Google speech to text is checked.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Under Language and Input, Google Voice Typing is selected. I was hoping there was an update that would improve the STT feature. My S5 is sooo much better.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Gotta agree, my Galaxy S4 the speech to text is a great alternative to typing, about 90% accurate. On the GN 2014 10.1 its not even functional, with a less that 50% accuracy. I have given up on trying to use it.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Under Language and Input, I show Samsung Keyboard. Is there a Google keyboard and could that be the problem?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed the Google keyboard and gave the speech to text a good workout. I can confidently say it was much more accurate than the Samsung keyboard (even tho I'm not typing, I'm talking!)...hummmm. Thanks itguyjax

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Google keyboard and gave the speech to text a good workout. I can confidently say it was much more accurate than the Samsung keyboard (even tho I'm not typing, I'm talking!)...hummmm. Thanks itguyjax

No problem at all, glad I could help out.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Gotta agree, my Galaxy S4 the speech to text is a great alternative to typing, about 90% accurate. On the GN 2014 10.1 its not even functional, with a less that 50% accuracy. I have given up on trying to use it.

dianehelen, using the Google keyboard has GREATLY increased the speech to text feature on our tablet! Give it a try. It's as accurate as my Galaxy S5 phone.